Audio Issues with TrueHD
So I have just started ripping Blu-Ray movies, and I intend to pick up a Revo 3610 in the near future, but I came across an issue last night.

I know that as of right now, I can't pass DTS-HD MA or TrueHD through the Revo's HDMI to my Onkyo receiver, but I was hoping to be able to at least have it play the "core" without issues, so in another couple years, I will be able to upgrade and have all lossless rips, so I don't need to rerip anything.

I ripped Star Trek, which has TrueHD, and I tried to play it in XBMC, and it's not that there's NO audio, but there's no dialogue, like it's not being correctly mixed down to only two channels (Until I get a Revo, I'm just using my MacBook). All background sound effects and music play fine, but dialogue is either muted entirely, or severely muffled to the point where I can't understand it unless I turn subs on. I know that it ripped correctly, because if I open the .mkv in VLC, the audio plays fine, it's only XBMC that has issues.

Does anyone have any idea why? If necessary, I can just keep both the core audio and the lossless in the same MKV, but in the interest of hard drive space, I'd rather only keep the lossless.
Can't really provide a solution, only confirm the issue. Same movie, same problem. Converted to mkv and seemingly missing the dialogue with DTS-HD as you say. In the end I stuck with just the DD 5.1 audio instead and that was fine.
It has to be an issue with the decoder, since the dialogue is still there when I open it with VLC.
I am also wondering how to deal with TrueHD titles. I just tried The Other Boleyn Girls and I don't get any audio at all. I didn't expect XBMC to play the TrueHD track, but I thought it would play the Dolby Digital track. How can we get audio from these titles now while maintaining the TrueHD for future use?
Just rip both the TrueHD and the AC3 3/2+1 tracks and include them separately in the MKV by using MKVToolnix. Set the AC3 as the default track, so TrueHD will be there, just taking up some space, for the time being. When we get TrueHD support, and it fits with the playback methods we use, just remux the mkv again and remove the AC3 for some extra space.
In my experience, DTS-MA will play fine with full audio as that format contains a core DTS track. XBMC ignores the MA information and plays the core track through HDMI on every ION box I have (which includes an Acer Revo 3610). TrueHD does not include a core track XBMC does not know how to handle the TrueHD audio track or how to transcode it either. The only way to have both future proof audio with TrueHD audio is to mux in both the TrueHD track as well as the separate AC3 stream. As mentioned above the AC3 stream must be the default stream otherwise XBMC will choke on it. If and when TrueHD support is available on XBMC you can always rip the AC3 track out of the MKV with MKVMerge.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio Issues with TrueHD0