• 4(current)
[LINUX] HOW-TO get AmbX with X11 working using Boblight and CombustD
Z3rO Wrote:Btw the -v value makes the lights shine brighter. This is especially good when in not so dark conditions. I still have to find the optimal settings for my room.

Keep us up to date, i'm currently using boblight-X11 -s 5 -t 0.1 -a 20 -v 3 as 5 was a little too bright when the lights are out
I got this working on my AppleTV and it works great. I have Ubuntu running on the AppleTV with the Crystal HD card using this guide HOW-TO install a Miminal Ubuntu and XBMC with sound over HDMI on the AppleTV.

I followed the instructions in this thread but needed to alter a few comments to get it working. To install ruby-dev I needed to use:
Code:
sudo apt-get install ruby1.8-dev

Then trying to build I got an error "/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXext". I fixed this by installing libxect-dev:
Code:
sudo apt-get install libxext-dev

After that I could build and install the driver. But still had some trouble with the "ERROR: Can't open display :0.0" error. Not knowing I needed to run the export DISPLAY command under the user on which XBMC is running (which is xbmc if you used the minimal ubuntu guide). And it worked Big Grin

Still need to get the udev part working, but I am a bit of a Linux n00b so still a bit of trouble there Smile Probably because the xbmc account isn't allowed to sudo?

This is really great guys!
The_FrankO Wrote:Still need to get the udev part working, but I am a bit of a Linux n00b so still a bit of trouble there Smile Probably because the xbmc account isn't allowed to sudo?

This is really great guys!

That shouldn't be the problem, since the xbmc user isnt running the sudo command.

What's the error you're getting?
Z3rO Wrote:That shouldn't be the problem, since the xbmc user isnt running the sudo command.

What's the error you're getting?
Bit of a Linux n00b but I figured the log files are in /var/log/. I opened the daemon.log and it said:
Code:
May 24 16:48:39 appletv udevd-event[5344]: run_program: exec of program '/usr/bin/startambx' failed
May 24 16:48:39 appletv udevd-event[5348]: run_program: exec of program '/usr/bin/startambx' failed
Not really helping.

The thing is, I forgot to make the script executable. I put in:
Code:
sudo chmod +x /usr/bin/startambx
And it works.

This is brilliant!
I made a quick film last night on my iPhone so a bit crappy quality but it should give you a good impression

http://www.youtube.com/v/Mz0eTo0BXV8

You can't see the AppleTV on this picture, but believe me it is running from it Smile
After some trial and error I have this up and running on my Revo Live install. Works perfectly. The udev function is awesome. Thanks for all the work guys.
Trying to install this on xbmc-live. When i do ./configure for boblight, I get:

Code:
checking for x11... * boblight-X11 will NOT be built!

Now what ? Can I just install x11 ?
Arctic MC001 + Openelec
Code:
sudo apt-get install libxext-dev libx11-dev
You need those packages if I remember correctly.
Thnx bobo1on1, will try that tonight. Daemon is running and lights are working.
Arctic MC001 + Openelec
Hm, seems not to be the problem:

Code:
sudo apt-get install libxext-dev libx11-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
libxext-dev is already the newest version.
libxext-dev set to manually installed.
libx11-dev is already the newest version.
libx11-dev set to manually installed.

Any other thoughts ?
Arctic MC001 + Openelec
Seems PKG_CHECK_MODULES doesn't pick it up, dunno why.
bobo1on1 Wrote:Seems PKG_CHECK_MODULES doesn't pick it up, dunno why.

Anyway to force that ?

SOLVED: was missing libxft-dev.
Arctic MC001 + Openelec
Hey there. I made 2 vids running ambx on my macmini. One is the Crysis trailer and the other one is a philips ambilight demo.

This is with the following settings:
Code:
boblight-X11 -t 0.095 -a 20 -v 8 -s 2.5

In the video there seems to be a lag between whats happening on the screen and the lights, but here on the real thing there is none.

Here are the vids:

Crysis Trailer

Philips Ambilight demo
A polling interval of 95 ms will make it slow.
Your recommendation was 0.03 when I first asked Wink
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO get AmbX with X11 working using Boblight and CombustD0