Will a busy HDD lead to pixalation during playback?
At random times (sometimes not at all during the whole movie) when I stream from a HDD (mkv 1080p) I get pixelation during a frame like you get when you FF/RW. I'm wondering if the reason is because the HDD I stream from is getting too busy? I'm often seeding a lot with bittorent from the same HDD.

I'm running Win7 and using trunk 28256 over a gigabit LAN.
I dont believe it should. The queues would drain and the picture would just pause all together.
Does the problem go away if you are doing nothing on the HDD but stream that video?
gabbott Wrote:Does the problem go away if you are doing nothing on the HDD but stream that video?

I haven't tried as I'm running utorrent 24/7. I guess I could turn it off for a couple days and see if it still happens. But if according to SlaveUnit pixalation isn't even a symptom of a busy HDD I don't know what good it'd do.

If pixalation occurs once during a movie, it will almost always occur multiple times later on.
If I rewind and play same scene pixalation won't show up again.
I think I've never seen it happen with DVDs, AVIs, or 720p MKVs.

So how should I troubleshoot this?
I guess I could pause the movie when it happens, see if utorrrent is seeding a lot (+5 MB/s) and try turning it off. But I don't know if it really matters if I'm seeding 10 torrents with combined upload of 1 MB/s or +5 MB/s.

Would a pixalation error show up in the normal XBMC log? Obviously I can't run the debug log during a movie. Isn't there a way to run the dubug log without the text overlay?

Maybe this thread is getting OT for the support section. Though I just wanted to know if busy HDDs led to pixalation.
What video card do you have?

Just pause the damn torrents for 5 mins. Big deal. Your credits arent going to be effected that much. You could have already tried that by now.
Quasit Wrote:I haven't tried as I'm running utorrent 24/7. I guess I could turn it off for a couple days and see if it still happens. But if according to SlaveUnit pixalation isn't even a symptom of a busy HDD I don't know what good it'd do.

It would be an easy troubleshooting step to at least answer your question of whether the problem is possibly due to a busy HDD.
Quasit Wrote:Would a pixalation error show up in the normal XBMC log? Obviously I can't run the debug log during a movie. Isn't there a way to run the dubug log without the text overlay?

if debug is enabled, then sure it is logging while playing a movie.
gabbott Wrote:if debug is enabled, then sure it is logging while playing a movie.

What I meant the RAM/CPU overlay is annoying when watching a moive. Not that it wouldn't create a debug log during playback.
Quasit Wrote:What I meant the RAM/CPU overlay is annoying when watching a moive. Not that it wouldn't create a debug log during playback.

Might be the price you'll have to pay to track down your issue if it ends up a debug is the only way to troubleshoot the problem Smile

Don't believe there is a way to disable that overlay
Oh, another troubleshooting step, what if you were to play the video locally on the xbmc box instead of streaming it?
Could some please have a look at my debug log? I got a sudden pixelation at ~01:18:00, after that I closed the movie and XBMC. I guess it might be somewhere in the log 23:21-23:22.
http://pastebin.com/YmbTDbbC

I was getting many pixelation errors today so I got tired of it and changed to an unofficial build (30234), hoping it would help. I was using 28256 before that. But it doesn't help a bit. It's not the file itself as pixelation won't happen if I rewind and play the same scene.

I'm streaming using SMB, with these settings http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=63123

I haven't tried using an external player, I'm hoping the debug log might show something.
I've used an external player (MPCHC) for over a week now and XBMC 28256. I played all 1080p MKV h264 with MPCHC and the rest (DVD & 720p) with DVDplayer. I've never gotten any pixelation since then.

So this rules out everything but the DVDplayer. Could someone please look at the debug log?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Will a busy HDD lead to pixalation during playback?0