Top Bar Stuck During Playback
I just noticed that my hp remote has different buttons than the one shown in the wiki. Zoom is Slide Show, Guide is Aspect, Snapshot is DVD Menu, etc. Dammit. I will definitely follow your advice on CreateTestConfig and see where that takes me. Thanks, XBMC is much more usable than it was because of your help.

edit: Using createtestconfig and showkey I've found that eject is sending ctrl-q and aspect is sending ctrl d. How would would I go about figuring out their button numbers and configuring them?
GrapeApe Wrote:edit: Using createtestconfig and showkey I've found that eject is sending ctrl-q and aspect is sending ctrl d. How would would I go about figuring out their button numbers and configuring them?

The relevant bits of CreateTestConfig.reg are:

27,00,00,00,04,01,07,\ ; ctrl-D
34,00,00,00,04,01,14,\ ; ctrl-Q

so ctrl-D is being sent by button 27 and ctrl-Q by button 34. So just add the above two lines to Remote-XBMC.reg, then edit them to send whatever keystrokes you want and modify keyboard.xml accordingly.

JR
Question 
I added the lines and configured them to send z for aspect and w for nextsubtitle. After editing the xml to correspond, re-registering and rebooting...no luck. They're still sending ctrl-q and ctrl-d. Also, I edited xbmc.reg to make the record button send l for audionextlanguage without success.

I entered the two lines in to the reg file one after the other between buttons 26 and 48 like this:

27,00,00,00,04,01,07,\ ; Eject - sends W
34,00,00,00,04,01,14,\ ; Aspect - sends Z

Should I have entered them at the bottom? Should I be doing any editing to the remote.xml file?
GrapeApe Wrote:I entered the two lines in to the reg file one after the other between buttons 26 and 48 like this:

27,00,00,00,04,01,07,\ ; Eject - sends W
34,00,00,00,04,01,14,\ ; Aspect - sends Z

Unless this is a typo you've just copied the lines from CreateTestConfig.reg, so you're sending ctrl-D and ctrl-Q. You need to modify the lines to be:

27,00,00,00,04,00,1A,\ ; Eject - sends W
34,00,00,00,04,00,1D,\ ; Aspect - sends Z

I don't think it matters what order you put the lines in, though I always keep them in numerical order as it makes it easier to look through the file.

JR
Question 
This worked like a charm, but how would I know to edit the ends of the lines like you so expertly did? I'm working on making the record button send L for audionextlanguage, and I know I'm overlooking something.

createtestconfig line: 0B,00,00,00,04,00,0F,\ ; L
remote-xbmc line: 17,00,00,00,04,01,15,\ ; record - was "01,b2,00" sends L
GrapeApe Wrote:This worked like a charm, but how would I know to edit the ends of the lines like you so expertly did? I'm working on making the record button send L for audionextlanguage, and I know I'm overlooking something.

createtestconfig line: 0B,00,00,00,04,00,0F,\ ; L
remote-xbmc line: 17,00,00,00,04,01,15,\ ; record - was "01,b2,00" sends L

Assuming you downloaded mceremote.zip, in the ReadMe.txt is a section titled "The boring details" that explains how to edit the .reg file. There's a lot of detail there, but the key points are:

- anything after the semicolon is a comment. It's only the seven numbers that need changing (though might want to edit the comment after the semcolon to remind you what you did)

- usually only the last two numbers need to be changed

- the last but one number specifies the modifier: 1 = control, 2 = shift, 3 = control shift

- the last number specified which key is pressed. Look at the second column in translate.pdf to get the number correcponding to the key you want.

So suppose you want to modify the record button to send L. The record button is number 17 (ReadMe.txt or the comments in the .reg files tell you this) and looking in translate.pdf the code for "L" is 0F. If you don't want control or shift the second from last number is 00, so the entry is:

17,00,00,00,04,00,0F,\ ; add a comment here

If you look at the original line from xbmc.reg:

^ ^
| |_____ 15 is R
|_______ 01 means control

so this line sends control-R, which is the keyboard shortcut for "record" used by the Windows media Center.

JR
Question 
Thanks, worked perfectly. My transition is pretty much complete, I was just wondering about two other small issues:

Is there any way to configure how mouse clicks affect XBMC? When I try to use right click to go back it takes me all the way to the home screen.

There are a number of removable disks cluttering my file list (usb ports I guess), is there any way to get rid of them?
How would I go about switching the Green Button back to it's original operation? I recently found a program that replaces the "eshell.exe" and launches XBMC like that. It works better for me because it also activates the XBMC window and brings it front and center.

My problem is I changed the registry with the regedit and don't know how to manually change it back.
brj8826 Wrote:How would I go about switching the Green Button back to it's original operation? I recently found a program that replaces the "eshell.exe" and launches XBMC like that. It works better for me because it also activates the XBMC window and brings it front and center.

My problem is I changed the registry with the regedit and don't know how to manually change it back.

Assuming you used Remote-XBMC.reg, open the file in Notepad. Now find and delete the line:

0d,00,00,00,04,03,1b,\ ; Windows - sends ctrl-shift-X

and save the file. Double-click the modified Remote-XBMC.reg and reboot and the green button will be back to the default setting.

JR

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Top Bar Stuck During Playback0