Offload DB function to client-server relationship
I know this is an oldy, but never been properly addressed:
Offload the DB function from the current local box only on each client, to a centralized server - client relationship across all platforms (xbox, linux, windows, ect) to allow all clients to sync with centralized db (instead of the current scanning online db and making a local library)
Information 
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=55794
lloydsmart Wrote:http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=55794

I think that's something different. A database abstraction layer is meant to allow the usage of several database types (like MySQL, PostgreSQL) and not just SQLite.

I think what he is looking for is http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=37315
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Like i said.. it has never been properly addressed.. it doesnt seem like that hard of a concept in the end
You can do it already by having mysql serve the db (video and music) to the clients.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:You can do it already by having mysql serve the db (video and music) to the clients.

This is exactly the concept. How do you setup xbmc (especially in xbox) to connect to a localhost mysql server and grab all video information? And how do you setup xbmc on windows to index and table all the db info on its update? Isnt their a conflict in db setup between windows and xbox that doesn't allow cross platform migration of the db?
I haven't seen anywhere that has information on this setup process...
huh?

the db doesn't have to run on localhost, that would be silly. you run the db on a dedicated box / some other box running a suitable os (linux). note that this is not ported to xbox.
spiff Wrote:huh?

the db doesn't have to run on localhost, that would be silly. you run the db on a dedicated box / some other box running a suitable os (linux). note that this is not ported to xbox.

If you have multiple boxes running XBMC, you might want to have one which also host mysql therefore using a localhost mysql server.

Numus: see >> here <<. svn 28117 or later required.
Numus Wrote:This is exactly the concept. How do you setup xbmc (especially in xbox) to connect to a localhost mysql server and grab all video information? And how do you setup xbmc on windows to index and table all the db info on its update? Isnt their a conflict in db setup between windows and xbox that doesn't allow cross platform migration of the db?
I haven't seen anywhere that has information on this setup process...
Check these threads for more info(how to setup, troubleshoot, etc.)

PC: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=70603
MAC: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=69838

XBOX is not supported
Odon Wrote:If you have multiple boxes running XBMC, you might want to have one which also host mysql therefore using a localhost mysql server.

obviously, my point is you're in no way limited to running the mysql locally.
Well not supporting xbox just puts the nail in that wish Sad

But since i am looking at getting nettops this might still be a viable option...
Odon Wrote:If you have multiple boxes running XBMC, you might want to have one which also host mysql therefore using a localhost mysql server.

Ya, would the primary box (localhost) be the only one that can update the library? Basically do all boxes have read/write access to the db or does only the host box? Also how does this work with images since sql doesnt support images...
Numus Wrote:Well not supporting xbox just puts the nail in that wish Sad

But since i am looking at getting nettops this might still be a viable option...

Ya, would the primary box (localhost) be the only one that can update the library? Basically do all boxes have read/write access to the db or does only the host box? Also how does this work with images since sql doesnt support images...
Every XBMC client have read an write access, so you can update the db from any XBMC instance.
Regarding images, actually MySQL supports image storing as BLOBS, but a central thumbnail cache hasn't been implemented yet in XBMC. Currently there are a couple of temporary solutions to this issue, I advice you to read the threads that I posted earlier for more info about this.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Offload DB function to client-server relationship0