RAW image issue (Sony ARW)
Hi.

XBMC 9.11.0.0 released for Windows here.

I can't see any raw image from my Sony Alpha camera, XBMC crashes. I tried the forum (silence thus far, it's an old thread to be fair) and the trac (apparently the RAW issue was fixed about 1 year ago).

I'd like to add that DCRaw for Windows opens my files just fine, as do the native Sony apps and plugins and 3rd party apps.

* On W7x64 Pro, it crashes as soon as I click on an image. When navigating over them, no thumb/preview.

* On same W7x64, with debugging ON from UI it crashes as soon as I hover over the first image (but does list them)

* On XP SP2 OEM, it actually opens the file (it's all a black screen), and if I tap left or right on keyboard it clicks (but still black screen). Hitting backspace or RMB crashes it.

XBMC.log is of little use. It says
00:29:28 T:3540 M:2286792704 INFO: Creating thumb from: D:\Images\Personal\Scorpio\V4.1\DSC05821.ARW as: special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/Pictures/6/6531961f.tbn
00:29:28 T:3540 M:2236571648 DEBUG: msg: PICTURE::CreateThumbnail: Unable to open image: D:\Images\Personal\Scorpio\V4.1\DSC05821.ARW
00:29:28 T:3540 M:2236428288 ERROR: CPicture::CreateThumbnail: Unable to create thumbfile special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/Pictures/6/6531961f.tbn from image D:\Images\Personal\Scorpio\V4.1\DSC05821.ARW

Then as soon as I click it, slience. Nothing else is logged (sometimes it gets to logging the click event, one more line), Windows intervenes and claims (STATUS_INVALID_CRUNTIME_PARAMETER):

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BEX
Application Name: XBMC.exe
Application Version: 9.11.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4b32ade0
Fault Module Name: XBMC.exe
Fault Module Version: 9.11.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4b32ade0
Exception Offset: 004ff716
Exception Code: c0000417
Exception Data: 00000000
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48

--------------------------

Is this a bug, known bug, should it work? I saw people claiming other RAW files work fine.

If they work for you, what version of Windows and what additional software was installed?

TIA.
Still there in r28256. Nobody has a clue?
Provide a sample file.
OK. I can't attach yet, (too young?), so I uploaded two samples:

Sony ARW 1.1, Original, as shot, 10 MPx
ARW 1.1

Sony ARW 2.0, converted, 10 MPx
ARW 2.0

The ARW 1.1 is standard is most cameras from Sony, and is fully supported by Sony software and the thumbnailer they provide. Also successfully tested with DCRAW for quite a while now.

The ARW 2.0 is embedded in the newest cameras, and only supported by the viewer application - the thumbnailer freezes Explorer. Not tested with DCRAW yet. Not widespread.

I suggest you test with ARW 1.1 only for now.

Image shot by me and free in every sense except credit.
So what do you play these files with? Windows Media Player, VLC, ffplay, and XBMC don't play these. In order to get support for these types of file you can try over at the ffmpeg site. Since XBMC uses ffmpeg, unless ffmpeg plays it XBMC never will. You could maybe try with the DSPlayer build. That uses other codecs.
I thought XBMC used CXImage, and CXImage has ARW listed since 2008 or so. Also, I understand DCRaw uses the same library on both Linux and Windows and I've tested it to do so under both platforms.

Otherwise, is it possible to build some sort of decoder (external executable) that could decode to a temporary file? I'm thinking DCRaw or a derivative could be used to support the bulk of raw formats. Especially since the Windows build of DCRaw is available as native standalone executable rather than the older cygwin port.
Ahhh, my mistake completely. For some reason I was thinking this was a raw video file from a sony camera. I realize you said "image" right in the title but there are a lo of people who's english isn't their first language so I took it as a video image in m head. I really don't know much about the photo aspect. Just ignore my whole post. Sorry about that.
No, Sony IIRC records in MPEG4/AVC across the DSLR board.

So, nobody has any idea why Nikon and Canon RAW works but Sony doesn't through the same library?

Also, there's another weird thing:

If I add a CR2 and a NEF (Nikon/Canon raw) to the folder, XBMC no longer crashes. Instead, the two formats work but the Nikon and Canon display and the Sony is black. No preview image is available, but I can eneter and exit the viewer at will.

Having only ARWs in a folder will crash it.

Should I be in the support area with a ticket?
Yes please open a ticket. yes we use dcraw in version 8.91. 8.99 seems to be the newest out so maybe this is the culprit?

Edit: Seems that we're using libdcr and 8.91 is the newest there.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
WiSo Wrote:Yes please open a ticket. yes we use dcraw in version 8.91. 8.99 seems to be the newest out so maybe this is the culprit?

Since theres been a lot of changes to the Canon RAW format lately - it seems like DCraw needs to be updated to support the Canon 550D.

Don't you think DCraw will be up to date when the next version of XBMC arrives?
As said CXImage which we are using works with libdcr which is a port of dcraw.
Maybe ask the developers of CXImage if they will update their port.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
WiSo Wrote:Yes please open a ticket. yes we use dcraw in version 8.91. 8.99 seems to be the newest out so maybe this is the culprit?

I did open one ticket, thanks.

Also, I don't really understand what the version issue is. I am an old coder, but I don't write in C so the library naming is new to me.

The way it looks to me, ARW format has been supported in DCRaw for quite a while now (Aug 2006, Alpha 100 launched July 2006). By now, all libraries should be able to support the format. The oldest source of CXImage Google could find is June 2009, over a year old, publishing DCR_CLASS dcr_sony_load_raw.

I don't think it's a latest version issue. But, like I said, I don't really write C so there could be dependencies I missed.
Hate to resurrect a 3 year old topic but it seems Sony .ARW files are still not recognized by XBMC. Tested on 12.2 as well as the latest Gotham nightly build.

Any suggestions?
(2013-09-04, 12:30)Morbeas Wrote: Hate to resurrect a 3 year old topic but it seems Sony .ARW files are still not recognized by XBMC. Tested on 12.2 as well as the latest Gotham nightly build.

Any suggestions?

See this newer topic:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=157742

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
RAW image issue (Sony ARW)0