Power Button or Ctrl+Alt+Delete do nothing
I'm running Ubuntu 9.10 Minimal along with XBMC SVN 28256. When XBMC is running, pressing the Power Button or pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete does nothing, when usually it should either start the reboot or shutdown process in Ubuntu.

Is there a way to get this to work while XBMC is running? It comes in handy when XBMC freezes or my HDMI goes out of sync and I need to reboot the machine without being able to see what's on the screen.

Thanks,
Harry
Harry Muscle Wrote:I'm running Ubuntu 9.10 Minimal along with XBMC SVN 28256. When XBMC is running, pressing the Power Button or pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete does nothing, when usually it should either start the reboot or shutdown process in Ubuntu.

Is there a way to get this to work while XBMC is running? It comes in handy when XBMC freezes or my HDMI goes out of sync and I need to reboot the machine without being able to see what's on the screen.

Thanks,
Harry

Do the power button and Ctrl+Atl+Delete work for everyone else? Is that why I didn't get a response yet Big Grin ... or is this just a feature that no one else really cares about Sad

Please feel free to respond and let me know if your power button and/or Ctrl+Alt+Delete work when you're in XBMC (especially if you're running a machine where XBMC starts when the computer boots).

Thanks,
Harry
Since Ubuntu 9.04, Ctrl+Atl+Backspace is disabled by default.

To reenable, add the following to /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Code:
Section "ServerFlags"
Option "DontZap" "false"
EndSection

To which power button are you referring? The soft button within XBMC?

[Edited to reflect the fact that the DontZap flag is for ctrl+alt+backspace, not +del as I originally wrote.]
fasteddy Wrote:Since Ubuntu 9.04, Ctrl+Atl+Delete is disabled by default.

Code:
Section "ServerFlags"
Option "DontZap" "false"
EndSection

The actual power button on the computer. If I hold it for 4 seconds or so it will do a hard shutdown, but holding it for a second or so would normally initiate a soft shutdown, but not in XBMC, however, I'll try what you've mention and see if it might fix both issues. The shutdown button inside XBMC itself works perfectly.

Thanks,
Harry
fasteddy Wrote:Since Ubuntu 9.04, Ctrl+Atl+Delete is disabled by default.

Code:
Section "ServerFlags"
Option "DontZap" "false"
EndSection

Actually ctrl+alt+backspace is now disabled by default.
I don't think that ctrl+alt+delete has ever done anything windowsy on most linux distributions.
It's probably more accurate simply to direct you to the wikipedia article (did I just write that?).

But you are partially right. The DontZap flag refers to ctrl+alt+backspace (my bad).
I have the same issue.
Press power button with xbmc doesn't do anything. Without Xbmc, it shuts down the computer.

Bibi

ps : I launch xbmc as a startup program in my gnome session.
fasteddy Wrote:It's probably more accurate simply to direct you to the wikipedia article (did I just write that?).

But you are partially right. The DontZap flag refers to ctrl+alt+backspace (my bad).

So I guess we're back at square one Eek ... Ctrl+Alt+Delete won't work when inside XBMC, but it does when XBMC isn't running (as it should based on that Wikipedia article and personal experience). If anyone else got any ideas, feel free to share them, please. Nod

Thanks,
Harry

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Power Button or Ctrl+Alt+Delete do nothing0