Non-fullscreen script
Hi all,

Is it possible to have a script that is non-fullscreen*, or failing that a transparent background in a script?

I have a script that listens on an IP port that I want to pop up relatively discretely when it receives data - that bit works fine, but my window is fullscreen, which could become a bloody nuisance! ;-)

I'm really struggling to find a way to do it.

EDIT: *Much like the Error pop-up that comes up when you try to run a script and it fails.
You can call that dialog directly if you wish - see the Notification built in, or alternatively use a dialog class for your window.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

notification builtin is the best way and the simplyest!

if you want more, you can use windowxml dialog, you can see an exemple in use in my sportlive script.
Hi, Thanks guys.

I did this in the end (I assume this is what you mean by dialog):

Code:
options = ["Front Room", "xxxxx's Room", "xxxxxx's Room", "Our Room"]
    selectDialog = xbmcgui.Dialog()
    selected = selectDialog.select( "Home Control", options )
    selectedItem = options[selected]

Is the windowxml stuff how I would animate windows (like sliding in from the side)?

I've googled and searched a lot, but I can find no examples of how to do this from a xbmc python script.
no, this dialog is a builtin, it's already define in skin.
if you want your own dialog to animate it, you need to create it.
check how my plugin work, it's not a big deal.
Hi, I did try the Sports script, but I can't get it to run (I get the "ERROR. Script Failed" message. I am running on Windows here - although at home I will be running on Linux - I struggle to use Windows, so am probably doing something wrong).

I have tried the windowXML framework from the wiki, but I get the same error with that too.
post your error log, should run.
I don't even know where it is in the Windows version, and I can't search for it as I'm using Vista and the search won't even find a file that's right under it's own nose.

I might just wait until I get home where I can use Linux again.
Ahh, ok. If I navigate to the script (SportsLive) using the XBMC filemanager,then I can execute it, but I only get a blank MessageBox with OK and Cancel on. If I click OK then nothing happens. I select the sript again, then I get the choice off adding things. I add one of the Tennis ones, then click OK, then I'm back to the file manager again.

I'm not sure if this is correct behaviour or not, but I can't see any animation/dialog windows.

Looking in the code, I can't see any reference to WindowXML.
yes, it's correct, have read the first topic a the script to know what it do ?

it will send you a notification or a dialog on screen (see settings) when the score of a selected event change.
soo, you'll have to wait a bit to see a score change (tennis play, should be able to see notification every 4-5 min)
Ahh - cool.

So when I am notified, the window-dialog will appear?

Brilliant!
yes, in scripts settings, you can choose what display to use: builtin notification dialog or windowxml dialog (a dialog bar appear on top of the screen - see screenshot)
Nope, I am truly getting nowhere.

I've even tried the script in this thread: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=24839

...and I still just get errors.

I wish there were some docs for this, (or at least some sort of feedback when the script doesn't work) then at least I'd have a fighting chance! ;-)

If I could just get a window showing, then I'm pretty sure I could work the rest out.
to get the notification window, you need the following:

Code:
import xbmc

icon = "path/to/the/icon.png"
line1 = "Text for the header"
line2 = "Text for the body"
xbmc.executebuiltin("XBMC.Notification(%s,%s,1000,%s)" % (line1,line2,icon))

1000 is display time in ms

call that every time you want to notify user of something
Hi, thanks for that.

I changed your code to include a proper path to the icon etc... but that won't execute either.

I'm starting to think that XBMC/Python on Windows doesn't work - I've hardly had any trouble at all at home (Ubuntu), but I've not managed to get a single script to exeucte without a whole host of trouble all day.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Non-fullscreen script0