• 8(current)
[LINUX] HOW-TO get AmbX with X11 working using Boblight and CombustD
Thanx to alle people here for your work and support!

I running one AMBX Starter Kit, and it is great!

@sexybiggitje:
Any chance u add mutiple Kit Support?
I would appreciate it.
but thank you for your work neverless!
sexybiggetje Wrote:Combustd currently doesn't support multiple sets, but I can add support for it in the current ruby version. Give me some time and I'll give it a go. I however have only 1 device myself.
Just a little note for anyone installing ambx on Dharma live. The very first step you have to do is perform an update

sudo apt-get update

otherwise you wont be able install subversion
did anyone manage to run two or more ambx sets?
is there still no support for multiple sets? has anybody tried it sofar?
I am very interested in this set up and thanks for all the hard work you guys have done....

How ever I am having a problem getting mine to work. I follow all the steps on Kodes web page exactly and I test the lights and they work, i then start boblightd and he starts up but when i try to start boblight-X11 it says it does not exist. I tried to redo all the steps and notice that boblight-x11 does noy get built but dont know why

Any help will be appriciated

By the way I am trying to get this to work with XBMC Live (not Dhama) & my Linux knowledge is minimal
@Sparkygeezer

Thats most time the case, if one of the dependencies is missing. Try to look in the output of ./configure . If I guess right, then there is a line telling you what is missing and that boblight-X11 won't be compiled

@Others

I just changed to the xrender c/c++ version of boblight. I just curios if the algorithm to determine the accurate screen color has changed, cause the colors are on one hand less glossy, on the other hand more natural.

And I noticed some flickering, even if the screen isn't changing. Especially on a white screen color the light comes brighter for a split second (still white thought).

Anyway the speed is incredible. The light is flashing in real time on explosions or similar, which looks quite impressive.
Turn off flipping for opengl in nvidia-settings or pass the -x flag so it doesn't use xrender.
There's a bug in the nvidia driver when you're using xrender to scale down the the desktop to a pixmap when you have a fullscreen opengl window and flipping on, often you get the backbuffer instead of the frontbuffer.
That causes flickering.
Koshu Wrote:@Others

I just changed to the xrender c/c++ version of boblight. I just curios if the algorithm to determine the accurate screen color has changed, cause the colors are on one hand less glossy, on the other hand more natural.

Anyway the speed is incredible. The light is flashing in real time on explosions or similar, which looks quite impressive.

And how exactly did you change to the xrender/c++ version?
Koshu Wrote:@Sparkygeezer

Thats most time the case, if one of the dependencies is missing. Try to look in the output of ./configure . If I guess right, then there is a line telling you what is missing and that boblight-X11 won't be compiled

@Others

And I noticed some flickering, even if the screen isn't changing. Especially on a white screen color the light comes brighter for a split second (still white thought).

Thanks for the info but I just loaded up Dhama instead and now it works..... Just cant get it to work on start up.. Followed the instructions given previously but nothingHuh?
Sparky in Dharma do the following

*sudo apt-get update (allows you to install subversion)
*http://www.lockstockmods.net/2010/05/22/...with-ambx/ (Step by step instructions)
*sudo chmod +x /usr/bin/startambx (Make startup script executable)
*Turn the lights off and on again (using power button on side of main controller/plug, once XBMC has started up)
*Make sure in start up script that username and not xbmc is in the line (unless thats your account)
(eg sudo su - sparkygeezer -c "DISPLAY=:0.0 boblight-X11 -t 0.1"
works a treat - does anyone fancy updating the first post so new users can get it right first time? (or a wiki article - happy to help on that)
Hi,

I'm trying to get this working on Fedora 13, but I run into some troubles. Installation gives no problems, but when I do
Code:
sudo boblightd
nothing happens. I tried
Code:
boblightd
instead, but that gave me the following error:
Code:
Nr of devices: 1
Nr of lights: 5
Nr of colors: 3
Port: 19333
Interface: 127.0.0.1

Device AmbX_Combust
Type: 2
Output: ruby /usr/local/combustd/applications/boblight/boblight.rb
Channels: 15
Interval: 20000
Period: -1
Rate: -1

Color red
RGB: ff0000
Adjust: 1.0
Blacklevel: 0.0
Gamma: 1.0

Color green
RGB: 00ff00

Color blue
RGB: 0000ff

Light left
Number of colors: 3
Color 0: red
Color 1: green
Color 2: blue
Interpolation is on
Hscan: 0.0-33.3
Vscan: 0.0-66.7
Proportional: 20.0
Saturation: 3.0
Value: 3.0
Valuerange: 0.0-1.0
Use this light
Average method used
Black threshold: 20

Light right
Interpolation is on
Hscan: 66.7-100.0
Vscan: 0.0-66.7
Use this light
Average method used

Light wwleft
Interpolation is on
Hscan: 0.0-40.0
Vscan: 0.0-33.3
Use this light
Average method used

Light wwright
Interpolation is on
Hscan: 60.0-100.0
Use this light
Average method used

Light wwcenter
Interpolation is on
Hscan: 33.0-66.0
Use this light
Average method used

Starting popen daemon on ruby /usr/local/combustd/applications/boblight/boblight.rb
/usr/local/combustd/applications/boblight/../../libcombustd/libcombustd.rb:5:in `require': no such file to load -- usb (LoadError)
    from /usr/local/combustd/applications/boblight/../../libcombustd/libcombustd.rb:5
    from /usr/local/combustd/applications/boblight/boblight.rb:3:in `require'
    from /usr/local/combustd/applications/boblight/boblight.rb:3

Any ideas on what's wrong?

Pithlit
OK, I figured it out myself. Everything works now.

I posted a modification of the guide which is posted here on the amBX-forums for Fedora, you can find it here

Pithlit
Is there any progress with using multiple ambx devices?
hey bobo1on1 i am new to all this just recently finished setting up my atv to run xbmc , but i also want to add ambilight to it also and you seem like the most knowledgeable person here on the subjet so iam asking for your help
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO get AmbX with X11 working using Boblight and CombustD0