Flaw in Media Sources?
I like that XBMC gives you the ability to create media sources thereby abstracting away the actual storage implementation (whether your media is served from Windows, or Linux, via FTP or SMB, etc). However, the library still holds the "physical" path to the file, wouldn't this be a flaw in the implementation of the media sources?

Wouldn't it make more sense for the library to be relative to the "sources" so that if I change where the media files are stored physically, I simply point my sources to the new location(s) and the library would just work?

Is there such a feature in the product? I'm running from an installed version of XBMCLive on an Acer AspireOne...
Actually, this is in fact impossible to do generally. Multipaths for instance break it. Furthermore, it doesn't really help with the "I moved my media" problem, as it assumes that the subpaths remain the same, which may not be the case.

The better technique is simply requiring that the path <-> metadata link is as loose as possible - this is something we have planned for the library rewrite. It's going to take some time.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Flaw in Media Sources?0