Stupid stupid problem...
I usually use the AVI format to rip my movies but on the advice of a friend, I've ripped some of my movies in MP4 format and put them on my local HD and XBMC V9.11 (on that machine) can read and play them with no problem along with the AVI files in that movie folder.

I have another PC, also with the same version of XBMC in another room, connected by a wireless network to the first PC but those MP4 files are not visible on this PC through the network. All the other avi movies are can be seen and played perfectly.

If I copy the MP4 files to USB drive and attach them to the 2nd PC, XBMC will find them and play them!

Is this normal or should I just stick with AVI?
It sounds like it could a file permissions problem, if you don't see them in the file list when browsing using files view. Windows does this sometimes. The easiest way to be sure is to unshare and reshare. It'll correct the permissions of all files.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I see the files if I just browse outside xbmc using windows explorer but as soon as i look in xbmc, they're gone Sad

Re-starting the pc makes no difference as this has been going on for days with the computers being turned on and off as usual.
I would try to execute XMBC as admin if it is windows Vista/7.
Athlon XP 2800+ (MMX, SSE, 3Dnow) - ATI HD3450 AGP - Windows 7 Professional 32bits
if both pc's are win 7 you should set up a home group. I store all my videos on my main machine, and access them through a networked drive on my htpc. These machines are in a homegroup and it makes sharing dead simple.

Home groups are only available with Windows 7 though.
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
Gigabyte MA78GM-U2SH Mainboard
ATI HD3200 Onboard
AMD 7750BE Dual-Core 4.00GB RAM
ATI HD3200 HDMI Sound
HTPC HMDI -> ONKYO TX-SR605 -> Panasonic TH-46PZ85U Plasma
Nah, that would be too easy!
One PC is a Win 7 machine - were all the main files are and the 2nd PC is Vista.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Stupid stupid problem...0