Movie Library Organization questions
I have been using XBMC for a very long time and have somewhat developed my own method for organizing my collection rather then following any kind of template. Now I am rethinking how I organize my content and was wondering if anyone could provide any input on if my methods are good or if its worth the exhausting hours it will take to change it.

So for the longest time I have organized my movie library like such:

I create folders for each genre (comedy, horror, etc.) and put the bare file within each folder.

\Movies\Genre
—— MovieTitle1.mkv
—— MovieTitle2.avi
—— MovieTitle3.iso

\TV Shows\Show
—— ShowTitle.avi
—— etc.

I did it like this because I would be able to look quickly in a single folder and see all of the files and their sizes without having to drill down into folders.

Also its easier to manually manipulate and add new files my dragging and dropping to a single folder.

The method I understand is the preferred way is:

\Movies\
—-\MovieTitle\
—— MovieTitle.mkv
—— folder.jpg
—— fanart.jpg
—— movie-trailer.flv
—— title.nfo

\TV Shows\
—- \Show\
—— folder.jpg
—— fanart.jpg
——- \Season\
——— folder.jpg

The advantage this this is I can use 3rd party organization software and be able to store trailers and additional info within each folder which.

Question 1: Should I change my method to match the preferred way

Question 2: Is there a batch process for creating folders for all of my files or do I have to create them manually?

Question 3: If I go through the process of putting each movie into its own folder do 3rd party applictions like Media Companion actually download the trailer files, nfo, etc. or if I don't have them already then I would have to go out and get all those files manually?
You don't need to change your structure to use a media manager you can still have the same content stored locally it will just have the movie title in the file name where when the movies are in there own folders they don't have to

1 - Up to you

2 - Ember media manager can create folders for your movies and put them in there for you

3 - Its all done for you but also allows you to personally choose fanart, thumbs etc if your not happy with anything

Give Ember a try you can always create a test directory with a couple of movies in
Great! Thank you, I am glad there is software that automates the folder creation....whew

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Movie Library Organization questions0