rename file directory without losing "watched flag"?
Hi -
I've been using xbmc for a while now in "file mode" and just found time to play with it and get it setup using "library mode".

I've got a lot of shows marked as "watched". However, I realize the scraper situation now, needs more accurate file/folder names than I currently have. Specifically, on CSI. I need to rename it to "csi crime scene investigation". But if I do that, I lose the "watched" flags.

How can I rename that without losing "watched" flag?

Thanks
Asiajason
5 year XBMC user on iMac OS X
You can export the database to separate nfo files, but the watched status wasn't always exported so it still may not work for you.

You can manually edit the database after you change the folder name. It's not too difficult. There's a path table which you would need to correct. The default database is sqlite and there's a lot of free and/or open source editors. SQLiteSpy and SQLiteBrowser come to mind.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
kraqh3d, read a bit more thorough - they guy was using file mode Wink

you're SOL unless you know how to fiddle with a database.
I don't mind digging into the db. Can I just search for the "csi" and find the relevant db locations to modify? or can you tell me which table/etc I would need?

Spiff: I'm confused by your comment (to kraqh3d) about me using file/library mode. This implies (to me) there is a difference in how the "watched" flag is stored - depending on whether or not I'm using file/lib mode. (or am i misreading your comment) I was under the assumption that it didn't matter - that everything (including the watched flag) was stored in the db.

Thanks
asiajason Wrote:Hi -
I've been using xbmc for a while now in "file mode" and just found time to play with it and get it setup using "library mode".

I've got a lot of shows marked as "watched". However, I realize the scraper situation now, needs more accurate file/folder names than I currently have. Specifically, on CSI. I need to rename it to "csi crime scene investigation". But if I do that, I lose the "watched" flags.

How can I rename that without losing "watched" flag?

Thanks
Asiajason

Why not keep your current directory layout and for the series that aren't picked up correctly enter the information manually? As long as your episode names are in a format that the regex recognizes you don't need to rename the folder names. After you start the library mode you can browse through the file mode and see which directories aren't picked up. For those you can manually enter (part of) the showname and select the correct one (if your using the tvdb scraper that is).

Hope this makes things a bit simpler.
Kind regards,
Phil
well, yes and no. it's stored in the 'file' table in the database, so as such there's no difference. however, there's no 'export file info'. you can only export a populated library (this export includes the watched status). thus this is a chicken and egg problem in your case.

all you need to modify is the relevant strPath's in the 'path' table.
Hi Thanks Phil, but:

rimster Wrote:As long as your episode names are in a format that the regex recognizes you don't need to rename the folder names.

My CSI shows are in proper format (lots of different sources all used the same format) However, it didn't match with the automatic scan. For some reason, all the episodes in my directory are being recognized as "csi: ny" not "csi: crime scene investigation". Every one is mis-mapped (ie, "CSI-s01e01..." is the name of the file, and that is getting recognized as season 1 episode 1 of CSI NY - not CSI las vegas (known as csi: crime scene investigation).

rimster Wrote:After you start the library mode you can browse through the file mode and see which directories aren't picked up. For those you can manually enter (part of) the showname and select the correct one (if your using the tvdb scraper that is).

Yes, I remember being able to actually type in a name for the show somewhere too... I just can't find it now.

But, I found out how to do this (but not by entering the name). Here is what I did: first I delete the "CSI:NY" completely from the library to start fresh, and (in file mode) right click / set content on my Top Level CSI directory (simply called CSI), then set it as a "tv show" type, with "thetvdb.com", I also tick "selected folder contains a single tv show". When I hit OK, I get no choice to enter the show name.

Next, I found you MUST right click, then select "TV Show Information" - NOT "Scan for new content". The "TV Show Info" brings up a dialog with POSSIBLE matches - and I can select the correct one. The second one make the best guess for you, and hence won't work for me (it matches CSI: NY for my "CSI".

There was another recent thread where the poster had the same CSI problem, found that it was necessary to rename the directory - thats where I got that idea from .

Problem solved, for me. No DB editing. Thanks for the push in the right direction. Still curious where I saw the "tv show name editor" before, though.
asiajason Wrote:Hi Thanks Phil, but:

My CSI shows are in proper format (lots of different sources all used the same format) However, it didn't match with the automatic scan. For some reason, all the episodes in my directory are being recognized as "csi: ny" not "csi: crime scene investigation". Every one is mis-mapped (ie, "CSI-s01e01..." is the name of the file, and that is getting recognized as season 1 episode 1 of CSI NY - not CSI las vegas (known as csi: crime scene investigation).

Yes, I remember being able to actually type in a name for the show somewhere too... I just can't find it now.

But, I found out how to do this (but not by entering the name). Here is what I did: first I delete the "CSI:NY" completely from the library to start fresh, and (in file mode) right click / set content on my Top Level CSI directory (simply called CSI), then set it as a "tv show" type, with "thetvdb.com", I also tick "selected folder contains a single tv show". When I hit OK, I get no choice to enter the show name.

Next, I found you MUST right click, then select "TV Show Information" - NOT "Scan for new content". The "TV Show Info" brings up a dialog with POSSIBLE matches - and I can select the correct one. The second one make the best guess for you, and hence won't work for me (it matches CSI: NY for my "CSI".

There was another recent thread where the poster had the same CSI problem, found that it was necessary to rename the directory - thats where I got that idea from .

Problem solved, for me. No DB editing. Thanks for the push in the right direction. Still curious where I saw the "tv show name editor" before, though.

Alternatively you could use a 3rd party tool like Ember to scrape your tv shows, without having to rename them, that should still retain the watched status, but also add them to the library consistently.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
rename file directory without losing "watched flag"?0