My XBMCBuntu Guide: HDMI Audio, LIRC, VDPAU working
Roelio Wrote:Is this pdf file still out there somewhere?

if no-one has upped it for you soon, I can do it tonight when I get back from work.

It's really useful so I saved a copy.
Roelio Wrote:Is this pdf file still out there somewhere?

Apparently Mediafire was down for some time today, now it is back.

Anyways, I updated the guide for Alsa version 1.0.23, and made it available via dropbox. Please check the updated download link in the first post of this thread.
as we have holidays in germany I decided to do a clean reinstall of my XBMClive revo with the XBMCbuntu guide but instead of 9.04/9.10 I decided to go with the lucid lynx

as of the time of writing the system finally works again with VDPAU and HDMI passthrough, but there was one thing that gave me headaches: using the nvidia-current package I had some problems getting VDPAU properly to work. first it crashed after some seconds into the HD mkv, then after playing around with various vdpau libs via apt-get and even reinstalling nvidia-current, X shut down completely everytime XBMC just tried to create a preview snapshot of a HD file.

after playing around some more including reinstalling nvidia-current, reinstalling xbmc-live and so on, it just works now as it is supposed to.
my best guess is that libvdpau-dev just ain't working with nvidia-current and at some point I had both libs (libvdpau-dev and libvdpau1) in my system.
anyhow, removing -dev and reinstalling libvdpau1 maybe did the job.
would be great if somebody with more linux understanding than myself could update the XBMCbuntu guide for 10.04 and have a look into what exactly happens with the VDPAU libs... Cool

one more thing: what's the benefit to upgrade to alsa 1.0.23? in lynx I'm already on .22 and everything works as it should, just need to execute the tutorial to get system sounds via HDMI working again.
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Hannes The Hun Wrote:as we have holidays in germany I decided to do a clean reinstall of my XBMClive revo with the XBMCbuntu guide but instead of 9.04/9.10 I decided to go with the lucid lynx

as of the time of writing the system finally works again with VDPAU and HDMI passthrough, but there was one thing that gave me headaches: using the nvidia-current package I had some problems getting VDPAU properly to work. first it crashed after some seconds into the HD mkv, then after playing around with various vdpau libs via apt-get and even reinstalling nvidia-current, X shut down completely everytime XBMC just tried to create a preview snapshot of a HD file.

after playing around some more including reinstalling nvidia-current, reinstalling xbmc-live and so on, it just works now as it is supposed to.
my best guess is that libvdpau-dev just ain't working with nvidia-current and at some point I had both libs (libvdpau-dev and libvdpau1) in my system.
anyhow, removing -dev and reinstalling libvdpau1 maybe did the job.
would be great if somebody with more linux understanding than myself could update the XBMCbuntu guide for 10.04 and have a look into what exactly happens with the VDPAU libs... Cool

one more thing: what's the benefit to upgrade to alsa 1.0.23? in lynx I'm already on .22 and everything works as it should, just need to execute the tutorial to get system sounds via HDMI working again.

Hannes,

Since we are in transition period both for Ubuntu (karmic->lucid) and for XBMC with the upcoming new stable release, maybe the PPAs are a little bit messy nowadays. I expect it to be clean when the next stable release comes.

I have one question regarding 10.04: is suspend/resume working well for you? I played around with a pre-release of 10.04 (in march), and apparently the whole power management was changed and in my case, it was not working properly. That is a deal breaker for me, as I have my XBMC machine working as a set-top box, and suspend/resume is a must have.

Regarding Alsa: I do not see any benefit of upgrading to 1.0.23 (none that I know of). I just updated the guide because the post on Ubuntu Forums which is the base for the Alsa section was updated, and the links for the 1.0.22 upgrade script was not working anymore.
rbonon Wrote:I have one question regarding 10.04: is suspend/resume working well for you? I played around with a pre-release of 10.04 (in march), and apparently the whole power management was changed and in my case, it was not working properly. That is a deal breaker for me, as I have my XBMC machine working as a set-top box, and suspend/resume is a must have.

then I have bad news for you: the transition phase, as I also see it, gives us many problems, also regarding this issue: suspend doesn't work at all for me, and shutdown just exits XBMC to command line.
Further testing also shows more problems, at the moment I have serious issues doing autostart to XBMC so the xbmc-live pqackage needs some reworking before it really works with lucid.
all in all, I really like the direction ubuntu is going with lucid but XBMC isn't up to it with the available packages. there's going to be some serious rewrite before this really makes sense.
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
rbonon Wrote:Regarding Alsa: I do not see any benefit of upgrading to 1.0.23 (none that I know of). I just updated the guide because the post on Ubuntu Forums which is the base for the Alsa section was updated, and the links for the 1.0.22 upgrade script was not working anymore.

That makes me nervous though- 1.0.22 works SO well and 1.0.23 brings no benefit....

By the way, here is a link to the 1.0.22 script:

http://www.scottcraftboats.com/downloads...22.1-2.tar

I actually just wget that to use your old guide....
rbonon Wrote:Apparently Mediafire was down for some time today, now it is back.

Anyways, I updated the guide for Alsa version 1.0.23, and made it available via dropbox. Please check the updated download link in the first post of this thread.

This still isn't working. Could you please take a look at it?
http://www.multiupload.com/0R9LFSTP4S

hope that helps.
Hey Neil,

Thanks a lot that did the trick Wink
poofyhairguy Wrote:That makes me nervous though- 1.0.22 works SO well and 1.0.23 brings no benefit....

By the way, here is a link to the 1.0.22 script:

http://www.scottcraftboats.com/downloads...22.1-2.tar

I actually just wget that to use your old guide....

Indeed, trigger-happy updates are not also my favourite things, as 1.0.22 was also working well.

It is ok for me with 1.0.23 though. Sometimes (very seldom) I experience some random "no sound" issues with AC3 after watching a movies, the next one will not have the surround sound right. That was also the case for 1.0.22.
Hannes The Hun Wrote:then I have bad news for you: the transition phase, as I also see it, gives us many problems, also regarding this issue: suspend doesn't work at all for me, and shutdown just exits XBMC to command line.
Further testing also shows more problems, at the moment I have serious issues doing autostart to XBMC so the xbmc-live pqackage needs some reworking before it really works with lucid.
all in all, I really like the direction ubuntu is going with lucid but XBMC isn't up to it with the available packages. there's going to be some serious rewrite before this really makes sense.

That is bad news. We will need to adapt some stuff to have it all working right. I am not much motivated at the moment as my Karmic install is working very well, and digging through the changes from Lucid will take a considerable ammount of time which I haven't much at this time.
i want to setup the partitions as you suggest but still maintain a working mint8 kde desktop

during the partition manager portion of the install i did the manual (advanced) option

how would i setup the rest appropriately

i used 10Gb as " / " for mint8, with the ext4 default setting
and the rest i tried to follow your guide as closely as possible, after reading many articles and how to's, I am still unsure on how to get both a linux and xbmc root partition, or did you mean to do "/root" From my basic understanding you type " / " as the mount for your linux OS, but im pretty sure the installer doesn't allow two of these. My knowledge of the mounting directory stuff is limited and i am not sure on the (ext2,3,4, etc...)

anyway if not this way, should i do a more directed method as suggested here:

Quote:
/dev/hda1: /boot, 50 MB min., 150 MB max.
/dev/hda2: /, 2 GB min.
/dev/hda3: extended partition, up and until the end of the disk
/dev/hda5: /usr, at least 5 GB
/dev/hda6: /opt ... if you want it. 2 GB should be enough
/dev/hda7: /srv ... if you really want it. At least 4 GB
/dev/hda8: /var ... at least 2 GB.
/dev/hda10: /home ... at least 75-80 GB
/dev/hda11: swap ...

like i said i want basically the same setup you have laid out in your guide minus the minimal install portion.

*if this isn't possible, I could always do a minimal installl and install the desktop environment through terminal using repos, i've struggled through that before and it was fun when i was messing around with a server based ubuntu*

still a newbie any help much appreciated
Simply3149 Wrote:i want to setup the partitions as you suggest but still maintain a working mint8 kde desktop

during the partition manager portion of the install i did the manual (advanced) option

how would i setup the rest appropriately

i used 10Gb as " / " for mint8, with the ext4 default setting
and the rest i tried to follow your guide as closely as possible, after reading many articles and how to's, I am still unsure on how to get both a linux and xbmc root partition, or did you mean to do "/root" From my basic understanding you type " / " as the mount for your linux OS, but im pretty sure the installer doesn't allow two of these. My knowledge of the mounting directory stuff is limited and i am not sure on the (ext2,3,4, etc...)

anyway if not this way, should i do a more directed method as suggested here:

like i said i want basically the same setup you have laid out in your guide minus the minimal install portion.

*if this isn't possible, I could always do a minimal installl and install the desktop environment through terminal using repos, i've struggled through that before and it was fun when i was messing around with a server based ubuntu*

still a newbie any help much appreciated

Hi Simply3149,

well, I am not in favour for using several partitions as shown in the example for each main directory (/usr, /opt, etc.)

The goal of the partitioning as I suggested is to allow one to have two installations of XBMC, one as a "production" environment, and another one as a test environment.

In my case, my wife was always pissing me off when I was doing tests with new SVN releases, skins, etc, and that was affecting the normal behaviour of our main XBMC set. So I went for this separate environments.

You cannot have more than one "/" partition for a given install of Linux. That is the root partition for the installation, and each install will consider its chosen "/" partition as its root partition.

To make it simple, suppose you already have one partition using 10Gb for Mint8 on /dev/hda1, mu suggesting would be:

Partition the disk like this:

/dev/sda1 10Gb Mint 8 (this is already in the disk, so do not touch it, neither format it.

/dev/sda2 let us consider 30Gb, primary partition, format it as ext4

/dev/sda3 use some size different than /dev/sda2, so it is easier to identify the partitions when using formatting/partitioning, primary partition, format it as ext4.

/dev/sda4 the rest of the disk. You can use an extended or primary partition (MBR disks allow only 4 primary partitions). format it as you wish (ext4, fat, etc).

With that partitioninig, say you will install your first XBMC entity. You may choose /dev/sda2 for your "/" partition. I would not touch /dev/sda3 (ignore it) and mount /dev/sda4 as /mnt/local for example.

Pay attention when installing GRUB, the boot loader. You need to be careful not to mess with you Mint. I know nothing about Mint. But if it is compatible with GRUB, you may choose to install GRUB to your MBR and it may detect Mint automatically. Please do some research on this.

Once you finish your install, you may proceed to install the second XBMC entity. This time select /dev/sda3 as your "/" root partition, and ignore /dev/sda2, mounting /dev/sda4 as /mnt/local.

Hope this can clarify a little bit the things for you.

Regards,
rbonon
okay so i did everything on your pdf file and something apparently went terribly wrong during the process, mainly after i did the alsa changes which semmed to work appropriately, restart and bam, bunch of errors, xserver wouldn't do anything, driver for alsa still said 1.0.20, no video playback, etc.

so i went ahead and got a iso for minKarmic, now im redoing the partitions and what not, my previous question still stands but with a twist, during the partion creation i'm given the option to not mount the partions should i be doing that for ... xbmctest ?

Quote:here's what i have going on:
#1 primary 70 Gb f ext4 /
#2 primary 20 Gb f ext4 /home
#3 primary 20 Gb f ext4 (blank)
#5 logical 45 Gb f ext4 /mnt/local
#6 logical 5 Gb f swap swap

also i dont have any wireless storage, nfs, nas setup at the moment, so on the step you have listed for finding ports... followed by creating directories and ownership.
would i list my /local folder for ; sudo chown xbmc.xbmc /home/xbmc/disco01 instead, because i planned on storing media to be associated with xbmc in that folder to test it out further.

Quote:on the directories :
sudo mkdir /mnt/disco01
sudo mkdir /mnt/local
sudo mkdir /mnt/xbmc

sudo ln -s /mnt/disco01 /home/xbmc/disco01

sudo chown xbmc.xbmc /home/xbmc/disco01

sudo mount /mnt/disco01
sudo mount /mnt/local
sudo mount /mnt/xbmc

thanks for the previous reply helped a bit, but im not sure where i went wrong down the line, i believe it was mainly with the xserver / xorg
just on a sidenote: in the meantime I got suspend/resume etc. working right with lucid by installing some acpi and upower packages, just look it up in the forums

the automatic booting into xbmc works now for the most part, sometimes I still have to SSH into the box and do a sudo init 3 when it hangs in the ubuntu boot screen

1.0.23 alsa is only needed for ION2/GF210/GF220 HDMI audio, no need to hack this stuff together when on older hardware, 1.0.22 is just fine here.

summarizing: when you are on a working karmic install and everything is running just fine, keep your system. when doing a new install, it might be worth to directly go the lucid route, but keep in mind that you really have to do some serious manual installation and configuration work afterwards. I probably wouldn't do it again but wait for the new XBMC 10.whatever release.
Asus Chromebox EZ Script

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My XBMCBuntu Guide: HDMI Audio, LIRC, VDPAU working0