• 2(current)
GPU video acceleration made possible by Apple?
davilla Wrote:Humm, the VideoDecodeAcceleration.framework is only 48K in size suggesting it's just a wrapper to other frameworks. Otool -L under 10.5 surprisingly shows the other dependent framework versions are valid under 10.5. I wonder if with a bit of manipulation, this decoder API would work under 10.5 as well as 10.6.3. Lots to ponder Smile

Buzz, roadkill on 10.5, VideoDecodeAcceleration.framework API uses a new VideoToolbox.framework that's only available under 10.6.x
Great news to see you working on this. If Im understanding this correctly, this will enable gpu acceleration on h264 video in any container. That includes x264 mkv scene releases, isnt that correct?
RckStr Wrote:Great news to see you working on this. If Im understanding this correctly, this will enable gpu acceleration on h264 video in any container. That includes x264 mkv scene releases, isnt that correct?

Any h264 video flavor that the decoder supports. There are many, many flavors of h264 and it's not clear what VDADecoder supports and what it does not support.
Is the goal to get this in the next release of XBMC?
smush420 Wrote:Is the goal to get this in the next release of XBMC?

The goal is to get it working and into svn trunk. Since trunk builds against 10.4 SDK, there are build issues to resolve as this needs to link with VideoDecodeAcceleration.framework which is only available on 10.6.3 and is a 10.6 SDK linkage. In addition, the header include is not public yet and it's an Apple developer violation to expose it right now. So besides implementing a factory codec to support this in xbmc (trivial), there are other details that will need to be worked out.
On ATV, what will be the advantage of crystal HD vs this?

JS
curlyjs Wrote:On ATV, what will be the advantage of crystal HD vs this?

JS

There wont be any afaik, since this will not compile for 10.5.*...
cusquinho Wrote:There wont be any afaik, since this will not compile for 10.5.*...

LOL, you mean 10.4, the AppleTV OS is a 10.4.7 variant.
davilla Wrote:LOL, you mean 10.4, the AppleTV OS is a 10.4.7 variant.

Sorry, yes, Tiger :-)
oh man, if this means accelerated H264 on OSX in XBMC all my Christmases will have come at once.

As much as I enjoyed learning basic linux to get XBMCLive installed - having everything on one OS would be great (not to mentioned better IR control and suspend/resume that just works!)

I will be checking back on this thread very often!! Nod
Wow, the Plex guys have already integrated working GPU acceleration in Plex and made a download available.

I'm not a programmer or anything but maybe davilla can look at the Plex code (or maybe it won't help him at all and I'm just talking out my as$).

Thanks once again for all your great work davilla.

Here's the Plex news link:
http://elan.plexapp.com/2010/04/27/hardw...g-on-plex/

/Martin Smile
plex code? lol.
spiff Wrote:plex code? lol.

Well, I know it's just XBMC with some changes, but that GPU code could be called 'plex code' maybe Big Grin
EDIT: i was mistaken. i somehow checked the wrong git branch, my bad.
spiff Wrote:EDIT: i was mistaken. i somehow checked the wrong git branch, my bad.

Yes, I was just going to reply when I saw your edit.

This is the link to the sauce if anyone's interested:
http://github.com/elan/plex/commit/1307f...c695274a00
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
GPU video acceleration made possible by Apple?0