I really want to use XBMC, but questions.
Hi everyone, new here but been doing some reading. I have a ton of questions, so please bear with me. My current set up is...

Gigabyte MB on board video, ATI 3300HD
8gb DDR2 800mhz ram
AMD Phenom X4 II 940 3.0 ghz
ATI PCIe 4350HD 512mb Video
ATI Wonder 600 PCIe 1x Tuner
3TB Hard drive space.
2x Blu Ray Drives
22" Acer Wide LCD (Main)
17" Acer Regular LCD (Extended Desktop)
37" Vizio HD LCD (For Media)
OS Dual Boot Windows 7 x64 Ultimate / Win XP x64
Logitech Harmony 550

Okay onward with the questions...

1. I set up xbmc and it plays all my files perfectly. That is great. But, I cannot seem to get that plugin installer working properly. Can anyone link to me a post explaining how to install it?

2. What is the XBMC Live?

3. I want my tuner card to work, I am yet to fidn any media center that will give me more than just 6 hd channels when hooked up to cable. I tried media portal, but two problems, 1. I love xp x64, it wont run on that. 2. I cant the tv server to work at all. Can anyone suggest an easy plugin to get my tuner card to work?

4. Is there any special remote plugin to get the remote to work? Its a harmony 550 running as a media center remote. The one thing I love about media portal is, media portal does not have to have focus to control it, i.e. I can be working in firefox and my remote will only control MP. Can this be done with xbmc?

I will stop my questions now as I figure if I get the plugin system up and runnign I may be able to figure out more on my own. Any help and pointers here would be great. Thanks in advance.

Sincerely, Ryan
coragin Wrote:2. What is the XBMC Live?

It's a cut down Ubuntu Linux that boots from a CD or USB key and runs XBMC. The idea is to make life simple because in most cases you just download XBMCLive, burn it to CD or USB key and it will immediately work. Whether it's simpler than using Windows is debatable, but it's certainly simpler than manually installing Ubuntu then installing XBMC.

coragin Wrote:4. Is there any special remote plugin to get the remote to work? Its a harmony 550 running as a media center remote. The one thing I love about media portal is, media portal does not have to have focus to control it, i.e. I can be working in firefox and my remote will only control MP. Can this be done with xbmc?

See http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Usi...in_Windows. The Harmony will emulate the MS remote, so you can use either of the .reg files mentioned in the article to make it work with XBMC.

JR
Thanks for the info JR, now if I could only get my tuner card to work Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I really want to use XBMC, but questions.0