Should i use Windows?
drmike Wrote:The 1080p files I play are h.264/mpeg-4, 6-10GB files.

CPU usage is only 5-10% (so no point trying the other CPU), which indicates DXVA is working fine.

The issue was minor, and the movie was still watchable (just very annoying), it was just a 20-30% frame rate drop and only lasted about 10-15 seconds, I found the cuplrit was in fact just windows being it's usual self and running things I don't want without my permission (which I thought I had disabled), so my previous comment regarding the system not playing 1080p content perfectly should be stricken from the record, as it appears to work fine now.

What things did you disable? As I have the odd stuttering, like you said its watchable buy annoying.

Cheers.
Mostly just things I must have forgotten to disable last time I reformatted, like windows update etc.
I also had an anti-virus running which was pointless, so I got rid of that too.
nowayman Wrote:First of all i apologize for my bad language, but im trying my best. Im new on this forum so this is my first thread.

I've read alot of treads about Zotac Ion and so on, and it seems to me that everybody are using Linux? But why is that? I've installed Windows 7 on mine, but it cant play "True HD". Does that have anything to do with the OS?

This is my media center:
- Zotac ION F N330
- Kingston HyperX 4 GB 800MHz CL5
- Windows 7 Ultimate x64

I would rather ask the opposite, why use Windows when you can use Linux. Smile

Buy a cheap HTPC and then buy a os licens that cost half of what the entire htpc cost, is something i don't get. Smile
kuseman Wrote:I would rather ask the opposite, why use Windows when you can use Linux. Smile

Buy a cheap HTPC and then buy a os licens that cost half of what the entire htpc cost, is something i don't get. Smile

yeah and everyone understands this, how ever a lot of people like me cant get their heads around it!, iv tried 9.10 and 10.4 but its all the command lines that i cant get, took me 3 days to figure out how to install xbmc but i was branded with windows from a very young age Sad and im now to old and lazy to learn a whole new O/S
My main deal with using linux is that getting wireless drivers can be more challenging and the same goes with configuring remotes with crazy keys. Like when a button on the remote does a right mouse click but you want it to emulate the letter "i". Same thing with mapping the "windows" key. It didnt take me too long to get that working on windows, but I never really figured it out within linux. So for me its not the XBMC software, it's all the little things os wise.
It's working now! Thanks alot!! Smile Smile Smile To all of you

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Should i use Windows?0