Stereo to 5.1 upmix
Hi,

does ANYBODY know, how enable in latest builds STEREO (2.0) to 5.1 (digital SPDIF - AC3) upmix?

I don't find any working solution.

Soundcard and reciever are capable and working - tested via AC3 filter. DSplayer is not solution for now, it has still too much bugs.
most receivers have prologic or the dts neo systems built in.

are you not happy with those?
AC3 is better for me, but is possible to use DTS. But question is still same - how? I spent last two weeks reading forum, wiki, testing and trying many configuration... In this forum I didn't find clear and working solution...
What neil.j1983 means is that most receivers can do the upconversion instead of having XBMC do it. Moving on from that, look at your receiver manuals to see how to setup dolby prologic or dts neo for stereo sources.

I know with my onkyo, there's a window in the setup that I can go do set decoding/encoding default formats for a variety of incoming stream types (mono, stereo, etc.) I have any stereo stream coming to the receiver to be output in dolby prologic II movie mode.
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
Gigabyte MA78GM-U2SH Mainboard
ATI HD3200 Onboard
AMD 7750BE Dual-Core 4.00GB RAM
ATI HD3200 HDMI Sound
HTPC HMDI -> ONKYO TX-SR605 -> Panasonic TH-46PZ85U Plasma
Yes, reciver can do some kind of upmix, but quality is not charming, it's a reasong why I want to do upmix in XMBC.

So, it's looking that XBMC are not capable to do upmix, right?
at the moment, i dont think it can.

but i believe there are plans to do it at some point (i would guess a fair bit into the future).
pepazbrna Wrote:Yes, reciver can do some kind of upmix, but quality is not charming, it's a reasong why I want to do upmix in XBMC.

The dsplayer strain of xbmc supports directshow filters including both ac3filter and ffdshow. I have ffdshow's audio filter atm upmixing both my mp3 and ac3 2 channel collection to AC3 5.1...
Sad 
Yes, I know that dsplayer with AC3 filter works that way that I need, I've test it, but there are some limitations - dsplayer is designed for video, and some function not work (like visualization, of course) and some function are very problematic (playlist queue not work, after stop command is next song played insted stop playing, ...). In final version it will be probably working, but for now is this solution without comfort. This is reason, why I write in first post that DSplayer is not solution No

I think, that simple (working) setting "extend stereo" in system setting would be so nice...
pepazbrna Wrote:Yes, reciver can do some kind of upmix, but quality is not charming, it's a reasong why I want to do upmix in XBMC.

It's never going to sound as good as 'real' 5.1 whatever is doing the mixing.

Personally, if it's not Pro Logic encoded I'd leave it as stereo.
Hitcher Wrote:It's never going to sound as good as 'real' 5.1 whatever is doing the mixing.

Personally, if it's not Pro Logic encoded I'd leave it as stereo.

Having a sound card capable of DTS Connect and Dolby Live I have to disagree to some extent. Being able to replicate the left and right channels in the rear/surround speakers does produce a nice effect for a surround system without resorting to matrix type pseudo surround. Almost like listening to headphones with more environmental ambiance. Bass management is also a plus.

Your still listening to stereo with a distinct stereo effect but utilising your other speakers. (also good when you are not in the same room)
Yes being able to use all the speakers is always nice even if it is just R L

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Stereo to 5.1 upmix0