XBMC and Intel HD / Core i3 Graphics
jagilbertvt Wrote:Yeah, definitely sounds like a hardware issue, just figured I'd toss that out there. Have you checked to see if there is a firmware update for your tv?

Yes. The It is a Samsung that is a few years old, but it is using the latest available firmware they show on their site. They don't always post them all though, so I haven't tried emailing their support to see if they have a more recent one that I can try.
Old thread i know but if anyones interested.

To the some of the posts in this thread:
Onkyo 606 horrible hdmi board faults warranty repair didnt even fix mine properly i had it replaced with a pioneer which then later had incompatiblities with my new tv at certain refresh rates so then i got that replaced with the onkyo 608.

Core i3 handshaking issues, try a longer HDMI cable it will fix some things.

Now as for my little problem. I've got a core i3 530, 1x2Gb stick, latest XBMC beta that was just released (scrapping no longer lags which is good and it has many other bug fixes over the previous nightly's, very happy with it), however although the latest beta has improved performance with dxva and windows 7, i find some 1080p movies i have. District 9 and Dark Knight to be exact at certain high bitrate points it will drop frames and the gpu hits 100% usage. Is this the ff-h264 decoder not being efficient enough? Or possibly Intel drivers need improvement. Maybe its an x264 encoding setting thats just pushing the GPU to hard? Everything else plays fine, blurays and 720p etc.

Anyway does anyone else have issues with the gpu just not seeming to be powerful enough for ALL variations of x264 encoded movies?
Thanks for any help
joel_ezekiel Wrote:Anyway does anyone else have issues with the gpu just not seeming to be powerful enough for ALL variations of x264 encoded movies?
Thanks for any help

Yeah, Intel GPUs are less robust. But that is ok- I bet a broadcom card or a Popcorn Hour would choke on the same content.

Only hardware decoding platform that seems to tear through everything is VDPAU....

I haven't noticed any issues with either of those two movies on my i3 530?
markrankin Wrote:That's nice, vaapi seems to be working.

Marky.

What about HighRes upscaling with lanczos filter. Is it working?
avus m3 Wrote:I haven't noticed any issues with either of those two movies on my i3 530?

Well, as i said most movies seem to work fine but there are just a few that arent, those 2 1080p mkv's being the only 2 i have tried on core i3. I brought this because of the bitstreaming for blurays in windows. Previously 8200 on board with vdpau and xbmc live never had a problem. It's not to big a problem because if i want to take up alot of space on my fileserver with a 1080p movie i'll just put the full bluray rip on there and they all play fine. Just trying to figure out if maybe the GPU is just not fast enough for some x264 encodes... or if software/drivers still needs some tweaking.

Could always put a fanless 5450 radeon in it anyway.
Is anyone successfully using Core i3 based HTPC with Linux version of the XBMC? It seems for this release cycle it will be Lucid based and from what I understand 2.6.35 of Maverick is required. Is anyone distributing packages for Maverick already compiled with libva to support VA-API?
Mutovkin Wrote:Is anyone successfully using Core i3 based HTPC with Linux version of the XBMC? It seems for this release cycle it will be Lucid based and from what I understand 2.6.35 of Maverick is required. Is anyone distributing packages for Maverick already compiled with libva to support VA-API?

Well I've been trying to get this working, but haven't gotten any far. I have maverick installed, with the Lucid SVN build of XBMC. I don't remember however if my GPU was rendering any movies, or if it was all done by the GPU. I'll check it when I get home tonight.

I do still have problems with the 5.1 audio through HDMI, and was thinking of switching to Windows Sad.

Anyone else got any different experiences with the combination of XBMC - Intel HD and Linux?

-Just tested today: MOvies don't get rendered on my GPU (vcpu usage +-1% - CPU usage however: 30%). Anyone got an idea how to get this working under linux?
Great news for Windows users! FFMpeg now supports h264 now for intel gpus. Still no vc1 yet. Users are saying it even plays the high bitrate and out of spec profiles.

[WINDOWS] Experimental H.264 DXVA2 hardware acceleration support with Intel GPUs
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=83743
Joris Wrote:Anyone got an idea how to get this working under linux?

It MIGHT work for Natty Narwhal with its newer Xorg. I plan to upgrade my Intel text box soon to test. Intel drivers in Linux really have imploded in the last year and a half, it is a minefield of pain.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=ar...r_19&num=4

The situation has me buying Nvidia cards I don't even need to help keep them in business. Without Nvidia the Linux HTPC market would be nothing but struggle....

poofyhairguy Wrote:Intel drivers in Linux really have imploded in the last year and a half, it is a minefield of pain.

The situation has me buying Nvidia cards I don't even need to help keep them in business. Without Nvidia the Linux HTPC market would be nothing but struggle....

Haha...a minefield of pain. Hilarious but true. As I understand it a lot of development is being pushed towards them recently though. Same goes fro ATI.

ATI has no excuse since it is their core business and they should provide viable drivers. At least for Intel hardware acceleration and such is relatively new. The next gen gpu for Intel is supposed to be pretty fantastic according to what I read at Anandtech. Big Grin

Low power integrated gpus like in the core line are where it's at for HTPC's.
My personal opinion is that Intel is gumming up the works, and Nvidia keeps setting a faster pace.

From my understanding the basic holdup with VAAPI is that its not stable enough yet. I mean the actual VAAPI API is stable, there is no problem there. What instead is the problem is that it has been hard to make it so that the many different types of hardware covered work well.

And I really blame Intel for that.

It was their GPU group that could never make a decent GPU so that they had to license that PowerVR tech. The first video platform to make the best use of VAAPI was the GMA500 from Intel powered by the PowerVR, and it was full of proprietary tech that made the driver very closed off. Which it had to be, because Intel's GPU arm failed at its mission in life. The GMA 500 is a monster.

That was a big problem because up until that point (and still really) Intel was doing a LOT of heavy Xorg lifting. I mean whoever employes Mr. Keith Packard owns the majority share of Xorg as far as I am concerned. And for a while the synergy was great- until the big AMD source dump open source GPU hardware meant Intel.

But then they release this closed off monstrosity that has the features we need behind a gilded gate. And so suddenly VAAPI ran into the NVidia problem- the only drivers that worked for it for a while were closed!

The Nvidia problem of course is that if you have closed drivers then its impossible to figure out if a Xorg problem is in Xorg or if its in the driver.

Nvidia gets around this problem by hiring Xorg wizards to fix all the problems: When VDPAU was released Nvidia didn't just wait for the community to work it in, they released a patched Mplayer with it. That is how Nvidia rolls.

But this problem was new for the open source side of the Xorg driver community. And it wasn't the only problem.

There was a lot of infighting over whether XvMC should be extended or a new thing rewritten. Also the open source drivers have pretty much redone memory management in the last few years (plus all the composite work) so even without VAAPI there is tons of more basic things to work on.

In that environment, Nvidia didn't stand still. VDPAU based color correction, sharpening, and de-interlacing was added. In newer Nvidia GPUs, divx upscaling was added. They kept cranking out hit after HTPC hit to a very receptive audience. We can't get enough ION!

Nvidia VDPAU delivers more today that it seems that VAAPI will deliver for a while, which makes it a tempting option for practicalists. Also you can bet that Nvidia will keep rolling out the good stuff (Maybe HD Audio bitstreaming in the 4xx series?) which makes them a safe bet for the future....

Mutovkin Wrote:Is anyone successfully using Core i3 based HTPC with Linux version of the XBMC? It seems for this release cycle it will be Lucid based and from what I understand 2.6.35 of Maverick is required. Is anyone distributing packages for Maverick already compiled with libva to support VA-API?

Have a look at http://doityourselfhtpc.wordpress.com/20...-and-xbmc/ for getting xbmc and libva up & running in ubuntu. The article was written based on a Ubuntu 10.04 install.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC and Intel HD / Core i3 Graphics1