• 10(current)
[LINUX] HOW-TO get AmbX with X11 working using Boblight and CombustD
Trying to configure boblight.conf for my atmolight.

How do I find out what COM port my atmolight is on?

lsusb returns:

Bus 002 Device 006: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, LTD TF 232 USB-Serial (UART) IC

Edit:

boblight.conf is currently:
Code:
[global]
timeout        20
interface    127.0.0.1
port        19333
interpolation    on
proportional    5.0
saturation    3.0
value        10.0
valuerange    0.0 1.0
use        yes
method        average
threshold    20

[device]
name        ambilight
type        atmo
output        "com1"
rate        38400
channels    15
interval    16000
prefix        FF

[color]
name        red
rgb        FF0000
gamma        1.0
adjust        1.0
blacklevel    0.0

[color]
name        green
rgb        00FF00
gamma        1.0
adjust        1.0
blacklevel    0.0

[color]
name        blue
rgb        0000FF
gamma        1.0
adjust        1.0
blacklevel    0.0

[light]
name        left
color        red     ambilight 4
color        green     ambilight 5
color        blue     ambilight 6
hscan        0 50
vscan        0 100

[light]
name        right
color        red     ambilight 7
color        green     ambilight 8
color        blue     ambilight 9
hscan        50 100
vscan        0 100

[light]
name        top
color        red     ambilight 10
color        green     ambilight 11
color        blue     ambilight 12
hscan        0 100
vscan        0 50

[light]
name        bottom
color        red     ambilight 13
color        green     ambilight 14
color        blue     ambilight 15
hscan        0 100
vscan        50 100

Starting the daemon returns:

Code:
com1: No such file or directory

I've tried editing the conf file for com1-4 so far with the same error.
Got it working! Looks fantastic.

Code:
[device]
name        ambilight
type        atmo
output        "/dev/ttyUSB0"
rate        38400
channels    15
interval    16000
prefix        FF

Any tips on getting boblightd and boblight-X11 to load on startup, quit on suspend and reload on resume(running Live 10.1)?
illiac4 Wrote:Hi!

I'm also interested if this will work with ATV and linux on it? Is someone using such a working setup?

Yes it will! I'm running Sams Image (Ubuntu 8.04) with Crystal HD, Rf-remote on a 1TB hdd ATV.

It consumes some CPU power though. Actually if i enable AMBX then high bitrate 1080p Movies will lose some frames constantly.
hi @all

I'm using the latest unstable xbmc ppa for Ubuntu 10.10.
I just want to ask, if a special XBMC branch is required to get boblight (with ambx) working.

I ask that question because i got boblight working under my desktop (started boblightd + boblight-X11 without any options), but as soon as i start xbmc the lights turn off. Or are there any options that i have to turn on?

I hope that someone can help me, because it would be great to get ambx working with XBMC.

Best Regards!
Bobo1on1,

Got everything working like a charm, but have a few questions:

1. How do i get it to change a bit smoother? It now changes with even the smallest change of color, and that causes some rough transitions from time to time. Will changing the interval help? like increasing or decreasing the interval amount?

2. How can i start/stop the deamon (boblightd) and the client (boblight x-11 code thing) from xbmc itself? A script or something in combination with advanced launcher? Did you ever try such a thing?

Thnx
Just another poster who wanted to say thanks for all the information people have provided and all the sofware developers who have made this such a powerful impressive add-on to my HTPC experience.

Got this set-up last night and looks great .....let the tweaking begin Smile
Eoghlear Wrote:Bobo1on1,

2. How can i start/stop the deamon (boblightd) and the client (boblight x-11 code thing) from xbmc itself? A script or something in combination with advanced launcher? Did you ever try such a thing?

I'm also very interested in this approach as I auto-boot into XBMC and use an MCE remote to try to pass the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) Laugh

I currently have a script called start_boblight with the following details

sudo boblightd
boblight-X11 -t 0.1

This is fine if i run it via a terminal:

./start_boblight

But this needs password entry to satisfy the bolight dameon process which I don't think you can do through XBMC and the executor plugin.

I have set-up excutor add-on within xbmc to try to run the script and have tried playing around with passing the password as a parameter etc and changing the sudo line above but with no success.

I'm a linux novice so still trawling the net for information, but if someone has already done this, I'm sure myself and Eoghlear would love to know and save us the pain.

There are details (on this thread I think) that can start the lights on the PC starting up, but I'd prefer to turn on/off as and when needed - i.e. no point in having them on during the day.

Also having another script to turn the lights off (kill dameon process?) would be the final piece of the jigsaw.

Cheers
If you add the correct udev rules to allow non-root to access the AmbX device you don't have to run boblightd as root.
You could also just start boblightd from one of the startup scripts instead and start boblight-X11 from XBMC.
Thanks bobo1on1,

Got a nice tutorial to read (http://reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html) - much prefer to try to get some background knowledge first.

Still loving the boblight though. Last night, found a 10 minute video of a burning woodfire in a fireplace on you-tube...lights off, red glowing walls.... sad I know Wink
Big Grin 
All sorted...

Created a udev rule with group permissions of my user to start the boblightd daemon.

Then just used the exectur plugin to link to a script that runs

boblight-X11 -t 0.1

So, now it's all accessible via the remote without having to exit XBMC

Happy camper Nod
hello there, finally my system works fine with 62 Channels right now but i tried to autostart boblightx11 for hours now and i cant get this working. Please help me on this matter:

I can start it manually using my skript:

Quote:#!/bin/sh
boblightd
su - xbmc -c "DISPLAY=:0.0 boblight-X11 -o speed=50 -o value=5 -o saturation=1.5 -o threshold=75"

Here we are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWfT5OZfeqM
or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuooJcpiZ7w
Which controller did you use?
Any ideas to start boblightd after suspend? If I kill boblightd before suspend and start it again after resume I get flickering....
Check ~/.boblight/boblightd.log when the flickering happens.
More tests bob:

When I resume my HTPC boblightd NOT work, but If i suspend again and resume boblight works! Why!?!?

On the other hand I have some issues to start boblightd with xbmc-standalone on start, because If I put bob.sh (script that run boblightd: #!/bin/bash /usr/local/bin/boblightd) on defaults (sudo update-rc.d bob.sh defaults) my HTPC couldn't shutdown/restart (seems that Ubuntu don't kill boblightd before shutdown/restart), and if I put boblightd in Start Programs (in GNOME session) boblightd don't start in XBMC-Standalone....then...how I start boblightd automatically in xbmc-standalone?

Thanks for eveything!
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO get AmbX with X11 working using Boblight and CombustD0