suggestions - setting up new acer aspire revo 1600 for xbmc
I just recently bought an Acer Aspire Revo 1600. I am going to upgrade the ram to 2GB very soon, but I would like to begin the process of setting things up. My goals are.......

1. XBMC as the main hub
2. Launch from XBMC to Hulu Desktop
3. Launch from XBMC to Boxee
4. All remote controlled with my harmony 520
5. I would also like to setup TED in the background and have it download all files into one folder and have a script that could separate the downloaded files into the proper sub-folder of a main tv shows folder and put it in the proper season folder and create the folder if it doesn't exist. I would like this structure...
a. TV Show
b. Season Number
c. Episodes

I have done a lot of research and know that all is possible for sure, except the folder creation script running with TED. I would like for it all to be done with Linux and would like to run no desktop underneath all of this, if possible.

I am mainly looking for suggestions as to which version of software and drives have been found to be the most compatible and stable and what methods you all have used in order to get proper functionality of the remote across all of the programs.

I am looking for as much information as possible and am fully planning on putting together a detailed how-to on my whole process. My goal is to completely remove cable service from my home and replace it with this box. Any help or previous experiences with any parts of this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all ahead of time and I can't wait to begin this process and be another person to have xbmc completely replace cable tv.
wow, quite the daunting list of goals!

Just a suggestion: wouldn't it make more sense to have a separate box as a media server? it would be incredibly taxing on a revo to be doing all that multitasking. I would reccommend finding an obsolete p4 box and throwing freeNAS on it, or set up a mythbox/ubuntu server and hide it in a closet or basement. that would eliminate the need for the TED, and increase your chances of success getting this thing up and running.

/EDIT for the harmony, you can use the M$ media extender remote out of the box i believe. I modified an original xbox dvd dongle ($4 at gamestop). Search the forums for a howto, its not that difficult to set up.
I was thinking about setting up an old pc I have as a media server. Unfortunately I was unable to get hulu desktop working properly on the revo 1600. I will upgrade to 2gb and give it another shot with xbmc live. Hopefully with the newest flash beta 10.1 and without the strain of a full desktop shell, hulu desktop will work well. Thanks for the suggestions.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
suggestions - setting up new acer aspire revo 1600 for xbmc0