[LIVE] HOW-TO install Zsnes SNES Emulator with the Launcher plugin on XBMC (Tutorial)
For custom resolution, use -v 22, and set your Custom X / Y in ~/.zsnes/zsnesl.cfg. 1440x1080 (as suggested by fuz1on) keeps it in full screen but adds the black bars for HD TVs / widescreen LCDs.
Anyone have a good guide for getting your f-in USB joypad to work in this setup? Esp. the Acer setup?
Small roadblock for a very few users... If you have a microsoft keyboard attached there is a strong possibility it is assigned to /dev/input/js0 - ubuntu thinks it's a gamepad.
For those looking to setup a gamepad, remove the -m argument and use the GUI to set the keybindings. This should work for almost all modern USB gamepads since they use HID. Worked flawlessly for me.... after a few hours of frustration... Alternatively you can map the controls directly through the .cfg file, but that's far more annoying. Once done slap -m back on and you're good to go. Fully functional 1440x1080 ZSNES with joypad here.
Izod517 Wrote:For custom resolution, use -v 22, and set your Custom X / Y in ~/.zsnes/zsnesl.cfg. 1440x1080 (as suggested by fuz1on) keeps it in full screen but adds the black bars for HD TVs / widescreen LCDs.

in case you're wondering I had issues with this and had to set the following to work on my 720p tv:

Code:
cvidmode=20
; Last windowed & fullscreen modes (used when alt-tabbing)
PrevWinMode=20
PrevFSMode=3

; Custom Resolution X and Y for Custom Video Modes [256x224..2048x1536]
CustomResX=1360
CustomResY=768
Maybe I'm missing something so I need some help. Zsnes works and it runs and I can see it on screen and nothing else. But the keyboard presses mouse etc move XBMC and doesn't control Zsnes. Is it something to do with my video more perhaps?

Edit: Ok, I figured it all out. In case anyone else is wondering this is how I solved my problem:

The keyboard etc issues: because I only edited the first sys.parameters not the second

To trouble shoot the other issues:
1) I created a script /home/xbmc/launcher.sh

Code:
echo "Launching... " > log.txt
echo $@ >> log.txt
echo "Program Log" >> log.txt
$@ >> log.txt

and made it executable (chmod +x /home/xbmc/launcher.sh)

2) I changed the launcher line to /home/xbmc/launcher.sh and the args line to /usr/bin/zsnes -m -v 20 -s

3) When I ran the script it would exit but only because of spaces when running games with no spaces in the name it would load (this is because of the script, not because of launcher just be aware). No I was finally able to see zsnes logs and errors and what it came down to was this: I'm an idiot. I had set the left trigger on my xbox controller as the "exit" button in zsnes. What I didn't realize was that linux treats it as a slider so it's technically always pressed after the first time you press it. So after my first game loaded I exited and tried loading another game Zsnes thought I was holding down the exit button.

So there you go.

Thanks again for this tutorial. Now to try and see how to get Mednafen (or fceu) for my NES roms working! I can get it to load, with sound and everything just it doesn't take focus, even with the added lines so I can't do anything with it and just end up having to killall the process. Any help would be appreciated.
FCEU for some reason was a pain to setup Mednafen worked much better and easier. I ha sound problems with FCEU.

Also you bring up a great point, Xbox controllers and a few logitech controllers have buttons that are considered sliders (which can cause a world of trouble, jscal can be used to fix this but I don't know the process off-hand) - also the easiest way to set up a controller for Gens and for ZSNES are to use the guis. Remove the -m arg from ZSNES to get the gui back, and in Gens just hit ALT+ENTER. On mednafen it's as simple as hitting ALT+SHIFT+x (where x is the player number you want to set up, 1, 2, etc).

For Mednafen are you using the arg. "-fs 1" - I believe that's full screen arg.'

Here's my args for Mednafen:
-nes.xres 960 -nes.yres 700 -fs 1 -sounddriver sdl

I set a custom resolution that was best for my TV and provided the proper aspect ratio - you can remove those lines and use something like -nes.strech 1 which is what Duffman is using.
how did you install Gens? I'm having a hell of a time trying to find it.
Give me two minutes and I have everything posted for you.

Edit: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=5...post533217

Compiled everything Duff and I have learned through this thread and other sources, as well as internal discussions we've had via PM.

For gens you can get the one from the ubuntu repository.

sudo apt-get install gens

You MAY need to do sudo apt-get install -f gens to get any additional packages needed. I did but Duff did not.
Izod517 Wrote:Give me two minutes and I have everything posted for you.

Edit: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=5...post533217

Compiled everything Duff and I have learned through this thread and other sources, as well as internal discussions we've had via PM.

For gens you can get the one from the ubuntu repository.

sudo apt-get install gens

You MAY need to do sudo apt-get install -f gens to get any additional packages needed. I did but Duff did not.

Ugh just tried this and apt-get want to install 80 megs worth of crap I don't want installed (like QT libs and cairo crap) I wish there was another Genesis emu that was worth anything out there. Oh well.
It was so awesome seeing SNES up in 1080p that i got ambitious. I tried to get mupen64plus to run on my aspire revo running XBMC live.
I'm sure i'm not the only one who lusts for this. Here's the command to install mupen64plus.
Code:
sudo apt-get update
Code:
sudo apt-get install mupen64plus
then that installs it to home/games/mupen64plus
my launchers.xml files looks like this (for SNES and Nintendo 64)
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<launchers>
        <launcher>
                <name>Zsnes</name>
                <application>/usr/bin/zsnes</application>
                <args>-s -v 18 -ad sdl -r 6</args>
                <rompath>/home/pete/roms/SNES/</rompath>
                <romext>smc</romext>
                <thumb></thumb>
                <wait>true</wait>
                <roms></roms>
       </launcher>
       <launcher>
        <name>Mupen64Plus</name>
                <application>/usr/games/mupen64plus</application>
                <args></args>
                <rompath>/home/pete/roms/n64/</rompath>
                <romext>z64</romext>
                <thumb></thumb>
                <wait>false</wait>
                <roms></roms>
       </launcher>
</launchers>

Then i had to (this get's tricky) right-click mupen64plus from the launchers program, click "import from source" or something of the like (i'm sorry - i'm not at my box at the moment) and import the game file list THEN click mupen 64 to bring up the list of roms. If you don't do this first, xbmc will crash. I'm not sure why this is.

Anyways - it'll start your rom up in the top left corner of the screen. With gentle modifications by clicking in the screen of mupen64plus and hitting ESC to get to the actual program.

This is where i threw up the white flag. It was too much for either me or my little aspire revo. I couldn't find system recommendations for mupen64plus so i couldn't figure out if my computer was underpowered enough. I know my buddy ran N64 roms via boxee over windows 7, so i figure i can run mupen64plus over barely anything, right?

Thanks for any help.
*edit*
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
Izod517 Wrote:Ok I fixed my problem - because I used wrote launchers.xml as root, it was owned by root/root - meaning that Launcher from within XBMC could not write to launchers.xml when I got new thumbs and tried to add new games.

If you're a linux noob here's how to figure out if this is your problem:

Change to the plugins data dir in terminal

cd /home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata/plugin_data/programs/Launcher/

write ls -l in the command line.

It should spit out something like this:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 570 2010-04-25 17:12 launchers.xml

See the "root root" there, well if that's the case XBMC cannot write to the file because it's owned by root and the group root.

sudo chown xbmc:xbmc luanchers.xml

Make sure it's correct:
ls -l
-rw-r--r-- 1 xbmc xbmc 570 2010-04-25 17:12 launchers.xml

Success.

I know for a lot of people that's Linux common sense, but you know it happens.

Thank you sirBig Grin
Oops! Wrong thread. Sorry.
Mmmm the sound fix didn't work for me on a revo r3610 outputting audio to hdmi with no pass-through as i output to my TV.

Any ideas ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] HOW-TO install Zsnes SNES Emulator with the Launcher plugin on XBMC (Tutorial)0