DVD ISO subtitles disappearing
Hello XBMC fans!

I'm experiencing quite some issues with DVD embedded subtitles/subpictures in ISO images. Since I'm not a native English speaker, we usually watch movies with subtitles on, which we select via the DVD menu, or via the options of the currently playing video (when there's no menu).

1) When starting from the beginning or when typing in a time index (e.g. 0 0 1 5 to start at 00:15) subs are displaying fine, but after a certain amount of time (sometimes only a few seconds) they disappear.

2) When "resuming play", they disappear immediately, and can not be turned on (they are marked as "on" in the video language/subs settings). Sometimes turn off/ turn on fixes it, sometimes not. Sometimes jumping back a chapter suddenly turns it back on.

I'm running XBMC on Windows 7 64 bit (DSPlayer build 29166) on a N330/ION system with DXVA acceleration (internal to DVDPlayer, not DSPlayer) turned on. Assuming that DXVA2 support is still immature in the XBMC builds, I tried with DXVA turned off, but have the same result.
On the other hand, text-based SRT subtitles on AVI/MKV/M2TS movies work fine all the time.
I've had this problem since older releases (28xxx) and was hoping that it would go away.

I'm also running the latest BOXEE (early release) in parallel, and DVD ISO subtitles/subpictures work fine there. Since BOXEE is using XBMC code, it must have worked correctly at some point, so there must be a (not too difficult) way to fix the code some time.

Any thoughts?
Voyager-xbmc Wrote:Hello XBMC fans!

I'm experiencing quite some issues with DVD embedded subtitles/subpictures in ISO images. Since I'm not a native English speaker, we usually watch movies with subtitles on, which we select via the DVD menu, or via the options of the currently playing video (when there's no menu).

1) When starting from the beginning or when typing in a time index (e.g. 0 0 1 5 to start at 00:15) subs are displaying fine, but after a certain amount of time (sometimes only a few seconds) they disappear.

2) When "resuming play", they disappear immediately, and can not be turned on (they are marked as "on" in the video language/subs settings). Sometimes turn off/ turn on fixes it, sometimes not. Sometimes jumping back a chapter suddenly turns it back on.

I'm running XBMC on Windows 7 64 bit (DSPlayer build 29166) on a N330/ION system with DXVA acceleration (internal to DVDPlayer, not DSPlayer) turned on. Assuming that DXVA2 support is still immature in the XBMC builds, I tried with DXVA turned off, but have the same result.
On the other hand, text-based SRT subtitles on AVI/MKV/M2TS movies work fine all the time.
I've had this problem since older releases (28xxx) and was hoping that it would go away.

I'm also running the latest BOXEE (early release) in parallel, and DVD ISO subtitles/subpictures work fine there. Since BOXEE is using XBMC code, it must have worked correctly at some point, so there must be a (not too difficult) way to fix the code some time.

Any thoughts?

Hi - firstly I should have read your issue more closely - initially thought you were referring to dsplayer, which has a known issue in rendering subtitles - sorry can't help with that one. Though the answer regarding Boxee and XBMC stands.

Whilst Boxee is using XBMC code their implementation of DXVA and XBMC implementation are totally different. Therefore what works in one doesn't necessarily mean that it will work in the other.
Question 
My point is that it's not about DXVA in Boxee vs. XBMC. I tried without acceleration turned on, and it still is problematic.
Can anyone else confirm this behavior with DVD subs?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DVD ISO subtitles disappearing0