xbmx on ubuntu 9.10 chrashed with mesa_X86_64
hello, I am new on this XBMC on ubuntu 9.10
just installed XBMX on ubuntu 9.10 but xbmc is crashing each time opening a videofile, ( alhtough in ubuntu 9.10 "movie player" works perfect on all those files)
signal 4 illegal instruction in mesa_X86_64_transform_points4_general
.. /usr/lib/dri/i915_dri.so
I have no special graphic card , just running on Dell Optiplex GX620 intel pentium 4
only VGA Intel corporation 82945G/GZ integrated Graphics Controller

I have no 64 -bit
but why is this chrashlog refurring to mesa_X86_64 ? 64 not needed ?
what was installed wrongly ?
i used the standaerd procedure with ... team-xbmc/ppa/ubuntu karmic
Hi finally all soved under ubuntu 9.10 ,
a) I installed a new NVIDIA 8400gs card
since then better:
b) the problems was not due to "mesa_x86_64_transform" .. in the crashlog but because of the last entries in the crashlog "GL: Shaders support not present, falling back to SW mode" and "GL: NPOT texture support detected".

how you ever can get SW mode working I do not know..
but it is was all going wrong due to the shaders support missing:
the shaders support you can find this in XBMC in the system settings of XBMC video
settings video player to VDPAU after installing the NVIDIA drivers and card solved the issue

c) we did a full installation of the drivers of NVIDIA 195..
software resources :adding:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/nvidia-vdpau/ppa/ubuntu karmic main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/nvidia-vdpau/ppa/ubuntu karmic main

d) install the NVIDIA drivers , etc.. .. nvidia-glx-195 ( and not something else..) ...several confusing websites etc... etc.. ;-)

e) from the moment I got in "system" "administration" the entry: " NVIDIA X server settings" from then we got the right messages, what to fix , ..etc.. it became more clear what to do..

f) the XBMC setting on VDPAU was working and then XBMC was running fine

g) but now unbelievable without any message ... the movie player, the VLC player and VNC was not working anymore .... pff..

h) VNC was solved by turning off desktop effects, : system > preference, > appearence > visual effect > none

i) vlc player was solved by
VLC-->Settings-->Preferences
Video-->Output modules-->Advanced: X11

j) movie player was solved by
gstreamer-properties
Video-->Default Video Plugin: X Window System (No Xv)

k) what a long story.. but now all is working fine : vnc, movieplayer, VLC and XBMC all under unbuntu 9.10

ok it is solved and nice now
but I can imagine that some people would give it up for such a long story of problems ... some more help and explanation on error message would be welcome

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmx on ubuntu 9.10 chrashed with mesa_X86_640