Mouse Support
Do any of the builds or mods support using a mouse? I wasn't able to click on menus and such using the "latest" build I tried.
No, XBMC is a 'media centre' and not a 'media player' hence the reason there's not much mouse support.
Ok, I like the skin a lot, but I'll go with ones that have better support. You should really look into adding it since more and more people are using it on machines hooked up to TVs now, but oh well. Thanks for the quick response.
Machines hooked up on TV? Controlled with a mouse?
It's like asking for an umbrella when you may use a parachute. Buy a cheap remote and then you can say you have a media center.
daleybox Wrote:since more and more people are using it on machines hooked up to TVs now

Actually, i think thas it is exactly the reason why you do -not- need mouse support :p

Ps: great skin, Hitcher
Can't really play games or surf the web or edit photos very well with only a remote now can you. Some people actually use their machines for other purposes as well, crazy concept I know. This skin is nice, but lack of mouse support shows lazy development in my opinion.
The skin has nothing to do with these tasks. Your OS and software does, but there you have mouse support. So, problem solved.
daleybox Wrote:Can't really play games or surf the web or edit photos very well with only a remote now can you. Some people actually use their machines for other purposes as well, crazy concept I know. This skin is nice, but lack of mouse support shows lazy development in my opinion.

What does any of what you mentioned have to do with this skin, let alone XBMC? Lazy development? You can't be serious.
If it bothers you that much do what I did. I have a remote control which I use 90% of the time, for when I need keyboard & mouse I have the Shintaro Wireless kb with track ball ready to go. Great product in my opinion and cheap. Remote is defnitely the nicest way to navigate through XBMC though. If you really must use mouse then just use one of the many other skins that does allow mouse.
daleybox Wrote:This skin is nice, but lack of mouse support shows lazy development in my opinion.

I'm blown away you just said that. I've been following Hitcher's work for awhile and I can't believe all the time and resources he's not only put in developing/creating skins, but in supporting us users.

What an idiotic response to a stupid question in the first place.
Whilst i agree that mouse support isn't wholly desirable when using XBMC as a media centre.... I have to admit that using alaska and other skins with an MCE remote isn't always as straight forward as the wiki makes out to be!

being able to sit back and watch, well pretty much anything you like! Is a great feeling, and having the ability to play and organise music at your fingertips is fantastic Smile

But the wiki puts forward the idea that all MCE remotes are compatible pretty much out of the box, this is not wholly true...

I use xbmc from a headless ubuntu based box which is under my stairs and a long old cable to the TV - makes it interesting when i have to reboot!

I have battled for weeks, got bored, let it be for a while, gone back to it, read and re-read the wiki pages.... got frustrated and actually asked on the forum... to be directed back to the wiki page, to get my MCE remote to work how i want to with XBMC.

The functions i require can be accessed (even in Alaska... with the threatening red x of a cursor!!) by using a mouse, and i can see no other way of accessing them other than re-mapping buttons on the MCE remote! but when i re-map the buttons... nothing.

example:

Simple, i want to map say the green "start" button on the remote to the Tab key. This is so that when i'm using tvcatchup i can go back to the list of channels and if i don't want to change i can go back to fullscreen... or when playing music so i can go straight to visualisation

So i edit the remote.xml in my home directory - no difference - something like:
from
<start>PreviousMenu</start>
to
<start>Tab</start>
or
<start>FullScreen</start>

I edit the core remote file in /usr/share/xbmc/system/keymaps/ - no difference. Same arguments tried...

i find it very odd as above "start" in the .xml is:

<display>FullScreen</display>

But i cannot find this button on the remote? And when i try to map this function to the start button nothing comes of it Sad

also the following section from the remote.xml here does nothing:

<myvideo>XBMC.ActivateWindow(MyVideos)</myvideo>
<mymusic>XBMC.ActivateWindow(MyMusic)</mymusic>
<mypictures>XBMC.ActivateWindow(MyPictures)</mypictures>
<mytv>XBMC.ActivateWindow(Home)</mytv>
<red>XBMC.ActivateWindow(Home)</red>
<green>XBMC.ActivateWindow(MyVideos)</green>
<yellow>XBMC.ActivateWindow(MyMusic)</yellow>
<blue>XBMC.ActivateWindow(MyPictures)</blue>

all very frustrating. I have enough going on in my head trying to get python straight for a plugin i'm working on without trying to figure out the inner workings of xbmc right now, so for the moment whilst this is annoying.... it can be lived with by using the right click menu from the remote - if i set the mouse in just the right position i don't even have to see the red cursor for more than a moment !

Oh! and after my long moan.... I cannot say a bigger THANX!! to all the people who keep xbmc alive with hours of effort put into making it THE best media center software out there Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mouse Support0