• 5(current)
[LINUX] HOW-TO get AmbX with X11 working using Boblight and CombustD
Polling every 30 ms is faster than every 95 ms.
bobo1on1 Wrote:Polling every 30 ms is faster than every 95 ms.

I know, but it flickered a lot. I just read on your webpage that setting a higher value decreases the flickering. I've altered my whole light config now, so that the values are in the config instead of the command line.

My startup command looks like this

Code:
boblight-X11 -t 0.03 -a 20

and my boblight.conf

Code:
[global]
interface 127.0.0.1
port 19333

[device]
name AmbX_Combust
output "ruby /usr/local/combustd/applications/boblight/boblight.rb"
channels 15
type popen
interval 20000

[color]
name red
rgb FF0000

[color]
name green
rgb 00FF00

[color]
name blue
rgb 0000FF

[light]
name left
color red AmbX_Combust 1
color green AmbX_Combust 2
color blue AmbX_Combust 3
hscan 0 33.33
vscan 66.66 100
proportional 5.0
saturation 2.5
value 15
threshold 20
interpolation on

[light]
name right
color red AmbX_Combust 4
color green AmbX_Combust 5
color blue AmbX_Combust 6
hscan 66.66 100
vscan 66.66 100
proportional 5.0
saturation 2.5
value 15
threshold 20
interpolation on

[light]
name wwleft
color red AmbX_Combust 7
color green AmbX_Combust 8
color blue AmbX_Combust 9
hscan 0 40
vscan 0 33.33
proportional 5.0
saturation 2.5
value 2
threshold 20
interpolation on

[light]
name wwright
color red AmbX_Combust 10
color green AmbX_Combust 11
color blue AmbX_Combust 12
hscan 60 100
vscan 0 33.33
proportional 5.0
saturation 2.5
value 2
threshold 20
interpolation on

[light]
name wwcenter
color red AmbX_Combust 13
color green AmbX_Combust 14
color blue AmbX_Combust 15
hscan 33 66
vscan 0 33.33
proportional 5.0
saturation 2.5
value 2
threshold 20
interpolation on
Decrease what you pass to -a should also decrease flicker, it overrides the proportional in the config file.
I went back to -t 0.1 and -a 20 as I couldn't get rid of the flickering, and lowering the -a value seemed to slow the lights down considerably.

Its really good, especially since I altered my config again to scan only the first third of the screen vertically and decreasing the value for the upper 3 lights.

Now when there's something like text in the middle of the screen (crytek logo) while the rest is black, the lights go off like they're supposed to and don't stay on.

I edited my post above with the new settings.

I think it's all a matter of personal taste. I for myself like to extend the view with the lights, so that when something gets to the borders of the screen, the lights draw it further.
Z3rO: Any reason you set saturation to 3 then to 2.5 in your .conf?
I also notice in your vids that you have the left and rights hidden behind the tv, every other demo i've seen they have been visible, do you find it works better with them behind the tv?

*edit*
Also why are you setting the proportional to 5 in the conf then overwriting it with 20 at the commandline?
Kode Wrote:Z3rO: Any reason you set saturation to 3 then to 2.5 in your .conf?

With a value of 15 for the left and right rights I found it way too bright/colorful, but this is really subjective and a matter of personal taste.

Quote:I also notice in your vids that you have the left and rights hidden behind the tv, every other demo i've seen they have been visible, do you find it works better with them behind the tv?
I did put them behind the TV because the cables are to short to put them next to it. Wink But it works well nontheless.
Thats the reason I choose a very high value for the left/right lights and a pretty low one for the wallwasher since it sits on top of my TV.

Quote:*edit*
Also why are you setting the proportional to 5 in the conf then overwriting it with 20 at the commandline?

I'm still playing with the proportional value.
I'm at -t 0.1 -a 10 at the moment since I watched doomsday last night and the shadow/light switches were pretty heavy on that movie. I found it really stressfull for the eyes when the lights react to fast, especially since I reduced the scan range for the left/right lights so that they react more to whats going on at the screen edges.
Z3rO Wrote:With a value of 15 for the left and right rights I found it way too bright/colorful, but this is really subjective and a matter of personal taste.

i meant:

saturation 3.0
proportional 5.0
saturation 2.5

you set saturation, then proportional, then saturation again.

I tried putting my left and rights behind the tv and to be honest, i think its a bit less distracting than having the left and rights in eye sight.
Ah, was a mistake.
I corrected it.
I added a youtube video to http://www.lockstockmods.net/2010/05/22/...with-ambx/ doesn't really do it justice, need to get a better video camera (one at all really, it was taken on a phone) Smile
colleague of mine bought a whole bunch of these things, his whole appartment is now flooded with colored light Big Grin have to send him this thread, maybe he'll give it a try
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Question to bobo1on1:

Is it possible to control multiple ambx kits?
I'm thinking about buying a second kit.
boblightd can do it, no sure about combustd.
Combustd currently doesn't support multiple sets, but I can add support for it in the current ruby version. Give me some time and I'll give it a go. I however have only 1 device myself.

Also I have applied jaaps' patch to the boblight.rb in version 0.2. Note that the svn location has changed to /branches because /trunk is set up for the new version I'm working on. jaaps patch is in revision 19.
sexybiggetje: with this change, is the path i use for getting the source still right?

svn checkout http://combustd.googlecode.com/svn/branc...d-ruby-0.1

And does this mean i can get rid of step 11? (theres a link to the guide 5 posts back)
You can skip step eleven, but use the following url for source:

http://combustd.googlecode.com/svn/branc...d-ruby-0.2

Step 4 then becomes:

svn checkout http://combustd.googlecode.com/svn/branc...d-ruby-0.2

Step 10 then becomes:

sudo mv combustd-ruby-0.2 /usr/local/combustd

And you can skip step 11
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO get AmbX with X11 working using Boblight and CombustD0