720p HDTV streams = lower fps +-20fps / not 60fps
My earlier post may not have been clear so I am revamping...I have seen other posts similar but no solutions that I can infer.

I have the official XBMCLive on a Foxconn NT-330i Atom 1.6ghz dual core working just fine (with 60hz adjustments using 1080p) for everything *BUT* mpeg2video streams of HDTV.

I am aware the VDCPU driver is for offloading h264/avc codes to GPU and this is working for full 1080p BluRay streams, compressed BluRays, converted HD-DVD and DVDtoH264 perfectly.

My question is...Is this CPU just not powerful enough to render 720p content from HDTV streams? Am I not capturing them correctly?

Can anyone play HDTV streams of 720p at 60fps as the original sources are? I would assume this hyper threaded dual core would have enough push to decode and display these types of streams.

Sources are from MythTV using a PC-HDTV card pulling streams from cable QAM. Many are ~33MBit streams at 720p. Haven't tested any 1080i yet but I'd assume the same problems.

XBMCLive plays them but at about 20-25 fps *NOT* dropping frames and the audio play fine for a few seconds then start to skip, presumably to not get too far ahead of video. The output show one of the 4 CPUs approaching 100% but never reaches. The process also seems to be moving from CPU to CPU so the high values move around.

I've messed with all the sync settings, vblank settings and clock setting to no avail. There may be something in the BIOS but I think that’s a stretch.

The goal was to watch these streams as they came from the QAM. I have been converting to 960x544 xvid for viewing with and XBOX1/XBMC but went this route to stream HDTV.

I don't think it’s a TV/HDMI output problem as I can switch to 60hz and all other file types play without issue. It just seems to be a bitrate problem with these streams. I'm not sure if they are captured as a PS stream or TS stream and if I can even tweak the capture settings. MythTV has been up and running for years in this configuration so I have not researched there.

Anyone have *ANY* thoughts?

Thanks...
Set TV to 720p 60hz and the raw feeds play perfectly.

OK...so what does this mean? Hard to say...up-scaling frames to 1080p kills the system. OK...

Is there an option to have the system switch to an appropriate resolution/rate that works?

How do I tell XBMC to only use the res/freq I select? There are more options that I will ever need.

Only streams that seem to need a 'switch' is 720p, haven't tested 1080i yet.

Anyone experience thisHuh

Anyone?
The problem is that: Yes, the dual Atom is too weak to properly decode the streams.

Unfortunetly VDPAU does not accelerate MPEG2 currently thanks to a bug that it won't work with pure DVD rips.

Personally I wish there was a branch with MPEG2 VDPAU support for those of us who don't care about DVD rips....
current svn allows vdpau mpeg2 acceleration of every size, so hold out Smile
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

bmcclint you haven't enabled some advancedsetting for software upscaling or use some other scaling than bilinear have you?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I have added an advancedsettings.xml with the following...

<advancedsettings>
<video>
<vdpauscaling>true</vdpauscaling>
</video>
</advancedsettings>

Can you suggest anything else?

I'm really surprised its not dropping frames. I would expect the drop counter to increase but its playing EVERY frame...
Turn off vdpau scaling.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
720p HDTV streams = lower fps +-20fps / not 60fps0