MKV Movies and SRT Subtitles
I was just wanting to get peoples experience with this. I collect mostly HD 720p/1080p movies and like to have the English subtitles for them for when the audio is soft in places. is it better to have the SRT file in the MKV file (using MKVMerge) or have it external and just have the Audio and Video stream in the MKV?

just wanting to get different users experience etc.

cheers
anyone? I love having the subtitles external as i can edit them or replace them if they have timing issues but Alaska doesnt seem to detect the external subtitles to show the nice ENG flag for my english subtitles
Bump
I prefer to have them internal to the file as it means that there are less files floating around and the subtitles are always available. You can extract the SRT using mkvextract, edit it, and then remerge it back into the file. The only downside to that is the time required to merge the edited subtitles back in.
If you plan on merging an srt file into the mkv, make sure it's properly timed first. Usually if you download a movie and there are subs packed in it, it's good. But many posters don't speak or read English, and in an attempt to package all languages, they get the wrong file. It may not sync up, and they don't notice. Always test.
WinGmaN Wrote:anyone? I love having the subtitles external as i can edit them or replace them if they have timing issues but Alaska doesnt seem to detect the external subtitles to show the nice ENG flag for my english subtitles
Indeed... http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/8472

V.
Also,

One big difference will be the scraping ability,

e.g. the subtitle is merged in the MKV (in ssa, ass, srt, sub or any other format), you then can use e.g. emberMM to scrape the subtitle, which will e.g. show the logo and the audio language within XBMC

if the subtitle is external then there is not this scrapping advantage...
[XBMC-DX r31103 T! r455]
.:LAPTOP:. Dell [C2D E6400] [8G DDR2] [Intel X4500HD] [LED 14'' 1280*800@60p]
.:NAS:. Antec [Ci7 920] [12G DDR3] [Matrox m9148] [19.4 TiB] [Triple Samsung 22'' 5040*1050@60p]
.:HTPC:. Antec [C2 Q9400] [6G DDR2] [nv GT240 VP4] [SB X-FI Ti] [Toshiba 46'' 1920*1080@24p] [Logitech Z5K5]
For now seeing as i am rebuilding my library... I am remuxing my MKV's to just have the Vidoe and Audio Stream in the MKV and the subtitle external. i can code an app to take all MKV's and add the subs back in later on when Ember supports subtitle variable for the bulk renamer and also shows if a move has internal or external subtitle. (waiting patiently)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MKV Movies and SRT Subtitles0