Is Boxee infringing on the rights of XBMC?
usminion Wrote:We'll see what the lawyers say.
It seems to me you are hell bent on starting trouble for both boxee and xbmc.
And Because you lost the battle over at boxee you decide to start trouble here.
Davilla was wrong to call you a troll, he should have said Douchbag.
XBMC Frodo 12 - Windows 7 - Asrock Ion 330HT - Aeon Nox
paul Wrote:It seems to me you are hell bent on starting trouble for both boxee and xbmc.

Correction, I called Bulkzooi a troll, not usminion Smile
paul Wrote:It seems to me you are hell bent on starting trouble for both boxee and xbmc.

Can you answer my questions? Don't you think that both Boxee and XBMC deserve to benefit from having the question answered?

I'm not after starting trouble. These are valid licensing questions. And I didn't lose the battle at boxee, the thread was closed before the question was answered. In fact the moderators at Boxee suggested I communicate my concerns with members of this forum.

I am only trying to clarify my rights as a user of open source software. Boxee was really the appropriate place for these questions because it deals with their licensing practices and they decided to pass the buck to XBMC. Now I am being told that only lawyers can provide real answers, so I am following the logical progression. The questions need to be posed to avoid ambiguity around the licenses and around the distribution of closed source, license-less modules with open source projects (and specifically the GPL).

Call me what you will, I believe the community deserves a solid answer.
usminion Wrote:Call me what you will, I believe the community deserves a solid answer.

So do I, but I am confused what the exact question is...

Can, I, 3rd party plugin developer, distribute closed-source binary (with no apparent license?), with an open-source plugin for an open-source project?
usminion Wrote:Can you answer my questions? Don't you think that both Boxee and XBMC deserve to benefit from having the question answered?

I'm not after starting trouble. These are valid licensing questions. And I didn't lose the battle at boxee, the thread was closed before the question was answered. In fact the moderators at Boxee suggested I communicate my concerns with members of this forum.

I am only trying to clarify my rights as a user of open source software. Boxee was really the appropriate place for these questions because it deals with their licensing practices and they decided to pass the buck to XBMC. Now I am being told that only lawyers can provide real answers, so I am following the logical progression. The questions need to be posed to avoid ambiguity around the licenses and around the distribution of closed source, license-less modules with open source projects (and specifically the GPL).

Call me what you will, I believe the community deserves a solid answer.

Perhaps asking something like this over at boxee forums would have resulted in an direct answer.

Quote:I'd like to re-distribute bxflplayer in binary form. I understand this is a closed source application. It this permitted and if so do I need a license agreement ?

See, simple question and no additional issues of open source vs closed source, the philosophy of GPL or Boxee's relationship with XBMC.
davilla Wrote:Perhaps asking something like this over at boxee forums would have resulted in an direct answer.

See, simple question and no additional issues of open source vs closed source, the philosophy of GPL or Boxee's relationship with XBMC.

Perhaps, but you are starting from the end of the conversation. The questions asked in the thread evolved over the course of the conversation and I wouldn't have known what to ask at the beginning without asking every question in between.
usminion Wrote:Perhaps, but you are starting from the end of the conversation. The questions asked in the thread evolved over the course of the conversation and I wouldn't have known what to ask at the beginning without asking every question in between.

Then, re-ask the question over at the boxee forums and see what happens.
usminion Wrote:I am only trying to clarify my rights as a user of open source software. Boxee was really the appropriate place for these questions because it deals with their licensing practices and they decided to pass the buck to XBMC. Now I am being told that only lawyers can provide real answers, so I am following the logical progression. The questions need to be posed to avoid ambiguity around the licenses and around the distribution of closed source, license-less modules with open source projects (and specifically the GPL).

I have been reading this the whole day, I am still not understanding what you want to do.

1. its free software, if you want to use it just download it and knock yourself out.

2. if you want to distribute bxflplayer, please say so

3. dont you think that your time, or everyone elses on this thread could be used more wisely than answering your questions over and over again, at Boxee forum and here?

4. for the love of God, watch a movie or something, but please stop with this nonsense and lawyers because you couldnt get the answer to the question you didnt even ask.
I re-read the question and it is fundamentally flawed. Every piece of software which is distributed has a license and a copyright implicitly if not explicitly. So, I did ask the right question:

Quote:Where can I find the license for bxflplayer?

And no one has ever been able to answer the question.
usminion Wrote:I re-read the question and it is fundamentally flawed. Every piece of software which is distributed has a license and a copyright implicitly if not explicitly. So, I did ask the right question:

And no one has ever been able to answer the question.

I will say this only once, so listen carefully

ask at the boxee forum as its their software, nothing to do with XBMC
Amet Wrote:I will say this only once, so listen carefully

ask at the boxee forum as its their software, nothing to do with XBMC

I did and they sent me here...
usminion Wrote:I did and they sent me here...

which part of "It is not part of XBMC" dont you understand?

ask at the boxee forum, tell them you want the license for their player, we cannot answer your questions about Boxee here. check the title, it should read "XBMC Comunity Forum"

end of story.
Thanks for your replies.
usminion Wrote:Thanks for your replies.

any time
Quote:I did and they sent me here...
I assume you mean this post http://forum.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=17224 where you basically accussed them all of being in volation of the gpl and not giving us back enough and that $25,000 was a puny amount.
They answered your question and said go for it if you want to distribute bfxplayer. So your questions have been answered twice (once by them once by us) and still either don't read them or don't believe them.

If you really have problems with boxee then take it up with them in a proper email way to the company don't post questions on a forum

Boxee have given back more than they need to in fact they need to give back nothing and we are grateful for all they have done and continue to do for us

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is Boxee infringing on the rights of XBMC?0