How are the overscan settings stored?
Question 
I'm currently running XBMC Live 9.11 r26018 (Dec 24) on an ASRock ION 330, and for about two months my screen configuration - specifically the overscan settings - reset to default after every 2nd reboot.

I've been trying everything to fix the problem - I've changed my xorg.conf settings, I've updated the Nvidia drivers - nothing seems to work. Obviously, it's no big problem, just a minor annoyance.

So, I'm wondering if anyone can give me some information on how those settings are stored, so that I might start attempting to figure out how they reset themselves...

Thanks!
Hi mate, i also have an ION based system and have overscan. One way to fix it was to install the NVIDIA 195 drivers that have a slider in the settings to adjust for overscan. Unfortunately those drivers break other things.

Since i switched to Live i just changed the zoom setting in the skin options to -4%. This adjusted for overscan. Since XBMC is the only thing in use, it's a good fix.
fisk Wrote:I'm currently running XBMC Live 9.11 r26018 (Dec 24) on an ASRock ION 330, and for about two months my screen configuration - specifically the overscan settings - reset to default after every 2nd reboot.

I've been trying everything to fix the problem - I've changed my xorg.conf settings, I've updated the Nvidia drivers - nothing seems to work. Obviously, it's no big problem, just a minor annoyance.

So, I'm wondering if anyone can give me some information on how those settings are stored, so that I might start attempting to figure out how they reset themselves...

Thanks!

The overscan settings are stored in ~/.xbmc/userdata/guisettings.xml
JumJum Wrote:The overscan settings are stored in ~/.xbmc/userdata/guisettings.xml

They're also per resolution/refresh. So if you run 24hz, 50hz, and 60hz you gotta do it three times.
fisk Wrote:I'm currently running XBMC Live 9.11 r26018 (Dec 24) on an ASRock ION 330, and for about two months my screen configuration - specifically the overscan settings - reset to default after every 2nd reboot.

Thanks!

My kit does exactly the same thing every now and then, it seems to be when I forget to change the input on my HDMI matrix and allow XBMC to fully boot essentially without a monitor as it's not selected on the matrix switcher... Next boot results in lost overscan settings...
Sorry to lag behind these responses - thanks for the ideas!

I believe I'm running on 195 at the moment, and right now, the only issues I have are the overscan issue and the No-MKVs-at-1080p-60hz bug...

The HDMI issue sounds just about right, actually. I'll start testing to see if it only happens when I don't boot with the HDMI switch on - I'm using the HDMI switcher from Monoprice (which breaks out to optical audio).

I'll post again after I do a little experimenting. Thanks again!

EDIT: Yeah, that was exactly the problem. When the TV is off (or disconnected from the media center by way of switch) the overscan settings reset. Upgraded to Karmic 64 bit, and still have the problem, but no trouble with the MKVs now...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How are the overscan settings stored?0