• 4(current)
[LINUX] HOW-TO launch applications from XBMC Live (e.g. Firefox)
Thanks, I will try adding this new clip of setting to my xorg.conf. But for now, I have given up on the firefox, cuz I can't get the mouse to work Sad I thought it would be easy stuff, since people have got the same mouse to work in PS3 yellow dog. But no success so far..

Quote:Is the 5.1 sound issue always present or is it only after using firefox? Is there a specific wrapper that is giving you audio issues? Or a specific encoding? I know you say unchecking AC3 gives you stereo, but are the files themselves AC3? SD xvid is usually encoded in MP3.

Previously I noticed a problem only for only mkv videos with 5.1 sounds. With the given .asoundrc the problem was flipped around so that mp3 encoded audio didn't work. I didn't check if it was xvid or divx.
It seems XBMC can't figure out if the sounds are 5.1 or stereo. If I have a setup for stereo, some of the 5.1 videos don't work. If I have a setup for 5.1, stereo ones don't work. It is 100% related to the wrapper (if by wrapper you mean xvid/divx..). In the mean while, mp3 music works all the time without problems.
All in all, after reading different posts, I have figured it's related to more general problems with HDMI support from ALSA and NVidia. I hope it will be fixed in the future.

Thanks.

- d
vikjon0 Wrote:He seem to have copied mine which are working. Could it be different for different cards? (I have ion)

Most definately the xorg.conf can be incorrect. The settings are output of JumJum's Nvidia script. I'm running ion as well.
dimangi Wrote:The settings are output of JumJum's Nvidia script.
I used the "JumJum's Nvidia script" too, but i am not a ion user! I have a Nvidia 6600 GT (I know, a old card Wink) when i used firefox without the monitor the font size of Fluxbox was big very big. with the monitor settings the font size was perfect.
i keep getting failed to initialize audio after using firefox (menu sounds, mp3's, avi, mkv with dts or ac3) to restore the audio i'll either have to reboot or restart xbmc.

.asoundrc or /etc/asound.conf

Code:
pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
pcm "hdmi"
}
}

or

Code:
defaults.pcm.device 3

Revo 3610 + XBMC Live 9.11 (r28256) or XBMCFreak livecd 9.11 v14 (r28256)
connected straight to tv with hdmi.
I don't know what the problem is. I have no problem with the sound but I use spdif. I will have to test with hdmi when I have some time.

You could test with a asoundrc with dmix. Also check if any processes remains after firefox and openbox is killed.
I am running the LIVE freak version for Nvidia/Ion machine.

The wget command is not found.

Is there a workaround I can use to get FireFox
Quote:The wget command is not found.

Is there a workaround I can use to get FireFox

Yes...install wget. (or download the file another way)
Thanks for the reply vikjon0

Excuse my ignorance I am newb to Linux.

If I use wget can I easily uninstall the utility?

What other way can I get the Launcher1.04.zip file and put in the correct directory?
Quote:Excuse my ignorance I am newb to Linux.
Fair enough, but if you are not interested learning anything about linux you should probably avoid modifying the system.

You install wget with:
sudo apt-get install wget

Since it does not make any sense and this is not a linux tutorial I will not spell out how to remove it. Take a look in the google.
vikjon0 Wrote:Fair enough, but if you are not interested learning anything about linux you should probably avoid modifying the system.

Actually I had learned had how to install the wget utility before my previous post.

But its good practise to get advice before messing with things not fully understood. (Yes - I tried the xbmc live freak forum)

I dont want to derail the thread so I shall read up some more.
Quote:But its good practise to get advice before messing with things not fully understood
I guess I cant argue with that. I am no expert but wget is a small utility to download files. It is usually included in the OS. You will see the size when you install it and I expect it to be very small. If google havent told you yet the way to uninstall is:
sudo apt-get purge <package>

The alternative way to download it is...to right click in a browser and select save. This can be done after installing firefox or on another computer/booted partition.
Thanks to everyone here for helping me to get my webbrowser WITH AUDIO working on my Acer Aspire Revo 1600 running XBMC-LIVE (running build 28256)!!!!!!!!

I had sound issues when playing videos or music inside the browser like others here have mentioned.

If I used the .asoundrc file, my XBMC would only play menu sounds, but no sound from vids or music and an occassional failed to initialize audio.

I found a work-around to the issue in my scenario where a .asoundrc file was present in the xbmc user home directory when XBMC was in front.

I followed the original post in this thread to start with but did the following to get the sound to work in both environments.

------

I created an .asoundrc.old file in /home/xbmc/ (.old added to make this work... you can add whatever you want... just tweak the final script to reflect that).
Code:
defaults.pcm.device 3
Then for my launcher script I wrote it like this (I installed and use Chrome, aka Chromium, instead of Firefox, so just substitute the chromium-browse line for firefox) in /home/xbmc/scripts/:
Code:
#!/bin/bash

mv /home/xbmc/.asoundrc.old /home/xbmc/.asoundrc
sudo /etc/init.d/alsa-utils restart
fluxbox &
chromium-browser
killall -9 fluxbox
mv /home/xbmc/.asoundrc /home/xbmc/.asoundrc.old
sudo /etc/init.d/alsa-utils restart

You will need to add the xbmc user to the /etc/sudoers file to add rights to the alsa-utils to get the alsa restart to work.
Code:
echo 'xbmc ALL= /etc/init.d/alsa-utils' >> /etc/sudoers
WARNING!!! I am not responsible if you chose to add xbmc as above!

Anyway.... it is working great.
I still have two issues...

1) The fbsetbg line doesn't get rid of the message... I will look into that later.

2) I need to resize the maximized browser window to show the entire window.
Right now it is too big on my 1080P TV. I did have to shrink down XBMC's video calibration, so I just need to find the right xorg.conf settings but I can live with it for now. Smile

It is sooooo cool having this handy.
I use the Logitech diNovo mini remote (bluetooth keyboard & mouse) and its definitely great to have in the living room!

IMPORTANT!
I run my XBMC Live setup running under the default user 'xbmc'.
If you install or run XBMC under a different user, adjust the script and sudoers user home path accordingly.
Quote:I followed the original post in this thread to start with but did the following to get the sound to work in both environments.
Nice.

Did you try:
1) Just restart alsa on exit without the other stuff? (xbmc should work with an active asounrc file)
2) If you remove your fix...does restarting xbmc (not rebooting) fix the problem?
In my setup I am running XBMC LIVE build 28256 with nVidia 190.42 drivers if that matters.

For whatever reason if I have an .asoundrc file in my home directory, I only get menu sounds and nothing else inside XBMC which is obviously useless.

That is why I am restarting alsa and renaming the .asound depending on what is going on.

I have tried so many other options in so many threads so far and have rebuilt this thing a few times after horking something up along the way, this was is perfectly fine with me.

If I didn't want the web browsing and other apps moving forward, I simply would have just stuck with working sound without the need for an .asoundrc file which is how I have been running my setup before this.

Anyway.............
Quote:For whatever reason if I have an .asoundrc file in my home directory, I only get menu sounds and nothing else inside XBMC which is obviously useless.
Ok. I have to test myself. It should work but I have not used hdmi in this version.
Your solution looks fine, would just be nicer with a solution without the sudoer fix.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO launch applications from XBMC Live (e.g. Firefox)3