FNG About to pull his hair out... lol
@Albranov
Do you still have songs linked under the incorrectly spelled artist name? If not, Clean Library should detect and remove those orphaned artists.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
kraqh3d Wrote:@Albranov
Do you still have songs linked under the incorrectly spelled artist name? If not, Clean Library should detect and remove those orphaned artists.

Hi kraqh3d,
Thank you for a quick reply. When I tried YAMJ and UMC some time ago I did not get replies the same quickly.
I do have several albums linked under the incorrectly spelled artist name. I guess the library picked up several albums under ARTIST name, then I updated tags for Artist, rescanned it and now have one "album1" linked to ARTIST, and "album1", "album2" and "album3" linked to Artist. In other words the same "album1" is linked to both ARTIST and Artist. I could not figure out how to get rid of the incorrectly spelled artist name with the linked albums. Please advise.
Thanks, Alex
Open a trac ticket with the details. I understand why Clean Library isn't working. It's recursive. It first cleans up the songs. Then it looks for orphaned albums with no songs linked. It then looks for orphaned artists that have no songs OR albums linked. Your incorrect "ARTIST" is linked to a valid album entry so its not removed.

You're going to have to force all the songs to be removed and rescan. You can delete the source, and Xbmc will ask if you want to remove the LIbrary items. Say yes. Then add the source back and scan. Or if you can target the exact folders where the incorrectly tagged file where located and change the folder name, it'll correct itself on an update.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
I'm not sure how an Album can stay linked to an incorrect artist - the album artists are after all derived from the song tags. Assuming the song tags were updated, then the album would have been removed, and thus the artist would also be removed.

What am I missing?

jmarshall Wrote:I'm not sure how an Album can stay linked to an incorrect artist - the album artists are after all derived from the song tags. Assuming the song tags were updated, then the album would have been removed, and thus the artist would also be removed.

What am I missing?

Hi kraqh3d & Jonathan,
I checked tags for all albums and bands in question in MediaMonkey and got an answer/solution. The incorrect artist was triggered by an incorrect entry in AlbumArtist field. In the Artist field I had "Artist", in AlbumArtist I had "ARTIST". Somehow XBMC returned both bands - "Artist" and "ARTIST". The funny thing is XBMC showed the same album for both "Artist" and "ARTIST". MediaMonkey has this album only once. The bottom line the moment I changed "ARTIST" to "Artist" for one particular album, and updated library in XBMC, everything was back to normal. The lesson learned - the "AlbumArtist" field must be accurate (I never paid attention to this field before XBMC).
Thank you guys.
Another query. Is there any plans to have fields in Music Library to reflect band's line-up, similar to "Cast" in movies? It would allow user to navigate between bands where the artist in question participated.
One more question. Is there any way to distinguish studio albums from compilations and live albums?
I really like XBMC and I have YAMJ, UMC and some other jukeboxes to compare with. Finally I can spend time on optimizing my music library instead of endless hours/days fixing shares, mounts and other things that "would be fixed in the next build".
Thanks again, Alex
Excellent! I was thinking about this last night and came to the conclusion that Xbmc should have removed the incorrect artist UNLESS you had mismatching Artist and AlbumArtist tags like drek. As jmarshall pointed out, if you had no songs linked against the incorrect artist name anymore, that artist name would be orphaned and removed.

Quote:Is there any way to distinguish studio albums from compilations and live albums?

Xbmc should detect compilations and mark them with "Various Artists" as the artist. They fall under a Compilations node off the root of the music library. And under "Various Artists" when browsing the Artist node. Alternatively, you can choose whether or not to have them displayed under each individual Artist or not.

The criteria is here:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Pre...le_Artists

Xbmc cannot distinguish a live album. You would need to tag it as such in the title tag. The typical convention is to append [LIVE] to the title. If you had this, you could then use a smart playlist to find all albums containing [LIVE].
kraqh3d Wrote:Excellent! I was thinking about this last night and came to the conclusion that Xbmc should have removed the incorrect artist UNLESS you had mismatching Artist and AlbumArtist tags like drek. As jmarshall pointed out, if you had no songs linked against the incorrect artist name anymore, that artist name would be orphaned and removed.

Xbmc should detect compilations and mark them with "Various Artists" as the artist. They fall under a Compilations node off the root of the music library. And under "Various Artists" when browsing the Artist node. Alternatively, you can choose whether or not to have them displayed under each individual Artist or not.

The criteria is here:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Pre...le_Artists

Xbmc cannot distinguish a live album. You would need to tag it as such in the title tag. The typical convention is to append [LIVE] to the title. If you had this, you could then use a smart playlist to find all albums containing [LIVE].

Thanks!
How about compilations of the same band?
My approach - I concentrate on studio full-length albums, others (compilations of the same artist and live albums) are not really important. What is important is the way they are shown in Music Library. What ever the sorting order is - studio, compilations and live albums are all mixed up. I would like to see studio albums sorted separately by either year or number. Year is OK but in some cases bands release several albums per year. A good example is Uriah Heep in the 70s. Another option is to assign an album number and sort them by this number. Some bands do it: Led Zeppelin III, Foreigner 4... Maybe there is a way to specify the sorting order in NFO file? But just imagine 1000 bands, 1000 nfo files. Should be a way.
Thanks again for a prompt reply. Now after one week of trying I understand why they say that XBMC is the best media management application. Alex
Quote:How about compilations of the same band?
You mean like a "Greatest Hits" album? Those are not considered a compilation by Xbmc. You'll need to tag them accordingly.

Quote:I would like to see studio albums sorted separately by either year or number. Year is OK but in some cases bands release several albums per year. ... Maybe there is a way to specify the sorting order in NFO file? But just imagine 1000 bands, 1000 nfo files. Should be a way.

Sorry but none this is really possible. Xbmc does not distinguish Greatest Hits, from Studio, from Live albums in anyway. All you can do is play with the title tag to denote them. And then you are bound by the possible sort options, which cannot be changed via an .nfo file.

And the sorting is somewhat multi-dimensional, but not configurable. When sorting by year, if there are albums in the same year, those would be sorted by title in alphanumeric order.
I personally tag Live as a genre.

Just wanted to touch base and say thanks kraqh3d for the help. The issue was related to the ENSEMBLE tag. Resolution was to wipe all the tags from each file and then re-tag accordingly.
jmarshall Wrote:I personally tag Live as a genre.

Hi Jonathan,
Using Genre tag for non-genre information is an interesting idea. But when you sort files by name it is all mixed up...
Has anybody seen the Helium music manager (http://www.helium-music-manager.com/)? It looks like it is capable of adding additional band related information.
Thanks, again.
Alex
P.S.
One more example, just came across it today - amazing features, band lineup and many more! http://www.fnprg.com/catraxx/
Quote:Using Genre tag for non-genre information is an interesting idea. But when you sort files by name it is all mixed up...
In what way?
kraqh3d Wrote:In what way?

Hi kraqh3d,
I will reply with specifics when get back home. Need to see it in action.
Thanks, Alex
Ok. Open a new thread.
I am having a very similar issue... All my AC/DC albums have duplicate Albums in library mode. Each set of duplicate albums has AC-DC and AC/DC for artists. I have removed all tags and then manually added tags. I've cleaned the library and then updated it. I have gone as far as deleting the music database. I also checked for other tags such as ENSEMBLE as this thread suggested previous.
At this time I am unable to resolve this issue. Any suggestions would be great.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
FNG About to pull his hair out... lol0