[How To] Mininmal Install Lucid - pvr-testing2 with VDR VNSI plugin & VDPAU support
I was playing around yesterday trying to get the VNSI plugin on XBMC with pvr-testing2 branch.
Here's how i got mine going on 32 bit.

Download Ubuntu 10.04 "Lucid Lynx" Minimal CD 32 bit
And install

I've made a bash script that will do all this for you
Setup Script
Just
Code:
sudo chmod 777 setup.sh
then run with
Code:
sudo ./setup.sh

or do it manually

Update
Code:
sudo aptitude update

Run this first in the terminal
Code:
sudo apt-get install python-software-properties pkg-config -y

Add the sources to apt
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yavdr/stable-vdr
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:henningpingel/xbmc
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nvidia-vdpau/ppa

Now update
Code:
sudo aptitude update

Install XBMC
Code:
sudo apt-get install xbmc xinit x11-xserver-utils -y

Install Nvidia Drivers
Code:
sudo aptitude install linux-headers-`uname -r` libvdpau-dev libvdpau1 nvidia-185-kernel-source nvidia-185-modaliases nvidia-glx-185 nvidia-settings -y

Reboot
Code:
sudo reboot

Add the XBMC user to the required groups:
Code:
sudo usermod --group audio,video,fuse,cdrom,plugdev xbmc

Install XBMCLIVE
Code:
sudo apt-get install xbmc-live -y

Install Alsa & setup
Code:
sudo apt-get install linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils
sudo reboot

achieve judder free perfectly synced playback
Code:
sudo apt-get install curl
curl "http://pastebin.com/download.php?i=bU1QFQ3c" | tr -d \\r > nvidia.sh
sh nvidia.sh

Set alsamixer to levels you want
Code:
sudo alsamixer
Adjust the channels you are interested in. Press ESC to exit out of the mixer.

Save the volumes of Alsamixer
Code:
sudo alsactl store 0

Add automount of usb devices
Code:
sudo apt-get install ivman

Install VDR & VNSI plugin
Code:
sudo aptitude install vdr vdr-plugin-vnsiserver -y

Scan for channels, i've found that w-scan takes longer but being in Australia (not sure about elsewhere) the EPG scans better, with dvb-apps the epg didn't work properly
Option 1.
Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/vdr stop
sudo apt-get install dvb-apps
scan -x 0 -o vdr -a 0 /usr/share/dvb/dvb-t/[b]uk-RidgeHill[/b] > /etc/vdr/channels.conf
sudo /etc/init.d/vdr start
change the bold bits to your country code and city
Option 2.
Code:
sudo apt-get install w-scan
sudo chmod 777 /etc/vdr/channels.conf
w_scan -ft -c [b]AU[/b] -o7 >> /etc/vdr/channels.conf
change the bold to your country code

To change where vdr records to
Code:
sudo nano /etc/default/vdr
at the bottom type this in
Code:
VIDEO_DIR="/media/media/vdr"
and change it to your liking
then CTL+X then Y and ENTER to save
Code:

Turn off auto shutdown of VDR
Code:
sudo nano /etc/vdr/setup.conf
change MinUserInactivity to 0
then CTL+X then Y and ENTER to save
Code:

All I need to do is get the splash screen

If anyone can help with this please let me know.
Press THANK USER if I Help
Hi,

Just to add some general background information, since I am one of the maintainers of these PPAs:

What is the purpose of these PPAs? What is yaVDR?

The PPAs with Lucid packages at http://ppa.launchpad.net/~yavdr/ are maintained by the yaVDR team, formerly known as "the-vdr-team" on Launchpad.

It's the same people behind those two names, but we have now reorganized our PPAs for Ubuntu Lucid to have a better, less chaotic structure (compared to our karmic PPAs at https://launchpad.net/~the-vdr-team).

yaVDR is the name of our easy-to-install Ubuntu distribution for VDR+XBMC+VDPAU. You can install Ubuntu+VDR+XBMC on a ION based HTPC quickly using our yaVDR 0.1.1 ISO image.

We are currently working on yaVDR 0.2 which is based on Ubuntu Lucid.

For more information, please check http://www.yavdr.org

Cheers,
hepi
yaVDR: HDTV and XBMC in your living room - based on Nvidia VDPAU, VDR and Ubuntu Linux
Hello Hepi:

Glad to see you here. I'm starving for the new release of yaVDR.

Our group is working in a project based in AVANTGARDE and XBMC, and we are using your PPAs. Before continue and after release something we'll contact to you for your approval.

Thanks and take care:
Marky.
Hey hepi maybe you can help me, i've tried karmic and lucid with the pvr-branch but i can't seem to get the epg working properly. I've also tried installing the plugin with no luck, it always gets 5 or so channels but not the rest
@Marky: Interesting, do you have a URL for your project?
EDIT: Oops, I know it already: http://www.vdr-portal.de/board/thread.php?postid=899364

@AuXBoX: Sorry, can't help you. You might want to ask your question on www.vdr-portal.de (in English), but please describe your problem more detailed.

Cheers,
hepi
yaVDR: HDTV and XBMC in your living room - based on Nvidia VDPAU, VDR and Ubuntu Linux
Hi, just a short question: is there any special reason why you are using nvidia-185 series drivers and not nvidia-current?

Thx!
skillshot Wrote:Hi, just a short question: is there any special reason why you are using nvidia-185 series drivers and not nvidia-current?

Thx!
Can you please specify where you read "nvidia-185 series"? Are you talking about yaVDR 0.1.1 karmic?
Sorry, i was refering to the original post:

Code:
sudo aptitude install linux-headers-`uname -r` libvdpau-dev libvdpau1 nvidia-185-kernel-source nvidia-185-modaliases nvidia-glx-185 nvidia-settings pkg-config

not to yavdr's install iso.

I'm using custom builds of pvr-testing2 for a while using 195er driver series without any problems, so i just asked ...

Can't wait to get my hands on yaVDR 0.2 ... sounds very promising with S3-standby and wake on rtc.

Did you already find a solution to prevent timer shutdown if xbmc is in use (watching a movie from HD, not VDR) ... ?
In Lucid, Nvidia 185 packages are transitional packages. I think it just installs nvidia current, so it does no harm, but on the other hand it's confusing not to use nvidia current.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/source/lucid/...cs-drivers
skillshot Wrote:Can't wait to get my hands on yaVDR 0.2 ... sounds very promising with S3-standby and wake on rtc.

Did you already find a solution to prevent timer shutdown if xbmc is in use (watching a movie from HD, not VDR) ... ?

S3-standby for Lucid is currently being worked on by the yaVDR team. For quite a while, we had big trouble with S3 on Lucid compared to Karmic, but I think, today our upstart experts have solved some of the biggest issues.

Since XBMC-PVR-Testing is still a development branch, the support for XBMC-PVR-Testing as a default frontend in yaVDR while remain experimental for a while. We are in contact with alwinus (aka pingpong) about the shutdown questions, but we don't want to annoy him - since he is "da man" behind the VDR-XBMC-PVR-backend and we know that he's got lot's of stuff to work on.

Cheers,
hepi
Is there any plymouth xbmc splash screens available?
im also stuck on both the splash screen and power management
thank you
mmaura Wrote:thank you

No Problems mmaura
Smile 
Hi all, first post here after having decided to switch from Mythtv to XBMC, due to both stability issues and bad feedback from developers. I'm really interested in the YAVDR project and would like to convert my htpc setup to it. I have only a question before starting: is sasc support (to use legitimate smartcard and see paytv) currently working here? I've seen some posts about a sasc vdr plugin, but nothing specific to yavdr (I mean xbmc interface to vdr).
Thanks for any help

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[How To] Mininmal Install Lucid - pvr-testing2 with VDR VNSI plugin & VDPAU support0