Element HTPC anyone?
"Element comes preloaded with XBMC, but you can add Boxee, Moovida, Hulu or all of them if you'd like... Element provides a full fledged computing experience with hundreds of applications available from web browsers like Firefox, to word processors and media players all morphed to fit into our ten-foot interface."
www.elementmypc.com

Was wondering if anyone has used this and what their impression is (more importantly, if there are any tweaks necessary to optimize for Ion chipsets).

There was a bug in version 1 and I couldn't get past the login screen, but they released version 1.1 last week, and I haven't gotten a chance to play with it yet.

NS
p.s. Sorry, for some reason I was blocked from posting in the off-topic forum, so mods please move this thread if necessary.
It looks interesting, if I wasn't using windows 7 Homegroups I would prolly give it a go.
Where do you find out what version of xbmc is bundled in, I read the website and could not find any detail of the kernel, alsa, xbmc version they are using.

Dave
It looks like they used the interface from Ubuntu Netbook Remix (UNR) and added specific apps. The only other app that would be mildly interesting to me would be Hulu. But until I saw how they integrated Hulu with the overall interface, color me unimpressed.
rodercot Wrote:Where do you find out what version of xbmc is bundled in, I read the website and could not find any detail of the kernel, alsa, xbmc version they are using.

Dave

Camelot afaict
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
topfs2 Wrote:Camelot afaict

Correct, it's 9.11 aka Camelot.

I actually used Element for a little while in Virtual PC 2007 the other night, and it's pretty cool. The integration of multiple apps is done really well. There's LIRC support from the main menu, so you can use your remote to launch XBMC for example, then "close" XBMC and you're right back to the main menu where you could launch Hulu, Boxee, etc.

I've spent so much dang time getting my XBMCFreak Live standalone HTPC working just the way I want that I probably won't mess around with Element too much in the near future, but I hope this thread raises enough interest that some of you guys check it out and give some feedback!

NS
I may try it on one of my ion lying around here just to see how it goes and check out the upgradeibility and throw on a myth frontend and see how it works with my backend currently.

I'll report back when I have tested it.

rgds,

Dave
So far it's really nice.. for those who want to be able to do other computing and run other apps I haven't seen another solution that works this well.. even launching Firefox puts a browser in your face with a true 10'UI.. settings too.. everything seems to be optimized for a true htpc experience... I hope this one continues to evolve.
I checked out their site and it looks pretty slick. I might mess with it once I get my new hardware.
Not sure how I missed all this stuff

Technical Details:
This version is based on and thus binary compatible with Ubuntu (Xubuntu) 9.10. Featured software in this release includes Linux kernel 2.6.31, XFCE 4.6.1, XBMC 9.11, Firefox Browser 3.5.8, Decibel Audio Player 1.01, Pidgin IM 2.6.5 Transmission 1.75, AllmyApps.com 9.10 integration, custom GTK themes, and version 1.0 of the Element App Finder (based on Xfce-App-Finder).

Version #s of most important packages.
linux 2.6.31, glibc 2.10.1, gcc 4.4.1, python 2.6.4, pidgin 2.6.5, gtk+ 2.18.3, xfce 4.6.1, xbmc 9.11, firefox 3.5.8, transmission 1.83, decibel-audio-player 1.01, vlc 1.0.2, brasero 2.28.2, element-app-finder 1.0

Regards,

Dave
I got really excited about this:

"You mean I can finally put XMBC, MythtTV, and Hulu desktop on my HTPC and switch between them without nasty scripts?!?!"

Then I looked into it and found out that the interface assumes you use a keyboard/mouse.

Lame. Back to the nasty scripts. Sigh.
poofyhairguy Wrote:Then I looked into it and found out that the interface assumes you use a keyboard/mouse.

I don't like using my keyboard/mouse either. The following gives you support for remote controls, (such as a MCE remote) doesn't it? Have only tried for ~30 min on my HTPC and I didn't try my remote, so maybe I'm missing something...

Linux Infra-red Remote Control system with Setup Utility
The L.I.R.C. system allows you to decode and send infra-red signals with many commonly used remotes. You can send events to applications, start programs and more with just one button press.
http://www.elementmypc.com/main/addonsextras

NS
I am into it now, I have installed it updated to 195 drivers via the vdpau ppa, updated to alsa 1.0.22 via the script, fixed the smbus error via the grub default edit.

*EDIT* - power management setting were the problem here - all good now The nasty Screensaver bugs still seems to be present I have it turned off everywhere I can find it but the screensaver still comes on every 5 minutes.

I have not installed lirc yet, I have only had a a couple hours to play with it.

A few things I have found that needs work or changing at least but so far it's pretty cool and really fast on boot up.

Regards,

Dave
rodercot Wrote:I am into it now, I have installed it updated to 195 drivers via the vdpau ppa, updated to alsa 1.0.22 via the script, fixed the smbus error via the grub default edit.

Ah, was going to ask how you updated to 195 drivers (linux noob here), then I saw that there's a FAQ.

Still, it looks like you're figuring out how to do stuff which would benefit myself and others using similar hardware. Please share how you did it if it's not too much trouble.

Thanks!
NS
NotShorty Wrote:Ah, was going to ask how you updated to 195 drivers (linux noob here), then I saw that there's a FAQ.

Still, it looks like you're figuring out how to do stuff which would benefit myself and others using similar hardware. Please share how you did it if it's not too much trouble.

Thanks!
NS

Do not use there method of installing the drivers. You will not get 195.36.15.

Use the XBMC PPA method just google Nvidia PPA or vdpau ppa and install them that way. Install the repository via command line in terminal then

sudo apt-get update.
sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-195 it will install the needed files then reboot, after the reboot you may need to force the driver the first time, you can tell if the driver loaded or not by your UI - Mine was still cropped at 1280x720 and not filling the screen, drop to a shell (ctl-alt-f2) login and type
sudo nvidia-xconfig
then reboot this will create your xorg.conf file reboot and you will have the new drivers.
then from synaptic search nvidia and mark libvdpau1 and libvdpau1-dev and install those and reboot. now you have the latest dkms drivers and vdpau for xbmc - this works fine by the way, I have test 1080p playback and it;s fine.

I have installed Lirc and it works fine with my mce remote IN XBMC but nothing on the desktop - I have not figured out keystroke shortcuts yet if there are any.

Alsa is simple just go and get the AlsaScript from the ubuntu site run it as per the instruction and it will do it all for you.
IE - from a terminal

script -d = download
script -s = download latest snapshot
script -c = compile
script -i = install
Reboot and run alsamixer and set your sound card properties and unmute your spdif channels

Just a note with the latest drivers AND Alsa 1.0.22 I am getting TruHD and PCM 6 channel pass through and downmix and it is working without any further patches on my Zotac ION-330 and the included element xbmc version 9.11.

I am working on Suspend right now which is missing from xbmc menu currently, this is an issue with Xubuntu- I had it before and I trying to remember how I fixed it.

*EDIT* - I now have suspend working from the desktop and within xbmc and resume with the remote.

For xubuntu you need to install devicekit power.

launch a terminal and type just to be safe

sudo apt-get install apt-get install policykit-1 (This is likely already installed and will tell you so) then type
sudo apt-get install devicekit-power (this enables suspend in XBMC)

now type pkaction at the prompt and make sure you have this in that list

org.freedesktop.devicekit.power.suspend
org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.stop

now we need to wakeup the usb port

so type sudo su to go into root

cat /proc/acpi/wakeup

look for USB0 it is likely disabled currently

so (youreditorofchoice)/etc/rc.local and add the following above the exit 0 line in that file.

echo USB0 > /proc/acpi/wakeup (now save and exit)

now you need to edit your sudoers file (carefully) open the file by typing

visudo

scroll to the bottom of the file and enter this (NOTE (xbmc) below in the line is MY user name if yours is something else then change it to your user name)

xbmc ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/pm-suspend

Now hit ctl-x to exit the file (slowly) the first question it asks upon exit is do you want to save the file type Y then it asks if you want to write to the file hit enter. it will then save/write the file and put you back at the command prompt

now type exit and enter to leave root mode then type sudo reboot.

When you are back at the desktop launch a terminal again and type

sudo pm-suspend (everything should goto sleep including your monitor) Now hit the power button on your remote and everything should wake-up as it was. If this all works now you can launch xbmc and go into the settings- powersave menu and change the shutdown option to suspend and test it with the power button on the remote. everything should suspend and resume as it did from the desktop.

if you have an autoresume or the smbus conflict problem here is a link to my tutorial on setting up the asus AT3N Atom board. goto the autoresume section and follow those instruction carefully it is pretty easy but if you only need one or the other fixes. I notice in the default grub command line they have ipv6 disabled by default (leave this alone it is there for a reason)

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_Insta...Autoresume

The line for the auto resume fix is (usbcore.autosuspend=-1)
The line for the smbus caveat is (acpi_enforce_resources=lax)

When you enter one or other or both of these lines do not forget to update grub like so

sudo update-grub

now you can reboot and the smbus error will be hidden and you can test your autoresume issues IF you had that problem.

( A Note make sure you follow the FAQ for fixing the autologin procedure, I set it up from the install but that still did not work you have to edit the /etc/slim.conf file as they state in the faq on the element page)

I do not like there forums but I am preparing a list of bugs/feature/notes to send to there devs that would make things a whole lot nicer with the app. I am currently using my Gyration remote and my MCE remote which of course only half the buttons on my gyration function due to the remote being seen in linux as a keyboard and mouse event) I can fix this BUT then the gyro mouse does not function. This is all suppose to be fixed in the next version of Lirc.

my next step is to install Myth frontend and connect it to my backend. I have installed Rapier 3.06 skin and all my plug-ins and makemkv with the bluray script and so far all is working - streaming BD works from my windows machine with a bd drive, I have no bd drive in this ION to test.

hope this all helps you guys These are common things you need to do with most linux LITE installs (xfce, xubuntu, mint, etc...) I try to keep notes from all installs as I go which saves me loads of time later.

Regards,

Dave

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Element HTPC anyone?0