• 2(current)
Zbox hd-id11
Quote:I wonder if you need the hard drive ? Can you boot off SD card ?

Suppose it depends if the bios supports it. Is the bios for most ion motherboards the same?
I think it make sense without IR receiver. If I mount it behind the TV, it will be hard to get IR signal.

tehsoul Wrote:if they design it with xbmc in mind
why they would NOT include an IR receiver is beyond me
I posted this in the ion2 thread as well, but here is the first review of the ion2 zbox:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3702/zotac...-than-ion1
From the above article...

Quote:There's a single heatsink + fan that's used to cool the CPU, GPU and NM10 Express chipset. At idle it's barely audible right next to the machine and unnoticeable from across the room. The problem is that the dual core Atom D510 can put out a decent amount of heat under full load. After a lot of testing the fan spun up to 6500 RPM and then noise is another issue entirely. I measured 55 dB(A) an inch away from the unit with the fan running at 6500 RPM. A foot away we're still at 50dB(A).

Not really a step forward on the noise front is it? OH well....
magnetik Wrote:From the above article...

Not really a step forward on the noise front is it? OH well....

No kidding.

I bought a 330 Zotac Mag and the whole time I was messing with it, it seemed too loud, I bricked it updating the bios and had to return it. I was going to return it anyways since I didn't think it would get any quieter.

I think its going to be a while before we see a real "quiet" box.
FYI, these are in stock now at newegg and logicsupply

Edit: Ok, sold out at newegg, but still avail at logicsupply.

TheUni
I was lucky enough to snag one of these.

It boots fast, runs smooth.

Of course, I can't for the life of me get HDMI audio working.

But that seems the be a pretty common dilemma.
Is this box any good thou? - I'm reading fan noise, single channel memory, new ION no better than last gen, no PCI-e slot.....

I'm in the market for an Xbox replacement... just sold my Antec Minuet as it was just too big for my needs... still undecided - Asrock looks to be the best still...?
codexile Wrote:I was lucky enough to snag one of these.

It boots fast, runs smooth.

Of course, I can't for the life of me get HDMI audio working.

But that seems the be a pretty common dilemma.

I am in the same boat -- does boot fast...no hdmi audio :-) plus I am new to XBMC/Linux..
Does your fan spin up after about 3 mins of use? mine starts out quiet - but spins up and is super loud...just curious.
hydog Wrote:no hdmi audio
This should work.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=534...stcount=14
user xbmc is in the audio group.

options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=0 probe_mask=0xfff2 is set

hdmi audio card is being recognized in aplay -l

s/pdif in alsamixer is unmuted.

aplay -D hwplug:0,3 /path/to/wavfile seems to think it's playing sound.

My receiver seems to think it's getting an audio signal.

XBMC stopped complaining about not being able to initialize the audio device.

BUT STILL, no hdmi audio.

I've played around with practically every setting combination in Settings -> System -> Audio Output including custom setting it to hwplug:0,3

s/pdif optical worked out of the box with no config changes. but i don't want to use two cables.

as far as fan noise, it does spin up after a few minutes but it's not loud enough to bother me. i'm not too picky about that stuff though.
codexile Wrote:s/pdif in alsamixer is unmuted.
Usually there are more than one s/pdif lines there. Make sure all are unmuted.
My hdmi is appears as spdif_1 in alsamixer
It seems to depend on my probe_mask whether all 4 show up or not.

Without the probe_mask I get 4 of them, all unmuted, same problem. Sad

EDIT: When I get home tonight from work I'll post some verbose logging.

hydog: If you pull up a little bit on your HDMI cable on the back of the unit, does the video go out? The connection on mine seems really flaky. Wondering if it's a defect with my particular unit or not.

Yet Another EDIT: God bless Anandtech. They describe in this post how they got HDMI sound working. Excited to get home and try it. Check it out here.

Post-Setup Blues: Anandtech guide didn't solve my problems. The patch step fails, probably because the patch was made for 1.0.22.1-2 and the current alsa from svn is 1.0.23-2. I do get some audio output but it's really fast choppy audio.

This error is repeated over and over in the logs and seems relevant. Just for the record PulseAudio is not installed:
23:50:57 T:2587855728 M:1962946560 WARNING: CALSADirectSound::GetSpace - get space failed. err: -32 (Broken pipe)

I reinstalled XBMC Live and s/pdif optical audio works out of the box so I'm gonna use that for now. If anybody figures out this HDMI audio thing please let us know how to get it working on the hd-id11.
My impressions of the ID11 so far, XBMC testing is next:
http://blog.insanegenius.com/2010/05/zot...sions.html
Great review. Sadly this whole unit seems like a fail as far as a HTPC unit - if that little fan is spinning at approx 5000-6000rpm it's going to be incredibly noisy for TV/movie viewing.

If the Shuttle XS35 can get it right (in regards to fanless operation) at a good price point, it's going to blow this unit out of the water in that regard.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Zbox hd-id114