Subtitle menu
atm xbmc has two buttons for subtitles:
L = cycle subtitles
T = Toggle subtitles on and off

This is unecesary in my opinion, and complicates the use with a remote (most remotes have only one subtitle button).
if there where only one button to cycle the subtitles, where the last option is "disabled" it would be much easyer.

say there are 2 subtitles, i think there should be 3 options like "English", "Portuguese" and "disabled". what do you guys think?

also, i dont know if this is possible, but i have a dvd player that recognizes subtitle language in the name. Say i have 2 subs, one is named "Avatar.en.srt", the other is "Avatar.pt.srt", when i toggle them it recognizes and displays "English" for the first one and "Português" for the second one (third option is "disabled" lol)

Thanks
i would find it much much less useful.

we should support those langcodes as well.
Agreed with spiff - toggling between off and "On with the subtitle the user normally wants" sounds like the best way to do things. Obviously this requires knowing what language the user prefers.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I think mzst's idea makes a lot of sense. It's more in line with how DVD and BluRay players operate... I'd love to see this implemented.

What's wrong with knowing which language the user prefers? Couldn't one assume that if I use Portuguese, there's a good chance I always use Portuguese subtitles when they're available?
To be honest I don't like the way subtitles work on dvd remote and much prefer the XBMC style setting for subtitles. I hate cycling through a dozen subtitles just to turn them off.
i am sure we could figure out a way to make one button do both.

maybe something like 1 press would ether enable or disable based on what the current setting is and multiple presses would let you cycle the subtitles? this way user could just enable/disable and cycle between multiple subtitles with one button.
EMK0 Wrote:i am sure we could figure out a way to make one button do both.

maybe something like 1 press would ether enable or disable based on what the current setting is and multiple presses would let you cycle the subtitles? this way user could just enable/disable and cycle between multiple subtitles with one button.

yeah, thats actualy a pretty good idea. i think this way everyone would be satisfied Wink
I just typed my dream subtitle choosing system very detailed and then accidental pressed refresh. :@

I will post the idea in fewer words.

I'm from Sweden and speak both English and Swedish.

So if a movie is in Swedish or English i would like the subtitle to be off by default.

If the movie is in lets say German. I would need a subtitle. In this case i would like the Swedish subtitle to be activated by default. If it is not present then the English should be chosen. And if none of those two in not present. Then XBMC should be able to scrape the web for Subtitles.

I did type a more thorough explanation of the idea But I hope you can understand what I mean anyway.
MadCowDzz Wrote:I think mzst's idea makes a lot of sense. It's more in line with how DVD and BluRay players operate... I'd love to see this implemented.{

+1
Jaken Wrote:I just typed my dream subtitle choosing system very detailed and then accidental pressed refresh. :@

I will post the idea in fewer words.

I'm from Sweden and speak both English and Swedish.

So if a movie is in Swedish or English i would like the subtitle to be off by default.

If the movie is in lets say German. I would need a subtitle. In this case i would like the Swedish subtitle to be activated by default. If it is not present then the English should be chosen. And if none of those two in not present. Then XBMC should be able to scrape the web for Subtitles.

I did type a more thorough explanation of the idea But I hope you can understand what I mean anyway.
Agreed. It would be so much nicer if it automatically downloaded the correct sub so I dont have to fiddle with it in the middle of the movie. Maybe have a setting somewhere in the video section where you can choose your languages and what actions you want? This doesnt seem do difficult as we already have a subtitle script and most MKV subs have the language specified. Not sure about srt's though, but maybe if they had the Movie.en.srt as mentioned above it would work. Just my 2 cents.
Would a 'forced only' option also be considered somewhere in the mix??

I have many movies where subtitles for both english, and translations are present within the same sub file.

'On' would display the sub in its entirety.
'Forced Only' would only display the subs when the Navi talk.

Not sure if anyone else would find that beneficial...
I the long version of my post i suggested that forced subs should be activated by default if they exist. They are probably there because they are needed.
How about this:
If you press the subtitles button it cycles through the available subtitles;
If you press and hold the subtitles button it toggles subtitles on/off

All other ideas in this post related to automatically downloading/selecting subtitles are nice but it seems to be they don't have to much to do with the topic at hand witch is: "the subtitles button and how it should work" regardless of prior automatic download, default setting and/or selection of subtitles. The button would be used after that for human override.

Personally I would also love to see a subtitles button in the playback interface for those like me that don't have any special remote and use a simple mouse or a smartphone to control the media playback
so every one is fine with 2 buttons ? when 1 button could be made to do the same as 2. I have only one subtitle button and I have to choose between the two actions.

I still think 1 subtitle press should turn off or on subtitles based on the current setting and if pressed more then once sycle throught the subtitles

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Subtitle menu0