boots to tty1
Hi Guys. I am trying a hdd install of the live cd on my acer 7520 laptop, which I intend to use as a pvr. Both the live cd and the hdd install boot to tty1 rather than starting x, and I assume the problem is the ati video driver.

Any hints on installing a working driver would be appreciated.

System specs are:

CPU: Dual core AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile TL-60 2 ghz
Graphics: Card ATI RS690M [Radeon X1200 Series]

The live cd version is using ubuntu 9.10
OK well I ran apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade and now it boots past tty1 and stops with a black screen with the message:
"XBMC needs hardware accelerated OpenGL rendering.
Install an appropriate graphics driver."

I consulted the wiki as the message suggested but It is not clear if my graphics card is supported or not. It is only 2 ish years old and I am pretty sure it supports directx9. Will check into that.
Can anyone confirm my suspicions that xbmc on ATI radeon cards will only work with fglrx and not with the radeon open source driver? If that is true, then I am wasting my time as fglrx support for my card stopped with xorg 1.6..........

Is there an old version of xbmc live available that uses xorg 1.6?
miks Wrote:Can anyone confirm my suspicions that xbmc on ATI radeon cards will only work with fglrx and not with the radeon open source driver? If that is true, then I am wasting my time as fglrx support for my card stopped with xorg 1.6..........

I got xbmc running with the open source driver but GUI performance was terrible so I didn't take it any further. There may well be some fix for the issues I was having but the fglrx driver works for me so I didn't spend any time trying to get it working.
miks Wrote:Can anyone confirm my suspicions that xbmc on ATI radeon cards will only work with fglrx and not with the radeon open source driver? If that is true, then I am wasting my time as fglrx support for my card stopped with xorg 1.6..........

no, radeon cards can also work with the OSS driver, i dont have this hardware here, but i have made some quick tests with my own distribution OpenELEC.tv which includes also the newest ati OSS driver (the generic build). If your CPU is fast enough you can also play 1080p without big problems. For more informations see http://www.openelec.tv or get one of the latest snapshots from http://snapshots.openelec.tv (no official release avaible at the moment).
greetings, Stephan

Thanks guys.

Stephan, OpenELEC.tv looks interesting. I will try it.
miks Wrote:Thanks guys.

Stephan, OpenELEC.tv looks interesting. I will try it.

Hi miks,

thanks, feel free to use the forum on openelec.tv if you have problems or questions, i will help you (also if i must include changes to support your hardware).
greetings, Stephan

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
boots to tty10