New Build: v0.6.7
Maybe get rid of your task manager?
Running XBMC on my HTPC, tablet, phone and pinball machine.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forums before posting. Do NOT e-mail Team-XBMC members asking for support. For troubleshooting and bug reporting, make sure you read this first.
What kinda of solution is that?

You have a process running on the background doing nothing and opening itself without any reason for doing so.

If you don't want to fix the problem fine, you're developer. But at least don't make excuses for it...
I have no clue what your task manager does and neither can I change any of it. Obviously you haven't noticed yet, but most Android apps sit in the background doing nothing. Open your market app or Google Maps or any other app with no explicit "Exit" button, and they will all stay visible in whatever task manager you're using. They are, however, suspended so that neither RAM nor CPU of your phone are used.

If that worries you, you should Google it or get another phone. I can't do more than adding an "Exit" button to the app.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forums before posting. Do NOT e-mail Team-XBMC members asking for support. For troubleshooting and bug reporting, make sure you read this first.
freezy Wrote:I have no clue what your task manager does and neither can I change any of it.
The task manager is not doing anything, it just reports what's going on the system. You should know that.

freezy Wrote:Obviously you haven't noticed yet, but most Android apps sit in the background doing nothing. Open your market app or Google Maps or any other app with no explicit "Exit" button, and they will all stay visible in whatever task manager you're using.
Notice the keyword on bold... I have not opened XBMC. I kill all apps and the XBMC one opens up by itself randomly.

That's what I'm talking about...
I don't know anything about your task manager because there is no standard task manager app and I don't know which of the zillion versions that are available you are using.

The remote hooks into several events and gets triggered (consequence: executed) by them, for instance on phone ring, message receive and so on. That's the things you've confirmed when you installed the app.

Again, if you're manually killing apps, you obviously haven't understood how Android works.
I understand how Android works perfectly fine.

You are the one who's neglecting a problem within the app and don't even bother to understand what I'm saying.

I'm just going to say this once again but I'm not going to bother with it anymore cause I realized I'm talking with someone arrogant that thinks knows it all.

The app opens itself on the background without me opening it. I'm not using it AT ALL for days and the app pops up on the background. I don't even have XBMC running in my computer for days too. I have disabled all events/triggers/settings, whatever you wanna call them, in the XBMC Remote settings page. Everything is disabled, the app shouldn't do anything without me doing it manually. But it does. That's the problem. That's a bug, no matter what you say about my task manager, they are just excuses to not even bother with this problem.

Do whatever you want, it's your app, not mine.
Nazgulled Wrote:The app opens itself on the background without me opening it. I'm not using it AT ALL for days and the app pops up on the background. I don't even have XBMC running in my computer for days too. I have disabled all events/triggers/settings, whatever you wanna call them, in the XBMC Remote settings page. Everything is disabled, the app shouldn't do anything without me doing it manually.
Actually, the app is hooked into the events whether you disable them or not. That's the way it works. When you disable the call/sms stuff in the app settings, you just tell the app NOT to do anything with the events when the are received.
When the app is INSTALLED it subscribes to calls and sms, and it WILL receive the events whether you start the app manually or not.

That's how android does this stuff.

:O) Mikkle
The Android system is opening the app, not the app itself. The app registered itself as an broadcast receiver and gets notified whenever the phonestate changes (i.e. some calls you) or you receive an SMS. Due to the fact you unchecked that option in the app doesn't mean it wont get notified, it just won't do anything. It is the way android is designed...
If it bothers you that much grab the source, remove the broadcast receiver lines from the Manifest.xml and compile it yourself. If you don't know how to do that, there is a How To in our wiki.
XBMCLive Dharma beta 2 running on an ASRock ION 330 HT
Finally, someone gave me an answer I can deal with...

For the record, talking about how the Android system works killing apps it's one thing and talking about how the Android system works regarding events and triggers, it's another completely different thing.

That I didn't know, I admit. But I knew this had nothing to do with my/a task manager, that's why I sounded furious on my posts above.

Still, can't you hook to those events/triggers only when the options are enabled? And unhook them when the options are not select? Wouldn't that work?
Nazgulled Wrote:Still, can't you hook to those events/triggers only when the options are enabled? And unhook them when the options are not select? Wouldn't that work?

Unfortunately not. The hooks are part of the manifest, and that gets parsed by android install-time. The_Aliens suggestion about removing the hook from the manifest and do your own build, is actually the only way of avoiding it completely.

:O) Mikkle
Ok, thanks for the clarification. I definitely didn't know that.

It's odd that the system works like that though. There should be a way to hook/unhook by code. But that's a Google/Android issue, I know, I'm just saying.
Nazgulled Wrote:Still, can't you hook to those events/triggers only when the options are enabled? And unhook them when the options are not select? Wouldn't that work?

The hooks are defined in the xml file and registered to the system that way. You can't just unhook them... it is a static way right now.

But why bother? It is sitting there and is doing nothing. It wont cost you any of your battery life. And if it bothers you that much grab yourself the source and compile it without the hook.
XBMCLive Dharma beta 2 running on an ASRock ION 330 HT
Cause I'm picky and I don't like things that shouldn't be there, that's all.

I could compile it like that, but in case I need to enable the option, I need to compile it again. That's why I wondered about hooking/unhooking by code. Apparently it's not possible and I understand that.
Oh, boy.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New Build: v0.6.70