[LIVE] HOW-TO install Zsnes SNES Emulator with the Launcher plugin on XBMC (Tutorial)
The problem I encountered in post #40 above was in the new full release of Dharma.

So the answer seems to be both a 'yes' and 'no. Yes, Znes ran and played the game at the correct speed. However, it would not display at the correct resolution, and in fact caused system-wide issues for my general XBMC display settings which could only be remedied by deleting my guisettings file and reconfiguring all my display settings again from scratch - not something I would like to do again.

On this basis, I would say that Zsnes does not currently work properly according to the instructions throughout this thread. Though I see no good reason why it shouldn't. And I wish someone would provide an updated and improved installation guide to prove me wrong.
I've got zsnes and some other emulators (mednafen, pcsxr, dosbox, mupen64plus, gens/gs) running perfectly with Dharma Live B3 (XBMC itself updated to final). I could not go further as with Live releases >B3 my audio settings wouldn't work and I wasn't able to find the right asound.conf settings. However, this has nothing to do with the emulators and I'm pretty sure the final release of Dharma would work just as well as screen resolution concerns.
thanamesjames Wrote:Bump, Can anyone confirm this working with Dharma? I'd rather not go through the hassle, if it doesn't.

Got it working under XBMC Live 10/Dharma.

I had to set a custom resolution to 1920x1080 and it worked. Sound over optical is working on my ION-based system.
It's good to know that at least one ION user has succeeded.

If you could explain how you did it then there would surely be lots of grateful readers.

Thank you in advance! Wink
It wasn't that hard, but I'm using the "Advanced Launcher"-Plugin.

• Installing ZSNES:
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install zsnes

• Installing the Advanced Launcher"-Plugin
- Specify path to ZSNES
- Specify path to the ROMS
- Looking into the launchers.xml, found in /home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata/addon_data/plugin.program.advanced.launcher

Should look like this:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<launchers>
<launcher>
<name>
snes
</name>
<application>
/usr/bin/zsnes
</application>
<args>
-s -v 22 "%rom%"
</args>
<rompath>
/home/xbmc/Roms/SNES/
</rompath>
<thumbpath>
/home/xbmc/Roms/SNES/
</thumbpath>
<fanartpath>
/home/xbmc/Roms/SNES/
</fanartpath>
<romext>
zip|smc|sfc
</romext>
<platform>
Super Nintendo Entertainment System
</platform>
<thumb>
/home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata/addon_data/plugin.program.advanced.launcher/icons/snes/console.png
</thumb>
<fanart/>
<genre/>
<release/>
<publisher/>
<launcherplot/>
<wait>
true
</wait>
<roms>
<rom>
</rom>
</roms>
</launcher>
</launchers>

I removed the argument -m, so I could use the ZSNES-Gui.

• Set up custom resolution for ZSNES (argument -v 22)
- open /home/xbmc/.zsnes/zsnesl.cfg
- search for CustomResX= and CustomResX= and enter your desired resolution

• Done
That's all I have done. Once, I ran into the problem, that XBMC was rather small and in the top left corner of my TV after closing ZSNES. I deleted /home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata/guisettings.xml and everything went back to normal.
What a brilliant post! Thank you! Smile

I will backup my guisettings.xml file and then try this exactly as you have prescribed.

Watch this space!
What kind of controller can I use ? I'ts just not the same with the keyboard.
Haohmaru Wrote:What kind of controller can I use ? I'ts just not the same with the keyboard.

You should be able to use most USB gamepads - the caveat here ist that you have to just press the according buttons in the keyboard mapping config in the zsnes menu (remove -m switch for that) on your gamepad instead of the keyboard when configuring. Worked for me at least Smile
Ok folks, so I've got everything working properly on Dharma Live 10.1/Zotac ION ITX T (Atom D525, Ion2) thanks to the various pieces of information scattered across the forums Smile

The only problem remaining is that I normally don't have a keyboard attached to the box, just using the Windows MCE remote. This leaves me with no (apparent) way to quit the emulator. Any hints on how to achieve this are greatly appreciated!
TheDeadSerious Wrote:Ok folks, so I've got everything working properly on Dharma Live 10.1/Zotac ION ITX T (Atom D525, Ion2) thanks to the various pieces of information scattered across the forums Smile

The only problem remaining is that I normally don't have a keyboard attached to the box, just using the Windows MCE remote. This leaves me with no (apparent) way to quit the emulator. Any hints on how to achieve this are greatly appreciated!

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=86630

my last post explains how i did it but there are others in the thread too.
iOS XBMC users PLEASE use the advanced search function before starting a new thread. Make sure to click on 'XBMC for iOS Specific Support' so your results are narrowed down correctly.

Please make sure to visit the Sticky section for common issues/questions/etc. Also, XBMC for iOS information
Thumbs Up 
iLLNESS Wrote:http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=86630

my last post explains how i did it but there are others in the thread too.

Ah! Exactly the thread I was searching for, thanks!
I'm running an Acer Aspire Revo 3700. Ive been having problems with sound for hours and have tried just about every tip I could get my hands on. I'm fully updated, running a live install of 10.1.

I have libsdl1.2debian-all installed; have my .asoundrc correct with defaults.pcm.device 3; audio output device = hdmi; Passthrough output device Custom = plughw:1,3; passing arguments to zsnes = -s -v 22 -ad sdl -r 6;

Here is the wierd thing. I can kill x, then run zsnes through terminal passing the same arguments and it will work fine. Then, when I start x back up, I have no menu sounds but when I start zsnes I will have sound. When I reboot xbmc everything goes back to normal (ie. menu sounds but no snes sounds).

Any ideas here? Am I just missing something simple?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] HOW-TO install Zsnes SNES Emulator with the Launcher plugin on XBMC (Tutorial)0