Hardware/OS recommendations for SD compatible system
Hi Everyone,

I've decided to build an HTPC utilizing XBMX to manage my household's media collection and hopefully make life easier on everyone. I've spent the last several days reading the forums and perusing the wiki, and I think I've only managed to confuse myself even more.

After reading the relatively positive reviews of the Atom/Ion combination, I was set to try the Acer Revo, but ran into a snag when it came time to connect it to our system... We don't have an HDTV yet, so I need something with an s-video connection. While we've been thinking about a new TV, everything in this room is controlled by a Yamaha A/V receiver, which also drives stereo speakers throughout the house. Replacing it with an HDMI-capable receiver looks to cost as much (or more) as a new TV, so it's not in the cards at the moment.

So, I've come to the realization I need to build something from scratch, and therein the problem lies. I'm not sure what cpu/motherboard/video card solution would be ideal.

If someone could make some recommendations and point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it. The primary goal is to use this HTPC to access media stored on a network server. We plan on migrating our physical DVD/CD collection to the server, along with pictures, mp3s, etc. If this unit works well, we'll probably build another one for the other living area.

Here are my thoughts on the system. I'm hoping someone can help transform them into specific hardware suggestions.

OS: Linux preferably, though I have an extra XP license if needed. The only reason I've found that Windows might be needed is to access Netflix content, but it looks like this can be done on a Linux XBMC box using Playon software running on a separate Windows PC. If anyone has any experience with this I'd love to hear it. The Roku box in the family room was an instant hit, and we want to access Netflix from this HTPC if at all possible.

CPU: I like to support the underdog, so AMD preferably. I just have no idea what to pick since processor naming became so confusing. Eventually we will upgrade to HDTV, so I want to be able to play 1080p content without a problem though I understand this has a lot to do with video card selection these days.

Mobo: I'd appreciate suggestions on what features to look for, brands to stay away from, etc. I'm thinking mATX due to the added video card. I'd love to stay with something the size of the Revo, but it doesn't look possible.

Video card: Looks like I'm pretty well stuck with Nvidia if I want to use Linux without a major hassle. I've found cards with s-video out and the following chipsets:

8400GS
9400GT
9500GT
9800GT
GTS 250

What's the minimum recommended chipset, keeping in mind the card will be tossed when we upgrade to HDTV since none of the s-video cards also have an HDMI port. If you know of another s-video card that I missed I'd love to hear about it.

Ram: Couldn't find a minimum memory recommendation for XBMC anywhere. Is 2gb sufficient?

Thanks for any suggestions you guys can offer.
From your needs I would recommend:

Just getting a modded Xbox.

I mean, honestly the only reason people have moved past Xboxes for XBMC is because they want things like HDMIs and HD playback. If you are just gonna playback SD stuff than a modded Xbox1 would work great. You can probably get one pretty cheap- at least as cheap as the GPU you are gonna "toss."

That way when you actually get the new TV that allows for HD content, you can just get an HTPC then. If the wait will be at least a year and a half then by then there will be second generation ION2 boxes that will do everything you want in a small cheap package.
I second that. You can get them for very very cheap now a days, or spend 40-50 bucks for a refurb and install Linux yourself.

I've made 3 modded xboxes now and I think I spent a total of less than $150 for all of them and the supplies needed.

The DVD remotes I think I got for around $2 bucks a piece, $5 bucks for the game needed for the install (Splinter Cell) $25 bucks for the USB game/memcard adapter and a blank CD for the Linux software.

Will take you all of 15-45 minutes to mod it and set your xbmc prefs and network numbers depending on how familiar you are with the process.

There are several online guides to help. Anything more for SD playback is complete overkill. Wink
- Blackstar
Nice responses guys Smile I started off thinking about HDMI converters and other crazy stuff, when the simple, and most effective answer, was quite... well, simple. It's nice to have such smart (and quick) minds in the forums Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hardware/OS recommendations for SD compatible system0