XBMC Live Revo HDMI -- no sound :(
Hi All,

I've trawlled through so so many posts trying to fix this porblem but have just been unsuccessful -- I cannot get sound to work in XBMC on my r3610.

What I'm using:

Acer Aspire Revo r3610 with XBMC Live 9.11
NVIDIA Drivers 195.36.24
HDMI cable running to a Sony BRAVIA TV
As far as I can tell Ubuntu Karmic is installed underneath

What I have tried so far:
I have tried XBMC Audio settings to reflect hdmi/hdmi with and without downmixing. I have also tried using plughw:0,3 as a custom option.

I have used alsamixer to ensure nothing is muted and volumes are max. Though I do note that I cannot Mute/unmute for 'PCM' whatever that is.

It's been 4 days now - I must admit I hardnly know what I'm doing as I'd never touched linux 5 days ago. I've learned a lot to come this far - but this sound problem just excapes me.

Comments appreciated!!
What kind of sound? Have you tried tracks with AC3?
Any / All sound

I've not been able to get anything through. I even followed a guide used for enabling menu sounds in xbmc and I've still got nothing.

I've played mp3's / .ts videos / .mkv videos / .avi videos...

No sound will come through.
Stanton73 Wrote:Any / All sound

I've not been able to get anything through. I even followed a guide used for enabling menu sounds in xbmc and I've still got nothing.

I've played mp3's / .ts videos / .mkv videos / .avi videos...

No sound will come through.

Are you hooking it to a TV or a AV receiver? Did you try disabling all AC3 and DTS support?
I've got the hdmi going direct into the Sony Bravia - If I'm honest I then have sound over the old red and white cables (RCA?) from the Bravia into an older Sony 5.1 Amp that does not take hdmi - however - I have the advantage that with this setup sound still comes primarily through the TV, and then the Amp - this means that if I turn the TV Volume up I get sound coming through the TV at the same time as it coming out of the Amp (although with a slight delay causing echo). Accordingly, I just keep the TV volume down at all times (except while testing this).

To answer your question - I have fiddled with all combinations I can think of in xbmc audio setup regarding DTS / Dolby / Digital mixdown / hdmi / plughw:0,3...

My primary concern is for sound to be functional on the assumption that it just going HDMI direct into the TV and that's all.

If that can work I'm satisfied.

It pains me so much that dispite all my reading and now SIX days of testing I cannot get so much as a beep.

Hope this helps - happy to answer further questions or provide more details.
Did you run alsamixer and make sure the HDMI and master volume are not muted?
I have the same problem, I'm running:
Acer Aspire Revo 3610 with XBMC Live 9.11 (XBMCfreaks v14)
NVIDIA 190.53
HDMI cable going directly to the TV

I've tried all sorts of combinations in the Audio Output section (including custom), checked AlsaMixer and all sound levels and tried various sorts of audio. All I get is a ticking sound from the TV speakers.

Here is my aplay -l output, although I suspect this is the same for every Revo:
Code:
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC662 rev1 Analog [ALC662 rev1 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC662 rev1 Digital [ALC662 rev1 Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
  Subdevices: 0/1

Strangely, with certain Audio Output combinations the headphone jack on the front of the Revo does produce sound. I have a feeling this might have some relevance to the problem and it's solution but after spending hours searching through forums I'm starting to run out of ideas.

If anyone has any ideas or another Audio Output combination I haven't tried it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tipiot
Tipiot Wrote:I've tried all sorts of combinations in the Audio Output section (including custom),

that's nice, but what exactly did you enter when trying "custom"? see, usually it works for the live distro and a revo when typing "hdmi" but sometimes you need to enter "plughw:0,3" for primary audio and passthrough

remember to let xbmc downmix when plugged directly into a TV and deactivate the DTS/dolby stuff in case the LCD doesn't support downmix
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Live Revo HDMI -- no sound :(0