20 Cheapest Dual Cores compared
Lightbulb 
Who/What:
I'm in the research stage for a new build. I quickly realised that a lot has changed since the last time I looked deeply into hardware. (Apparently AMD socket A circa 2002 isn't all the rage any more.) Being someone with more time than money, I decided to compare the 20 cheapest dual core processors on Newegg.com

Why:
Anything on this list should be more than enough to effectively run xbmc, but in my particular case I'm spec'ing a desktop that will likely find its way in front of a tv in the next few years, so I'm thinking ahead. I quickly discovered that AMD and Intel both have really confusing hierarchy's for their product lines. Many similar names for different lines without clear distinction of how they compare.

How:
I referenced the newegg.com website for current prices and cpubenchmark.com for the comparison stats. Some of the results are as expected, some I was a bit surprised by. Performance doesn't always follow price, clock speed, or Manufacturer.

Note:
This comparison does not take into account overclockability, or real world power draw.

Care to expand on my work? Here's the spreadsheet.
Question 
If you factor in overclockability and real power draw doing normal computer tasks (ie. light encoding/ripping, x264 playback, online streaming, listening to tunes.) What do you think is the best bang for your buck?
Its hard to beat any of the AMD Regor chips in terms of price / performance.
So... you recreated this?
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_value_available.html
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
darkscout Wrote:So... you recreated this?
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_value_available.html

My aim was more to pull out a sampling of cheap dual cores that were more likely to be used in xbmc builds and have a bit of discussion about them. My table has a bit more info about some of the specs of the processors as well as limits it to what's actually for sale in that range on newegg. That comparison site is huge. Also some of the prices were at least 10% off while others were spot on with newegg.

I did it more for myself, but thought I'd be helpful and share with others.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
20 Cheapest Dual Cores compared0