XBMC on Tegra2 development: Porting XBMC for Linux to NVIDIA Tegra 2 ARM SoC platform
davilla Wrote:The problem with wdtv is in fact with sigma and their use of closed APIs for video hardware decode. Without info on that API, booting anything else on it is useless. From day one, this was the situation with sigma related chips.

However, Nvidia uses the open APIs OpenGL/ES for display and OpenMax for hardware decode. Big difference.

I take those required library to link will be freely available to download ?

Currently dev kit is not open for everyone, you need to be apply to be selected. Also as you indicated, the cost is a high compare to beagle board which is $150. I heard that cost of dev kit will eventually go down to $200 once they shift production to china.
The normal XBMC log IS NOT a debug log, to enable debug logging you must toggle it on under XBMC Settings - System or in advancedsettings.xml. Use XBMC Debug Log Addon to retrieve it.
Hi,

will android be considered, someday?
I mean one of these Tegra tablets.

greets
CrashX Wrote:I take those required library to link will be freely available to download ?

Currently dev kit is not open for everyone, you need to be apply to be selected. Also as you indicated, the cost is a high compare to beagle board which is $150. I heard that cost of dev kit will eventually go down to $200 once they shift production to china.

Yes, the libs would be part of the released Linux SDL. The Linux SDK is not released yet because it's not ready for the masses yet.

The cost is typical of such low volume specialized developer kits, you might think $400 is expensive, I've paid much, much more in the past for such dev kits. These are aimed at companies looking to develop a product and not general hobby usage.

The Tegra2 dev kit is not really suitable for encapsulating into a product. Too much extra bits that are not needed for a production board.
aexme Wrote:Hi,

will android be considered, someday?
I mean one of these Tegra tablets.

greets

I'm focusing on Linux. Running an application on Android OS has it's own requirements and XBMC is a rather large app with a large foot print that does all sorts of things that might/might not be possible to do under the Android OS.
I just hope XBMC is at least partially supported, when BOXEE box is out. BOXEE box could be a good platform to broaden user base of XBMC. Keep doing great work!
svn up
./configure --enable-external-python --enable-gles --disable-optimizations --enable-tegra
davilla Wrote:Right now, XBMC is up and running but no display because of goofy SDL getting in the way. No OpenMax work has been done yet. Ask me again next week.

Any progress ? I see on the nvidia forum that someone was able to get it load xbmc gui but no videoplayback. Looks like they are waiting on someone implement openmax into xbmc.
The normal XBMC log IS NOT a debug log, to enable debug logging you must toggle it on under XBMC Settings - System or in advancedsettings.xml. Use XBMC Debug Log Addon to retrieve it.
CrashX Wrote:Any progress ? I see on the nvidia forum that someone was able to get it load xbmc gui but no videoplayback. Looks like they are waiting on someone implement openmax into xbmc.

Bah, past that point about a week ago. I have non-OpenMax video playback with audio working now. I can play SD content, for 720p HD content, I need floating point support and for 1080p HD content, OpenMax support. Obviously OpenMax is the way to go for all and that's next on the list.
Davilla, if you dont distribute them, I can give you the demo OpenMax plugins for Tegra 250, and the GST bindings... I have had no luck replacing ffmpeg with gstreamer.
They are not under NDA, but I have been told they are not for consumer use...
BrokenCodes Wrote:Davilla, if you dont distribute them, I can give you the demo OpenMax plugins for Tegra 250, and the GST bindings... I have had no luck replacing ffmpeg with gstreamer.
They are not under NDA, but I have been told they are not for consumer use...

Thanks but I have them already Smile

Replacing ffmpeg with gstreamer would be a real pain in the rear. gstreamer works more like a source/sink model and that's not really how XBMC is designed.
davilla Wrote:Thanks but I have them already Smile

Replacing ffmpeg with gstreamer would be a real pain in the rear. gstreamer works more like a source/sink model and that's not really how XBMC is designed.

If we ever would like to get gstreamer in it would probably need to be a completely different player, openmax is a better candidate I think.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
hi,davilla

I try the native compiling with svn/trunk source ver.30548 on Tegra2.I have installed the dependences (as what i did in scratchbox by apt-get) and gcc-4.5 according to /arm/arm-scripts/install-gcc4.5_armel.sh.

But I met some errors while configuring xbmc

it seems that xbmc can't find gcc,this is the log:

checking build system type... armv7l-unknown-linux-gnueabi
checking host system type... armv7l-unknown-linux-gnueabi
checking for g++... no
checking for c++... no
checking for xlC... no
checking for C++ compiler default output file name...
configure: error: in `/home/ubuntu/trunk':
configure: error: C++ compiler cannot create executables "
mzsy Wrote:hi,davilla

I try the native compiling with svn/trunk source ver.30548 on Tegra2.I have installed the dependences (as what i did in scratchbox by apt-get) and gcc-4.5 according to /arm/arm-scripts/install-gcc4.5_armel.sh.

But I met some errors while configuring xbmc

it seems that xbmc can't find gcc,this is the log:

checking build system type... armv7l-unknown-linux-gnueabi
checking host system type... armv7l-unknown-linux-gnueabi
checking for g++... no
checking for c++... no
checking for xlC... no
checking for C++ compiler default output file name...
configure: error: in `/home/ubuntu/trunk':
configure: error: C++ compiler cannot create executables "

sudo apt-get install build-essential

export CC=/usr/bin/gcc-4.5
export CXX=/usr/bin/g++-4.5
davilla Wrote:"As for your other question, the Tegra2 dev kit costs $400. Pretty steep entry cost for devs that work for free. Interest with working on Tegra2 depends on several things, a) access to hardware and b) desire to spend the time working on it. a) will be dealt with in due time, b) there's high interest not only with XBMC devs but other devs as well. Plus Tegra2 is just ARM+OpenGL/ES+OpenMax. There are other ARM chipsets that are similar so instead of XBMC on Tegra2, you should think XBMC for ARM instead.

XBMC has a forum full of people asking for advice on which hardware they should get to best run XBMC on. Don't you think that people would be willing to support development for something like this? Especially people who are considering the Tegra 2 hardware and tablets coming out.

I'm curious because I have an idea for having a somewhat detailed fund raising/donate page that would facilitate sub-projects like this (at least that's the idea). I've got a little mark up here http://docs.google.com/View?id=ddrrgv5m_2dw5f7rck
I just see how many people use/are involved in this project and I find it somewhat incredible that developers all work on it as a 'hobby'. Don't you guys think that people would support paying full-time developers for the project, especially if you were really transparent about how you collected donations and where they were going?

I mean, if I was considering a Tegra 2 tablet for media playback and I wanted to use XBMC on it, what would my options be? Contribute to the development (but only if I already know how to develop and have the time to devote to it), or what, wait until you guys have taken care of it? Maybe I could post a lot in the forums to show how interested I am in the forums and promise to do bug testing (again, a decent hurdle for people, I'm trying all I can to learn about open source projects and I still have a pretty vague idea of how to test and debug and file reports). I just feel like there are people who want to be involved in open-source projects and want to support them even if they're not programmers. I think that using a donations page as a way to pitch the project and show where it's going (or possible additions), and see where people want to donate to support would extend the reach of who can get involved and how. At least it would be a step up from the basic 'feature request' sections. And I'm sure that you could easily raise the money if there was a way to pitch for a $400 development board and raise money for it on a more fine-grained donate page.

I threw this idea up on the general discussion forum, so I'm sorry if I'm sticking myself in where I don't add anything. But I'm really curious as to what the people who develop this amazing project would think of something like this.
$$ Donations are a two bladed sword. They can help, if an only if there are no assumed expectations regarding time frame. Also sometimes someone will donate and then feels empowered to demand immediate focus and results. This does not work in the open source world.

As for as donations enabling full-time employment, not a chance. Just does not work out that way. From my experience with CrystalHD and adding a "donate" link on the google code page, user donations are dismal compared to the number of people running CrystalHD and if I had to depend on those to live, I'd starve. Don't get me wrong here, not complaining, this is just an observation from personal experience..

Once development on XBMC on tegra2 gets settled, then users can start playing, right now is too early in the dev cycle and fielding user issues would just slow us down.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on Tegra2 development: Porting XBMC for Linux to NVIDIA Tegra 2 ARM SoC platform0