• 8(current)
GPU video acceleration made possible by Apple?
Philmatic Wrote:Just install MediaInfo, point it to your movies directory, then switch it to sheet view. You can customize the columns as you see fit.

I have mediainfo on osx, but I just can open a single file, not an entire directory...
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/search.php...ion=search

So for 2009-2011 VC-1 does 109 titles and MPEG4-AVC (h.264) does 291 titles for that timeframe.

MPEG2 only has 13 titles or so released over the years.
That makes it an interesting 3/4 ratio for MPEG4-AVC and 1/4 ratio for VC-1.

Wonder where it will go....
woutje76 Wrote:http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/search.php...ion=search

So for 2009-2011 VC-1 does 109 titles and MPEG4-AVC (h.264) does 291 titles for that timeframe.

MPEG2 only has 13 titles or so released over the years.
That makes it an interesting 3/4 ratio for MPEG4-AVC and 1/4 ratio for VC-1.

Wonder where it will go....

Your numbers are a bit skewed, why don't we make it fair and compare all region a releases, for all studios, for all time, grouped by codec?

MPEG-2: 292 releases, or 11%

MPEG-4 AVC: 1625 releases, or 62%

VC-1: 706 releases, or 27%

That's a bit more accurate, AVC is DEMOLISHING the other two format. Sadly though, they must all be treated equally if you want to have consistent playback ability when dealing with Hardware assisted decoding.
Thanks for the numbers guys.

I really hope so see VC-1 support with Apple's VDADecoder, but I can't think of a reason why Apple would do it.

As long as official Blu-ray support is a no on the Mac there's no reason for them to code it, I guess.
Philmatic Wrote:Your numbers are a bit skewed, why don't we make it fair and compare all region a releases, for all studios, for all time, grouped by codec?

That's a bit more accurate, AVC is DEMOLISHING the other two format. Sadly though, they must all be treated equally if you want to have consistent playback ability when dealing with Hardware assisted decoding.

Ah....didn't have time for it to figure it out how to get those numbers...Smile

Thanks for doing it bro !
Philmatic Wrote:Your numbers are a bit skewed, why don't we make it fair and compare all region a releases, for all studios, for all time, grouped by codec?

Interesting numbers. Im willing to bet the vast majority of users watching 1080p and using xbmc for playback are getting their movies through unofficial channels and that all their movies are supported by Davillas (and Ryans if im not mistaken) recent work here. The 5% (my guesstimate) who still find their macs lacking juice due to content have the crystalhd option.
Ayla Wrote:I really hope so see VC-1 support with Apple's VDADecoder, but I can't think of a reason why Apple would do it.

As long as official Blu-ray support is a no on the Mac there's no reason for them to code it, I guess.

IMHO, Apple is standing for H264/AVC, while VC1 is a little-bit come from their enemy in media format war (Microsoft). And I believe Apple think MPEG2 is a past.

So, It's another wonder if they will support the other format
Ayla Wrote:That was fast davilla, thanks!

Could someone try and play the same video in Plex and XBMC and compare CPU usage, that would be interesting?

I will do it myself this weekend, if someone doesn't try it before me Smile

Ive done some unscientific tests and xbmc seems to perform better cpu vise. Having said that, neither have any problems playing anything ive thrown at them.
Now that this has been out for a bit, how about some feedback.

For example, if you have any h.264 video files that have problems, I'd like a pastebin of the MediaInfo output. I'm interested in 1) container (mkv, mt2s, avi, etc), 2) h.264 profile, 3) h.264 level and 4) number of reference frames.
RckStr Wrote:Ive done some unscientific tests and xbmc seems to perform better cpu vise. Having said that, neither have any problems playing anything ive thrown at them.

Hehe, thanks. I did initially start a standalone test-harness then merged with their implementation and quickly tossed that code into the mix-master. Ended up re-writing just about all of their bits as there were several things wrong with mutex locking, dts/pts handling and other parts.

Locking the picture frame queue mutex while doing a time consuming operation like copying out the picture frame data is a sure way to stall VDADecoder.
davilla Wrote:Hehe, thanks. I did initially start a standalone test-harness then merged with their implementation and quickly tossed that code into the mix-master. Ended up re-writing just about all of their bits as there were several things wrong with mutex locking, dts/pts handling and other parts.

Locking the picture frame queue mutex while doing a time consuming operation like copying out the picture frame data is a sure way to stall VDADecoder.

Please only use English on this board davilla.

Thank you.

Laugh
MBP 17" late 2009
running latest XBMC playing Earth 1080p this release maxed out 32Mbit at the bird scene and XBMC plays it at 17-19% CPU

Tongue
MBP late 2009 - TimeCapsule 2TB - Harmony One+ - Readynas NV+ 8TB RAID5 - Mac Mini late 2009 with 10.9.0 and VDA - Panasonic TX-PG420ES -
idioteque Wrote:MBP 17" late 2009
running latest XBMC playing Earth 1080p this release maxed out 32Mbit at the bird scene and XBMC plays it at 17-19% CPU

Tongue

Can you pastebin the MediaInfo output for that, my mkv snipit of "killa" does not open and I'd like to see what's different. Thx.
Its interesting to notice how extremely much more powerful xbmc just became with this release. I ripped "santa buddies" for my daughter so she could have it in her native language. Its got insane bitrate, usually between 40 and 45. It used to play at 13-15 fps so needles to say, it was playing jerky as hell. Now it plays flawless at about 50% (xbmc reported) cpu on the 2 ghz mini (weakest 9400 model ever made if im not mistaken)

I also went through all of my norwegian bluray remuxes to check for format. Now ive only ripped childrens movies, mostly by disney and dreamworks and Im happy to report that by those studios, everything Ive come across is h264.

I have also tested tons of scene releases, and so far every single one benefit from this aswell.

XBMC - making old shitty hardware perform as new
davilla Wrote:Can you pastebin the MediaInfo output for that, my mkv snipit of "killa" does not open and I'd like to see what's different. Thx.

FILENAME:Earth 2007 1080p BluRay x264 [email protected]

*** MediaInfo Mac // Plain text file report
2010-05-05 11:51:09 +0200
Information for File: Earth 2007 1080p BluRay x264 [email protected]

General / Container Stream # 1
Total Video Streams for this File -> 1
Total Audio Streams for this File -> 1
Video Codecs Used -> AVC
Audio Codecs Used -> DTS
File Format -> Matroska
Play Time -> 1h 30mn
Total File Size -> 7.96 GiB
Total Stream BitRate -> 12.7 Mbps EDIT IDIOTEQUE (PEAK 32Mbit)
Encoded with -> mkvmerge v2.9.8 ('C'est le bon') built on Aug 13 2009 12:49:06
Encoding Library -> libebml v0.7.7 + libmatroska v0.8.1
Video Stream # 1
Codec (Human Name) -> AVC
Codec (FourCC) -> V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Codec Profile -> [email protected]
Frame Width -> 1 920 pixels
Frame Height -> 1 080 pixels
Frame Rate -> 23.976 fps
Total Frames -> 129504
Display Aspect Ratio -> 16/9
Scan Type -> Progressive
Colorimetry -> 4:2:0
Codec Settings (Summary) -> CABAC / 4 Ref Frames
QF (like Gordian Knot) -> 0.234
Codec Settings (CABAC) -> Yes
Video Stream Length -> 1h 29mn 56s 0ms
Video Stream BitRate -> 11.6 Mbps
Video Stream BitRate (Nominal) -> 11.9 Mbps
Bit Depth -> 24 bits
Video Stream Size -> 7.32 GiB (92%)
Video Encoder -> x264 - core 68 r1183M f21daff
Video Encoder (Settings) -> cabac=1 / ref=4 / deblock=1:-2:-2 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=9 / psy_rd=1.0:0.0 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=32 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=12 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / bframes=4 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / wpredb=1 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / rc=2pass / bitrate=11900 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / vbv_maxrate=50000 / vbv_bufsize=50000 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=1:1.00
Video Stream Language -> English
Audio Stream # 1
Codec -> DTS
Codec (FourCC) -> A_DTS
Audio Stream Length -> 1h 30mn 1s 398ms
Audio Stream BitRate -> 754 Kbps
Audio Stream BitRate Mode -> CBR
Number of Audio Channels -> 6
Audio Channel's Positions -> Front: L C R, Surround: L R, LFE
Sampling Rate -> 48.0 KHz
Bit Depth -> 24 bits
Audio Stream Size -> 486 MiB (6%)
Audio Stream Title -> English DTS
Audio Stream Language -> English
MBP late 2009 - TimeCapsule 2TB - Harmony One+ - Readynas NV+ 8TB RAID5 - Mac Mini late 2009 with 10.9.0 and VDA - Panasonic TX-PG420ES -
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
GPU video acceleration made possible by Apple?0