Non-fullscreen script
post your notification script you try and a debug log to see what happens/
Yeah, I don't know where the log it, I've searched for all files (*.log - this is Vista mind you, so I don't expect the 'search' to be accurate), but there's nothing returned that looks like it belongs to XBMC.
if you copy the above code into default.py, place it in a folder and copy to the scripts folder, it should work without modification(it wont display icon, but it should work)

If its not working, show us what you have done so far and we can try to help.as ppic said, include the xbmc debug log as well.
dchurch24 Wrote:Yeah, I don't know where the log it, I've searched for all files (*.log - this is Vista mind you, so I don't expect the 'search' to be accurate), but there's nothing returned that looks like it belongs to XBMC.

read the last line of my signature
This is in a file called test3.py, that I put in the scripts folder.

It doesn't show in Scripts by default, but I used the file-manager to execute it.

Code:
import xbmc

icon = "C:\\Program Files\\XBMC\\scripts\\quiz\\resources\\images\\Basket\\default.png"
line1 = "Text for the header"
line2 = "Text for the body"
xbmc.executebuiltin("XBMC.Notification(%s,%s,1000,%s)" % (line1,line2,icon))

I have no idea where the log file is, like I say, I've searched for it, but nothing is returned. I have debug mode on, btw.
Amet Wrote:read the last line of my signature

Hi, I did read that yesterday.It states that the debug log file will be in [app-data]/XBMC, but it isn't.

In Linux, it's exactly where it says it will be, just not on this Windows machine.

In Windows, do you have to create it first for it to write to it?
without debug log, we can't help you more.
We really need it to see what's wrong.
Yeah, I understand.

If I could find it, I'd have a fighting chance of working it out myself too. It just doesn't exist.

Code:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\>dir xbmc.log /s /o /w
Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is 6A6E-0548
File Not Found

C:\>
no automatically created!

on windows you can use user mode or portable mode.
user mod -> log in app data
portable mod -> log in xbmc program root folder
Jees - how did anyone actually use this excuse for an operating systemHuh

The search in Vista just simply does not work. One minute the search for "AppData" (just in case there was more than one) returns 1400 results, then the next, no results.

I really don't think that XBMC is creating a log file for some reason, it's not in Program Files/XBMC and it's not in AppData\Local (or LocalLow or roaming) or AppData on it's own.

XBMC is running in debug mode, as I can see the cpu/memory thing when it's running.
Right, found it:

For some reason it had put it on a network drive P: Huh

It seems that no matter what you save plain-text as in Windows (am using Wordpad), despite saving as "plain-text" it encodes it as unicode and XBMC can't understand it.

Have saved it in TextPad and now it works. Thank you for being so patient with me!

Do you get the impression that I'm not much of a Windows fan?

I'd still like to know how to create my own WindowXML with animation though. ;-)
post your log !!!
Amet Wrote:if you copy the above code into default.py, place it in a folder and copy to the scripts folder, it should work without modification(it wont display icon, but it should work)

If its not working, show us what you have done so far and we can try to help.as ppic said, include the xbmc debug log as well.

without sounding harsh, I hate quoting myself. do as I say in above post.

1. copy the code that I have given you in default.py
2. copy default.py in folder(any name is good)
3. copy that folder to scripts folder
4. execute from scripts
5 post the debug log if it fails

edit: failed to see that you have got it working

what WindowXML are you trying to create? give us what yo have and maybe we can help
Hi, np.

The code I have is here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=5...post532325

I thought it best to start another thread (I hope that was right), as it seemed non-related.

Thanks for the orig. code though, that works a treat now.

Just a quick heads up on what I am trying to do:

Some time ago I wrote a Python TCP/IP listener (although in hindsight I could have used NetCat) that would listen for commands sent to it and execute commands that would turn on/off a series of relays that in turn would turn on/off lights/tv/amplifier/open the front door etc....

With the advent of me putting XBMC on the machine (and we use it for live TV, music etc... all the time), I was hoping to have it notify me on screen when anything is turned on or off, and also have a pop-up or slide-in on a button press when I want to turn something on/off from the TV no matter where I am.

Hence why I wanted to have the notification and a screen that isn't full screen (that can pop up or slide in over the top of video etc...) so I can simply cursor down to say, "Front Room Light" and select "Off".
post your full code directory in a zip so we can try and see better Wink

and choose the topic where you want to continu !

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Non-fullscreen script0