[Live] Intel Atom w/ Nvidia 8400 GS won't work
I've got a PNY Verto 8400 GS PCI card installed in an Intel Atom Mini-ITX mobo (D945GCLF2), and I get some really weird behavior with it.

Without the 8400 GS card, and using the on-board GMA 950 graphics, I can install and run XBMC 9.11 Live no problem. As soon as I install the 8400 GS and attempt to re-install XBMC Live, the installer can see the hard drive but is unable to create a filesystem and mount it. Installing XBMC with the GMA 950 and *then* installing the 8400 GS doesn't work either, as the system will no longer boot. It appears to be the same issue, manifested in a different way: Linux can't reliably access the HD.
I've tried to install XBMC to a variety of devices: CF in a CF-to-IDE adapter; IDE flash module; USB flash drive; and regular SATA HD. All behave the same. It's as if the 8400 GS is trampling on a resource needed for hard drives. Though, having tried boot devices on 3 different buses (IDE, SATA, and USB), it's hard to imagine a singular hardware resource affecting all 3.

Some distros work, as long as you pass the "agp=off" kernel parameter. Doing this, Fedora 11 works perfectly fine on this rig. That's how I know the card's not faulty. I compiled XBMC for Fedora 11, and using Nvidia's 190.42 Linux drivers with VDPAU enabled, I can play really smooth HD video with the system. Furthermore, I have 2 GCLF2 boards, and get the same behavior when the 8400 GS is installed in either system.

Anyone else have experience integrating the 8400 GS, or other Nvidia GPUs, in the D945GCLF2 boards with Linux? There's got to be a simple trick to this, but it's eluding me right now.
Not sure if it will help but have you looked in the bios and made sure the PCI GPU is set as the main graphics?
Sparkygeezer Wrote:Not sure if it will help but have you looked in the bios and made sure the PCI GPU is set as the main graphics?
Yep, thanks... that is the first thing to check. And I set it to PCI. I get the same results whether it's set to "Auto" or forced to PCI though.
Well the issue continues to really appear to be a driver issue with 'agp' and 'intel_agp' and this card. Not sure why. I've seen this now with 9.04 and 9.11.

The only workaround I've found is to install XBMC Live using the board's IGD. Then, reboot into single-user mode, edit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf and blacklist the 'agp' and 'intel_agp' drivers. Update the initrd with 'update-initramfs -u'; this honors the blacklist.conf and will omit 'agp' and 'intel_agp' from the ramdisk image. Now, shutdown and insert the Nvidia card. Boot again into single-user, install the Nvidia drivers (I used 195.36.15), tweak your xorg.conf if needed, and you're done. Reboot, and XBMC Live should start up just fine.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Live] Intel Atom w/ Nvidia 8400 GS won't work0