Could use info about unRAID
So, in another thread I made a comment about wanting to use WHS for my new NAS. However, after re-reading the thread and doing some research on my own, I think that unRAID sounds like a good solution for me. It'll cost me more, since I can't get a really cheap copy of unRAID like I can with WHS, but I can handle that. However, I could use some information from the experts around here.

First off, I've been playing with a copy of 5.0 beta 2 in a VirtualBox install, so I've got a decent idea of how easy it is to use. I've heard that there are addons and such that you can use, to make it better. How does one go about installing them? Is there some sort of addon browser, or do I need to go to a website, download them, and then put them onto the flash drive that I install unRAID onto? Is the process simple?

Secondly, how does one go about setting up things to be seen as one large share? I understand that unRAID will split things up between the hard drives, and it displays them as separate drives currently when I view it over the network. So, how do I go about creating this share? Is there a better way to do things? If so, would you mind explaining? Ideally, I'd really like to just navigate to \\Tower\ and have a single folder, perhaps called Files, that would span across all the drives.

Finally, any recommended tweaks, addons, etc, to make the experience even better?

I've got a basic understanding of how to do things with unRAID, but I'd really like some recommendations from experienced users. I'm trying my best to figure things out, but I'd really rather not screw something up from the start that could result in my losing all of my data.

Thanks!

EDIT: Oh, and for the record, I'd like to apologize if I came across a bit rude in the other thread. That wasn't my intention. I did, and still do, think it's a bit crazy that unRAID charges you to allow you to add more hard drives, but it seems like a good solution none-the-less. I apologize if anyone was offended by my comment.

EDIT2: Ah ha, remembered my last question! Is there any way to run SABnzbd and SickBeard easily on unRAID? One of the big reasons I wanted to use Windows Home Server was due to the fact that I could move those off my HTPC and onto the server.
I can pretty much confirm what you already suspect about unRAID.

Best way to get it cheaper is to partner with a friend and go for a 2-pack license.

There is an add-on call unMenu which comes with a package installer. You click and it downloads automatically. I'm very new to linux and I can confirm this is easy stuff. Plenty of info on their forums.

The main feature in unraid is the User Share which are Virtual Folders than span across all drives (this can be customised if needed). Free space is available to all shares. You can access them like //Tower/movies or //Tower/music.

Shares are created from within the web interface, dead easy. Even if you change your mind, risk of loosing data is minimal. You also have access to each disk individually to browse it's content if you want to like //Tower/disk3.

I use the basics such as scripts to cache the directory structure for offline browsing, unMenu with a great set of utilities and also some power management script which shuts it down in case of power loss and UPSs batteries are running low.

There are addons for SAB, sickbeard etc. although I use a separate machine for them.

Their wiki is very well documented with procedures for pretty much every scenario. Forum is great with a few very knowledgeable "Hero Members" ready to help.
I also use UnMenu to install and run My SQL to sync my HTPCs, and to install SSH for syncing.

As far as sick and sab:

http://www.lockstockmods.net/2010/06/03/...sickbeard/

Pretty easy actually.

Great info so far, thanks!

My only issue right now is that I seem to be fundamentally retarded or something. I, for the life of me, cannot figure out how to configure a user share. No matter what I seem to do it never appears in the list, and I can't access it. Can someone help me out with it? I tried following the wiki, and learned what a split level is at least, but I just can't get the darn thing to work. I want to get this working in my VM before I plonk down the money on it and spend all kinds of time getting it set up. I much prefer to screw up my VM than my 3TB of files that I need to get onto a machine with more space.

EDIT: It appears that I'm not as dumb as I thought. Apparently there's a bug where, when running the latest 5.0 beta in VMWare/VirtualBox, User Shares don't appear under the tabs. However, a quick reboot of the machine and I'm able to access the share. Yay!

Now all I need to do is find this SAB/SickBeard/CouchPotato combination addon that I saw mentioned on the unRAID forums, and figure out how to install that. If I can do that then I think it's time to get some parts ordered and get rolling on this.
Not too much help here at this moment other than a huge +1 for unRAID. (I'm running latest stable version though, not the beta so I'm no help there). Works wonders for me. Let me know if you need any help setting it up as I have all the bells and whistles for getting it working properly with XBMC. Reccommended addons are unMenu, mySQL, SSH, Sickbeard, CouchPotato, SAB, cache_folders (probably more too that I don't remember).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Could use info about unRAID0