• 4(current)
[LIVE] Complete EMUs/ROMs in Live (Acer Revo)
I'm just wondering if anyone tried to use Snes9x instead of zsnes? Afaik zsnes hasn't seen updates in a long time, so my guess would be that Snes9x (which is updated on a regular basis, see here) could run (more?) games with better hardware support and so on...
So, anyone tried it with Snes9x? Unfortunately my Linux skills are still under heavy development Laugh so my only choice is to rely on guides by others by now.

Kind regards,
Rick
Has anybody tried the NDS emu for linux yet? http://ideasemu.biz/
wolffmart Wrote:Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, Gens does not do SMS. I guess i'll keep looking for an SMS emu.

mednafen does SMS. Look in my post on the first page (unless you mean windows only, through I'm pretty sure mednafen is multiplatform).
Does the mednafen version have to be higher than what's in the repo? I tried one with a sms extension and mednafen exited right after starting, so i'll assume it didn't work. Which version are you running to get it to work?
TheHazel3yes Wrote:I'm just wondering if anyone tried to use Snes9x instead of zsnes?

Snes9x was another EMU I had issues with on the Acer. I gave up as ZSNES runs absolutely perfectly with no need for compiling, and a ton of packages I don't need. It also had the command line arguments I was looking for. The repo version of ZSNES is fairly old, but if it works I don't see any reason to fix it.

Personal set up update - I'm running two Logitech Wireless Rumble Pad 2's with no issues on all three EMUs. Fantastic.
Hello everybody

I have a strange problem and I've tried anything I could think of...

First here's my configuration:
Ubuntu Karmic Koala with XBMC 9.11+svn28256-karmic1 (from http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc-svn/ppa/ubuntu).

I'm running XBMC in standalone mode on the computer which is connected to 2 screens (first is computer screen when I have to work on my computer, second screen is my HDTV).
The launcher script used is the patched one from here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=464...tcount=582

The problem is when I launch a SNES game with the launcher, the TV screen goes black, if I touch the remote control at this moment I hear XBMC sounds. Then I send send a command to XBMC with HTTP-API: in Firefox I go to this address: http://ip.of.my.xbmc:8080/xbmcCmds/xbmcH...Action(199)

and now I see my game running and if I press ESC on my remote control the game exits and I return to a non fullscreen XBMC. I have to manually resend the "Action(199)" comand to go back to fullscreen

I have no idea why this doesn't work automatically with the script, maybe the wait time is too short ?

here's my launcher.xml:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<launchers>
        <launcher>
                <name>Zsnes</name>
                <application>/usr/bin/zsnes</application>
                <args>-m</args>
                <rompath>/home/xbmc/Emul/ROMS/Nintendo SNES</rompath>
                <romext>zip</romext>
                <thumb></thumb>
                <wait>true</wait>
                <roms>
                </roms>
        </launcher>
</launchers>

I don't have any other arguments than "-m" as everything is well configured in the zsnes config file (~/.zsnes/zsnesl.cfg).
The only relevant part is I think:

Code:
cvidmode=22
; Last windowed & fullscreen modes (used when alt-tabbing)
PrevWinMode=16
PrevFSMode=22

; Custom Resolution X and Y for Custom Video Modes [256x224..2048x1536]
CustomResX=1360
CustomResY=768

which tells ZSnes to go fullscreen with the resolution 1360x768

and finally, the part of xorg.conf for my HDTV:

Code:
Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen1"
    Device         "Device1"
    Monitor        "Monitor1"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "TwinView" "0"
    Option         "metamodes" "DFP-0: 1920x1080_60 +0+0; DFP-0: 1920x1080_50 +0+0; DFP-0: 1920x1080_60i_0 +0+0; DFP-0: 1920x1080_50i +0+0; DFP-0: 1360x768_60 +0+0; DFP-0: 1280x720_60 +0+0; DFP-0: 1280x720_60_0 +0+0; DFP-0: 1280x720_50 +0+0; DFP-0: 1024x768_60 +0+0; DFP-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Sorry for the long post, but I gave you all the information I could think about Big Grin

if someone has an idea I could try, I would be pleased to read you !

thanks everybody Big Grin
Did you modify you launcher_plugin.py as mentioned in this post:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=72441
I'm using the patched version of the launcher which already includes the modification xbmc.executehttpapi("Action(199)")
, so I don't think this is the problem.
I am also running the patched version. If I recall correctly, xbmc.executehttpapi("Action(199)") was already in the first spot. But, I had to add it so the second spot which is around line 254.
PunkyMatt Wrote:I'm using the patched version of the launcher which already includes the modification xbmc.executehttpapi("Action(199)")
, so I don't think this is the problem.

I made this exact mistake. The patched version only includes "action(199)" for loading applications not roms.

Search later in the file and you'll the same calls as the application calls, you need to add xbmc.executehttpapi("Action(199)") there as well.
TheDuffMan Wrote:Does the mednafen version have to be higher than what's in the repo? I tried one with a sms extension and mednafen exited right after starting, so i'll assume it didn't work. Which version are you running to get it to work?

I don't think so. I just did apt-get install mednafen and it works out of the box with all Gamegear and SMS roms I've got.

Code:
xbmc@XBMCLive:~$ apt-cache show mednafen
Package: mednafen
Priority: optional
Section: universe/games
Installed-Size: 5672
Maintainer: Ubuntu Developers <[email protected]>
Original-Maintainer: Ryan Schultz <[email protected]>
Architecture: i386
Version: 0.8.C-0ubuntu1
Depends: libasound2 (>> 1.0.18), libc6 (>= 2.7), libcdio7, libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1), libsdl-net1.2, libsdl1.2debian (>= 1.2.10-1), libsndfile1, libstdc++6 (>= 4.1.1), zlib1g (>= 1:1.1.4)
Filename: pool/universe/m/mednafen/mednafen_0.8.C-0ubuntu1_i386.deb
Size: 1936168
MD5sum: 20e01c13787bc3c229ff650963f0cb7d
SHA1: d113da56f671ef825150e1d9b6925046e2d60d8a
SHA256: 68dfab897a27af0e1791109fc2744e4b65a2f0edec0fba8a196599f26fc05b24
Description: multi-platform emulator, including NES, GB/A, Lynx, PC Engine
Mednafen is a command-line driven emulator for many different systems. It
has full support for OpenGL and SDL graphics, network play, remappable input
configuration, joystick and keyboard support, save states, game rewinding,
GSF playback, and screenshots.
The systems supported by Mednafen are:
    * Atari Lynx
    * GameBoy
    * GameBoy Color
    * GameBoy Advance
    * NES
    * PC Engine (TurboGrafx 16)
    * PC-FX
    * SuperGrafx
    * NeoGeo Pocket, NeoGeo Pocket Color
    * WonderSwan
Hardware emulated by Mednafen includes:
    * NES gamepad, Zapper, PowerPad
    * Four-Score, Famicom multiplayer adapter
    * Arkanoid, HyperShot, Space Shadow, Mahjong controllers
    * Oeka Kids tablet, Quiz King buzzers, Family Trainer, Barcode World
    * Game Genie
Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug
Origin: Ubuntu
grassmunk Wrote:I don't think so. I just did apt-get install mednafen and it works out of the box with all Gamegear and SMS roms I've got.

Can you post your SMS config from launchers.xml? I am running the latest version from the repo and cannot get it to run SMS roms. I don't see any mention of SMS on the mednafen website or documentation.
This is really fantastic!!! Dont't have full-screen working yet, but guess that just needs a bit playing around with the options, so I should soon be all set. Thanks for the great descriptions!!!

Just 2 questions:

1) How did you get you all the nice covers and the emulator covers set? Found them one-by-one over "get thumb"? Doesnt work well for me? Or did you download and place them in the folder directory?

2) What about other games? Are there other emulators around that could be integrated?
* Atari 2600
* XBOX
* Nintendo 64
* Nintendo Game Cube
* Nintendo DS
* Dream Cast
* Playstation
* Playtstation 2
* PSP
* Commodore C64
* Neo Geo

Any thoughts?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
1) Covers are discussed a few posts before with a link to download covers for Genesis, GBA/GB, NES, and SNES. Probably one of the easier ways to do it - will still require a fair amount of manual work. Get Thumb isn't really effective. A png or jpg named the same as the rom will auto-pull as your cover art work if you reimport the directory.

2) There are - and any Linux emu should work for the most part (a few may be sluggish on an Acer 1600 though) - but of what you listed most do not have true working emus.
Izod517 Wrote:1) Covers are discussed a few posts before with a link to download covers for Genesis, GBA/GB, NES, and SNES. Probably one of the easier ways to do it - will still require a fair amount of manual work. Get Thumb isn't really effective. A png or jpg named the same as the rom will auto-pull as your cover art work if you reimport the directory.

Indeed, sounds like a lot of manual work, but let me follow this path. What about the icon for the actual emulator (not the games)? Love how it is shown in the first post of this thread. Same logic?

Izod517 Wrote:2) There are - and any Linux emu should work for the most part (a few may be sluggish on an Acer 1600 though) - but of what you listed most do not have true working emus.

Anyone with first-hand experience with any of the emulators above? I am actually running it on an Atom 330 with 2GB, so would hope that speed might be fine?!
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] Complete EMUs/ROMs in Live (Acer Revo)2