What do I need to record HDTV off my FIOS STB?
So what would I need in order to record in HD? Other than buying the 1212. Is there an internal equivalent?

How are the channels encrypted or copy protected? Doesn't the STB decrypt them?
I'm pretty sure fios has cable card compatability. I know AT&T uverse does, and it's the same type of system. If you could get a cable card adapter and convince verizon to get you a card you could do full HD recording without the box.

All of that is provided you can get software to work with the cable card, and have a compatible tuner, and verizon will give you a card. That's a lot of ifs.
cowfodder Wrote:I'm pretty sure fios has cable card compatability. I know AT&T uverse does, and it's the same type of system. If you could get a cable card adapter and convince verizon to get you a card you could do full HD recording without the box.

All of that is provided you can get software to work with the cable card, and have a compatible tuner, and verizon will give you a card. That's a lot of ifs.

Yeah it is. I'm perfectly happy with having the box, combining everything isn't really a priority to me. Just want to permanently record the shows off of it.
drewbagel423 Wrote:Yeah it is. I'm perfectly happy with having the box, combining everything isn't really a priority to me. Just want to permanently record the shows off of it.

You need to upgrade your service and cable box to either and HD one or HD DVR.

Both item's information is available on Verizon's FiOS website.

And yes, their channels are copy protected and encrypted both to the box and a cable card, you'll need to record them downstream after they are decoded.
- Blackstar
BlackstarBSP Wrote:You need to upgrade your service and cable box to either and HD one or HD DVR.

Both item's information is available on Verizon's FiOS website.

And yes, their channels are copy protected and encrypted both to the box and a cable card, you'll need to record them downstream after they are decoded.

This is exactly what I'm trying to do. I guess I should have been more specific. I already have an HD DVR STB. I want to be able to connect from the STB to my HTPC, and record the output of the already decoded signal. Just like a VCR would have done.
drewbagel423 Wrote:This is exactly what I'm trying to do. I guess I should have been more specific. I already have an HD DVR STB. I want to be able to connect from the STB to my HTPC, and record the output of the already decoded signal. Just like a VCR would have done.

To record HD quality content or SD quality content?
The HD DVR box will output both.

HD content will be either 720p or 1080i, depending on the source and your box's settings, so to get that you'll need a HTPC that can capture analog 3 wire Component RCA from the HD DVR.

But you better hurry. Several cable companies are pushing for the option to 'select' the output of their boxes and eliminate the option to output analog all together to prevent you doing exactly what you're trying to do. Wink
- Blackstar

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What do I need to record HDTV off my FIOS STB?0