Please help me select
Question 
Hi everyone,

I've spent hours looking here, but it seems like it's best to ask those with experience to help with my case. I'm looking to get a media player with following features:

1) Able to read from network share drives : particularly from my Unraid setup. So I like to be able to share the movie folder I have on my local unraid server over the network with the media player. This also means I don't mind it if the media player has very small hard drive (or none) since my media will be all in my server.

2) Has component or Svideo output in addition to HDMI. We have an older sony tv which does not have HDMI/DVI/VGA connectors. Of course an upgrade will happen in the future so HDMI capability should be there too. If there's nothing that offer it, is there a viable conversion adapter and which would be the best (e.g. VGA->component, DVI->svideo , ...) and what about the sound.

3) well this is a given, but it should be able to run the full XBMC smoothly and without jitter and tearing.

Options I can live without but are good if are there:
Wifi, Dvd drive, Internal hard drive, eSata, ....

Just to mention, during my search I noticed someone mentioning Myka which would have helped me with with #2 but appears to be a scam!? Oh and I'm not afraid of putting together a htpc myself though I don't have much time and I would need to know if the exact setup has been tested to work for my 3 requirements....

Thank you all, Nod
If you need S-Video then:

Just get an Xbox. Without a TV with an HDMI port you can't benefit from HD sources anyway. The only thing a regular Xboc running XBMC can't do is HD, so that is perfect.

When you do get a modern TV, THEN build a HTPC with parts that will be better/cheaper in the future!
How about a pre-built system that takes graphic cards? I can probably find a graphic card that outputs component and HD. To me any money spent on a non-expandable system like Xbox is a waste.
Someone might find this post useful.....

If you are looking for a video card with svideo out and hdmi, this card may work for you, just have to make sure it can fit in your htpc setup:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814162020

I have personally decided to go the AppleTV route. It does have the component output I'm looking for, supports XBMC, and for full HD there's that crystal HD card.....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Please help me select0